Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 y/o Grandgirl with SCI (LONG)

4 y/o Grandgirl with SCI (LONG)

Hello all... if you had told me 6 months ago that I'd be writing this post or even reading an SCI bulletin board, I'd have had a hard time believing you.

But at 8 a.m. on March 25, 2008, our daughter and her 4 y/o daughter were returning home from taking the 2 older girls to school when they were hit head on by a (big) dual wheel pickup truck driven at high speed by a drunk driver.

The driver walked away with only a fractured jaw and was later arrested and charged with 2 counts of DUI mayhem.

Our daughter had all the bones in her legs broken (some compound fractures), both knees destroyed, and suffered internal injuries, including a lacerated liver. The airbags saved her life.

She spent 12 days in ICU 10 of those on a ventilator, underwent 5 operative procedures, and suffered all the sequela of trauma (including DIC and ICU Psychosis). Her nursing and medical care was excellent, though. She never had an infection, decubiti, or pneumonia. Her wonderful husband never left her side.

Now 5+ months later, she continues in outpatient rehab and we are told it will take up to a year for her to completely recover (if she ever does.) She started walking with a walker 6 weeks after the wreck when she was told she would not be able to bear weight for 3-4 months and now she is walking unaided. She has had THE BEST home care physical therapist ever!!! Praise be to God!!!

Although she was properly buckled into a child safety seat, unfortunately, our precious baby grandgirl, Gracey, received a complete SCI at T7. Essentially, the impact of the wreck threw her forward with such force that it "stretched" her cord. She was diagnosed with T 7 SCI-WORA ASIA A. She was taken to our state's only children's hospital where my husband and I stayed with her since her Daddy was with her Mama. She began rehab there 6 days after the wreck and came home after 3 1/2 weeks.

Five weeks after the wreck, while her Mama was still recovering at home, my husband and I flew with Gracey 1100 miles north to The Shriners' Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. There she was started in their excellent rehab program, was fitted with braces (TLSO and AFOs) and was measured for braces to aid her in "walking". Gracey's care there was nothing less than excellent! After 3 weeks, we brought her home.

Three and 1/2 months after the wreck her Daddy took her back to Shriners' where the therapists got her up in the braces and started her "walking" with a walker. What a wonderful day that was! What a blessing!

Gracey's miracle had begun!

She left Shriners' after 10 days and went to Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore where she was again assessed and a few modifications made to the walking braces. Now, although she is still wheelchair bound and has no sensation or movement below her belly button, she walks with a walker and the braces every day. She also has a FES bike and uses a stander. She also love to go to pre-school. The therapists at KK contacted the pre-school director and Gracey's teacher and assisted them in preparing the school for Gracey.

Just this week this I discovered this web site and have received so much info, encouragement, and hope for a bright future for our Gracey.

I so regret that this awful, needless tragedy happened to our innocent little girl, but I am grateful for this site and the ability to access it.

I appreciate each post I read and all your encouraging words. I am strengthened and encouraged by your experiences and admire each of you.

God bless you all...
    Gracey's Grammy

The great thing about kids is that they're so resilient. Good luck and it sounds like you have a wonderful, supportive family!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Sigh! I'm so sorry to have to read this. Blessings to you and your family at this trying time. Also much grace be to Gracey.

JuneBaby,

Shriners' is really great place for recovery (Let me expand on that... they are, in my opinion, the best place for kids with spinal cord injury ever and anywhere). I hope with all my heart that your grand-daughter recovers completely. If not, we are committed to doing everything to restore as much function as possible.

Wise.

It was heartbreaking to read this. I wish your daughter & grand baby the best of luck in recovery.

This is a good site you will learn alot.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Your spirit shines out in this post, and so does that of Gracey. I'm an old hand and am a bit misty. May you all continue to find what you need, and to treasure each other! I hate that SCI happens, and it's the most unfair when it happens to kids. Yet she sounds like the luckiest girl ever, to have such a loving devoted family-especially her grandma!

I expect that driver suffers in his very own hell. 'Nuff said about that.

If you and your family keep seeing the blessings when they appear, this won't keep any of you down. It a tough row to hoe-I'm so glad Gracey has the best, most loving help while she's hoeing.

Give her a hug from Oklahoma! And hug yourself, too. You so rock!

My thoughts are with you and your family June Baby. I wanted you to check out this little guy too and the rehab he is going through, it might help your granddaughter.
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...king_Again.htm

Junebaby, it's good that you found this forum. You couldn't ask for a better mix of expertise and experience on dealing with SCI, from all sides. Wise's offer of commitment is much, much more than just words. It sounds like Gracey has been receiving the best care available, but when you have any questions at all, please do ask away. SCI affects the most intimate parts of our lives, so don't be inhibited.
    I hope your son-in-law is handling all this OK, that's a terribly heavy load that was placed on him, too. He's very welcome to join us - there are other parents of children with SCI here, too.
    Best wishes
    - Richard

Welcome to our community and thank you for sharing your story. I am glad you found Shriner's....so many families do not.

(KLD)

Many thanks to each and every one of you for your kind and uplifting posts. It takes time and effort to respond and it really means alot to me.

Wise, I appreciate so much your commitment to treatment and a cure.

EAK thanks for the link about Chase... this is what we love to hear about.

I look forward to learning more through this forum.

Gracey's Grammy