View Poll Results: are you ok with your injury?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • has it helped you?

13 5.65%
  • has it ruined your life?

104 45.22%
  • did it save your life?

13 5.65%
  • are you just ok with it and keeping on?

100 43.48%
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: how many really think they deserved this injury or benefitted by it?

I have long arms and it gave me a chance to test my reach.

I also got to go to college and having made a friend of a nuclear physicist in rehab who found the program and school and offered to write me a recommendation, I got to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana.

I've always regarded that the opportunity to go though the liberal arts courses at four different colleges was one of the greatest and most worthwhile of my life. Although I never had plans to use my education to find a profession and never did, the discipline taught me how to study subjects that interested me. Post my degree I returned to college on several occasions to take geology, astronomy, paleontology and other courses. On my own I persued a thorough knowledge of evolutionary theory and read Carl Sagan, Francis Crick and Stephen J Gould, which helped put the claims of creationism into a healthy perspective and give depth to these lines by T. S. Eliot.

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
    Through the unknown, unremembered gate
    In many ways I feel that I got more out of my college experiences than most do, including those who go on to have careers they needed the college degrees to help secure. However, if I had it to do again I think I'd get a good job in a science field and work for at least a decade or so for the money and experinence of doing science.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Did I deserve this? Absolutely not. I was first disabled during birth. That injury caused cerebral palsy. No child and no family deserve that.

Did I deserve to have an SCI in '93? Again, absolutely not. No one deserves this.

Have I benefitted from it? No. However, I have seen times my dissed being has found ways to help others through my experience.

My Dad was very badly burned in an industrial accident. He lost much of the use of his hands. He has disabled hands to this day. I was able to show him how to use the backs of his hands to do certain things he thought he could not due to very impaired finger function when he first came home. He was burned in late December '79 and spent months in a military burn center.

I thought I knew from disabled hands due to my cerebral palsy. I did not. Enter SCI in '93.

I can see how CP made it so I had more of a mindset of "I'll find a way to get **whatever it might be ** done."' My CP'd self was all I'd ever known.

I had to employ what I'd done my entire life to my SCId body in '93. In one sense the CP helped because my life was about adapting my body, environment and objects to live dis in an ab world. My CP also made it harder because I was not ab when SCI came to call. I wasn't starting at the same physically high functioning level most others do. I was already knocked physically by CP.

As I age I find my body slowing and changing so I'm continually trying new things to get what I want and need to do done.

I think (hope) we all do this when we realize these are the bods we have. Some days are worse than others, but I'm still alive and still glad I'm alive the majority of the time.

I don't think anyone deserves this, and I can't say that it's benefited me. However, I have learned to live with my disability. I do believe that things happen for a reason. I was 16 years old when I had my accident, and I was the passenger. The girl that was driving was drunk, and walked away with a mild concussion and a broken leg. Even though I was at a party, instead of at the movies - which is what I told my parents - this is something that no one should have to go thru. I wouldn't wish what I went thru on my worst enemy! But, that was 20 years ago, and I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful little boy, and a fairly decent life, despite the disability and pain. I just try to see the brighter side of things, and not focus so much on the negative. I too have good days and bad, but I try to remind myself that things could have been alot worse.
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Doorman
    Cali,
    Very well said!
    thanks!

dgrotz, i'm sorry you're having a hard time, my thoughts are with you.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doorman
    Cali,
    Very well said!
    +1 more vote for Cali!!

the root of suffering is comparison. comparing yourself to others, to yourself long ago, to some imagined future. it's non-sense for me and i don't do it.

