Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, When Are You Gonna Get Out Of That Chair For Good?

So, When Are You Gonna Get Out Of That Chair For Good?

Someone asked me this yesterday. He's seen me walking with forearm crutches, which I use for short distances on good days.The person who asked this is a generally nice guy and I'm sure he didn't mean to upset me, but this question always puts me in an emotional place that is not very comfortable.

I feel like I've been sentenced to a life in some kind of fucked up limbo/pergatory between walking full-time and using a wheelchair. Not too many months after my injury, a PT told me that I would probably always need a wheelchair for anything more than short distances. This opinion infuriated me at the time; but more than a year into this journey, I'm beginning to see that her opinion was correct and I'm trying to accept that it's OK. However, everytime someone asks me the question stated above I am hurled into a sea of self-doubt and gulit over not being able to walk full-time just by "trying harder."

Yep! That is one of the most hurtful questions I get, too. Another statement that drives me to sadness is, "it breaks my heart to see you in that chair." I try not to lash out at these well meaning people, but I have to admit that I have a few times.

Cheerily:"Just as soon as I can. I'm working on it." (and i hope you roast in hell until my effortless, fully functional walking breaks the curse my shit eating grin just cast upon you.)
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I get a variant of this. People tell me about so-and-so's cousin's brother, who had an injury "just like you" and the doctors said he's never walk again. But he swore he would do it anyway, and he worked really hard and prayed every day and now he's walking again!

Different injuries have different effects. Even some people here on this forum don't understand that!

I think it's a fairly normal and understandable reaction - in most people's experience, one recovers from injuries, like a broken leg. It's a matter of education.
    Some day...
    - Richard

Danine and everyone - I share your frustration about people making comparisons to their injuries, or to the injury of someone they know. I love it when someone says, "I know exactly how you feel walking with those canes, I broke my leg last year."

I am two years and fifteen days post injury (but who's counting). If there is one thing I have found it is that everything takes monumentally longer than you hope or plan that it will for recovery and rebuilding.

Don't ever be satisfied. Just keep working a little more each day. And push the limits every time you can. I am not asking you to be patient because the whole things sucks. Just keep working. Everyone's inury and recovery is different so I know what works for me may not work for you...but you owe to yourself to try.

Quote Originally Posted by AK686
    Danine and everyone - I share your frustration about people making comparisons to their injuries, or to the injury of someone they know. I love it when someone says, "I know exactly how you feel walking with those canes, I broke my leg last year."

I am two years and fifteen days post injury (but who's counting). If there is one thing I have found it is that everything takes monumentally longer than you hope or plan that it will for recovery and rebuilding.

Don't ever be satisfied. Just keep working a little more each day. And push the limits every time you can. I am not asking you to be patient because the whole things sucks. Just keep working. Everyone's inury and recovery is different so I know what works for me may not work for you...but you owe to yourself to try.
    You should post more often, AK686. You have wisdom to share. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AK686

Welcome to CC. You're right on the money.

I'll get out of this chair when God calls me home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    Welcome to CC. You're right on the money.

I'll get out of this chair when God calls me home.
    Listen up, God is an idiot if he put you in a chair, what was you? A bank robber or something?

SoFla & Mona - thank you for your kind words. You will probably see me around a bit more. I look forward to "chatting" with everyone.