View Poll Results: are you ok with your injury?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • has it helped you?

13 5.65%
  • has it ruined your life?

104 45.22%
  • did it save your life?

13 5.65%
  • are you just ok with it and keeping on?

100 43.48%
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: how many really think they deserved this injury or benefitted by it?

While I think this is an absurd question, who deserves a spinal cord injury anyways, I often wonder what would have happened if I hadn't gotten hurt. I was drinking a lot back then and not because I was depressed about because I was partying constantly. I didn't always make sure I had a designated driver and I often wonder if I would have killed someone drunk driving. To answer the question, this absolutely ruined my life. I had a good career going, something that according to my family I was destined to do, was making lots of money, had a beautiful girlfriend, a nice car and lots of friends all of which are gone now and not much has gone wellsince I've been hurt.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I voted I'm just ok with it. I know I'm fortunate that I don't go thru alot of sci crap such as pressure sores, pain, bowel and bladder but if I did I'm sure I'd be thinking differently hopefully I'll continue to be just ok. Now all I need is for time to slow down because I still have so much I need to do.

it helped me. it gave me discipline, insight, the ability of caring, stronger love, reality, and although i have a long way to go and will until the day i die...it made me grow up. i had everything i wanted before. but when i look back, there were always things missing i ignored or settled with. at 18, what do you expect, life is that way. i wanted everything done yesterday. school, my crappy job, living at home with the fighting because of my younger brother, i wanted freedom.

there are so many things i would never trade to be ab again. would i have gained all that later on? maybe or probably, but you never know when your clock gets sick of tickin, and i'm glad i have what i do now, right now at this moment. i don't focus on this as a poor me, i'm not who i was, i don't live the same, look the same, don't get the respect i deserve, can't pee or poo on my own, sometimes i piss or shit myself, fall out of my chair because i passed out or my dog yanked me out of it, but that's life! that's bat shit crazy, unpredictable, evil life.

i'm not who i was. well, i am, but i'm better. i'm more patient and understanding. i have higher standards for myself and others around me. those standards are based on good things, not "what i deserve". i do look the same, i'm just sitting down. and if people want to look at me like i'm less than anyone else, then they can take a piss in the wind. as for respect, you earn it. i know that, and if people don't want to give it to me, i either didn't earn it or i never wanted theirs to begin with.

i can't change what happened. all i can do is live my life how it's most important to me. keep my body in shape, keep active, eat well, *try* to sleep every night, and live a normal life. brooding about the what if's and shoulda coulda wouldas won't make things magically better.

like i said, it helped me. i could have gained all that i have in four years eventually in my life, but since i can't get a do-over, i have it now because of something i'd rather be oblivious about happened to me. i can't change it. but i can change how it affects me.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Sorry here I'm only one yr out but. What kind of stupid question, and what kind of relevanmce, judas h pahreist.

guy, many ppl have told me sci (over my 22 yrs of dealing with it) was the best thing that happened to them. they have told me it saved their lives, got them off drugs, saved them from driving drunk and killing ppl, etc. i know drug addicts who now do motivational speeches and literally thank whomever they were injured.

just look at cali's answer (not that cali is/was a drug addict sorry cali)

thus, my poll.

i am actually kinda surprised at the numbers saying it ruined my life. mayhap, i didn't phrase options very well.

ty all for contributing your personal comments. i think it's helpful to everybody to see these real life stories. turn off "reality tv" and tune in reality. too many ppl continue to sustain this injury with no cure or even good help.
    Last edited by cass; 09-04-2008 at 01:44 AM.

I was injured 23 years ago, and I've done a lot of things and met a lot of people because of it. Since I was injured at age 3, I have no idea what life would have been like without the SCI, but given what I know, I say it helped.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    guy, many ppl have told me sci (over my 22 yrs of dealing with it) was the best thing that happened to them. they have told me it saved their lives, got them off drugs, saved them from driving drunk and killing ppl, etc. i know drug addicts who now do motivational speeches and literally thank whomever they were injured.

just look at cali's answer (not that cali is/was a drug addict sorry cali)

thus, my poll.

i am actually kinda surprised at the numbers saying it ruined my life. mayhap, i didn't phrase options very well.

ty all for contributing your personal comments. i think it's helpful to everybody to see these real life stories. turn off "reality tv" and tune in reality. too many ppl continue to sustain this injury with no cure or even good help.
    i'm totally offended!

j/k, it's cool
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Deeserved it? No freaking way.

Ruined my life? Absolutely, thanks to the pains that resulted from it, I was unable to have a life. Between pains and scoliosis-caused lack of balance, I could never drive, and steadily lost the ability to do ADLs, due to my upper back and shoulder blade pains and problems.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Tonight at 5 am will be the 10 year anniversery of my DUI accident in which my cousin had died so yes I do feel as though I got what I deserved but I selected that it has ruined my life. I am a little depresed right now so it may not be the best time to ask.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    it helped me. it gave me discipline, insight, the ability of caring, stronger love, reality, and although i have a long way to go and will until the day i die...it made me grow up. i had everything i wanted before. but when i look back, there were always things missing i ignored or settled with. at 18, what do you expect, life is that way. i wanted everything done yesterday. school, my crappy job, living at home with the fighting because of my younger brother, i wanted freedom.

there are so many things i would never trade to be ab again. would i have gained all that later on? maybe or probably, but you never know when your clock gets sick of tickin, and i'm glad i have what i do now, right now at this moment. i don't focus on this as a poor me, i'm not who i was, i don't live the same, look the same, don't get the respect i deserve, can't pee or poo on my own, sometimes i piss or shit myself, fall out of my chair because i passed out or my dog yanked me out of it, but that's life! that's bat shit crazy, unpredictable, evil life.

i'm not who i was. well, i am, but i'm better. i'm more patient and understanding. i have higher standards for myself and others around me. those standards are based on good things, not "what i deserve". i do look the same, i'm just sitting down. and if people want to look at me like i'm less than anyone else, then they can take a piss in the wind. as for respect, you earn it. i know that, and if people don't want to give it to me, i either didn't earn it or i never wanted theirs to begin with.

i can't change what happened. all i can do is live my life how it's most important to me. keep my body in shape, keep active, eat well, *try* to sleep every night, and live a normal life. brooding about the what if's and shoulda coulda wouldas won't make things magically better.

like i said, it helped me. i could have gained all that i have in four years eventually in my life, but since i can't get a do-over, i have it now because of something i'd rather be oblivious about happened to me. i can't change it. but i can change how it affects me.
    Cali,
    Very well said!