I'm not getting out of this 'life' thing alive, whether I 'deserve' to die or not.

i believe we are co-creators of everything that happens to us.

i was a co-creator of this event, even though i certainly didn't see it coming or 'deserve' it.

i didn't ask to get run over, but i bought the bike. i decided to ride it that fateful morning instead of go to the beach with my family. i decided not to wear my back protector 'cause it was so hot out.

every decision i ever made in my entire life led me to that intersection that morning, as did every decision the kid who hit me led him there too, with me, at that exact point in time.

hell, i could have stayed on the crapper for 2 extra minutes that morning and avoided this entire situation.

some like to call it coincidence, but i call it a convergence of 2 entirely purposeful realities.

i believe we live in a chain of causality and it's more than just one link deep!

the law of unintended consequences does not mean 'shit happens', it means, we make decisions everyday and have to live with the results, even if the last link in the chain wasn't 'our fault', i believe we own the entire chain, and are therefor co-creators.

based on this belief, i conclude (for myself) that hating this situation is tantamount to hating myself, something i can't and won't do.

life is too short...and with SCI, statistically, even shorter still.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I can't even pick one of the choices. I don't think anyone is OK with the injuries/situation. Even when you have those vocal critics who say "it was their own fault " or whatever phrase they use aren't thinking before they speak. Because, in my opinion even if there is some truth in that the family members and friends didn't sign up for the situation/lifestyle. But, as they say it's only my opinion.

I don't think I don't deserved it and I think it greatly decreased the quality of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    No and no.

I believe strongly in Chance. Sometimes, shit just happens. What is important is how you deal with it. Not that succumbing to pain and a lack of purpose and independence is something I would condemn anyone for. Even that can be handled with grace.

C.
    Carol,

I'm starting to think you're a closet Hellene.

I remember when I first read Sophocles' Oedipus Rex and considered the themes as a part of my high school English syllabus. The Ancient Greeks very much believed in a sense of 'fate' or 'destiny', but at the same time believed the choices we make in our lives ultimately determine our 'quality of life'.

Sometimes shit just happens is right. There is no reason or purpose for this devastation. Yes, SCI forces us to change and grow - if we are to prosper.

But the price of the lesson is pretty bloody steep...

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    it helped me. it gave me discipline, insight, the ability of caring, stronger love, reality, and although i have a long way to go and will until the day i die...it made me grow up. i had everything i wanted before. but when i look back, there were always things missing i ignored or settled with. at 18, what do you expect, life is that way. i wanted everything done yesterday. school, my crappy job, living at home with the fighting because of my younger brother, i wanted freedom.
    Cali,

I think I agree with most of what you're saying, but as I get older the less 'grateful' I am for the lessons SCI taught me.

It definitely forces you to mature etc., but at 33 most of my friends have a carefree independent existence I can only dream about as a C5 complete quad. Though, I don't think you mean to suggest the price was worth the lessons. I think you're just choosing to make lemonade out of lemons - which is pretty much my life motto.

As for SCI 'helping', I used to believe that when I was younger. But now, with the perspective of age, I realise it was a coping mechanism. I chose to believe SCI has given me something positive as a way to reconcile and comprehend the utter devastation of it all.

Frankly, I'll take the ignorant bliss of a non-SCI existence any day.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Cali,

I think I agree with most of what you're saying, but as I get older the less 'grateful' I am for the lessons SCI taught me.

It definitely forces you to mature etc., but at 33 most of my friends have a carefree independent existence I can only dream about as a C5 complete quad. Though, I don't think you mean to suggest the price was worth the lessons. I think you're just choosing to make lemonade out of lemons - which is pretty much my life motto.

As for SCI 'helping', I used to believe that when I was younger. But now, with the perspective of age, I realise it was a coping mechanism. I chose to believe SCI has given me something positive as a way to reconcile and comprehend the utter devastation of it all.

Frankly, I'll take the ignorant bliss of a non-SCI existence any day.

Chris.
    yeah, i'm sure i'll feel differently about it later in life, like when i have kids and i can't go every place they do (like in cabinets or up a few stairs to get away from me...knowing myself, i will have sneaky little toddlers like that) but for now, i'll just keep my ideals. maybe this is my ignorant bliss
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com