View Poll Results: are you ok with your injury?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • has it helped you?

13 5.65%
  • has it ruined your life?

104 45.22%
  • did it save your life?

13 5.65%
  • are you just ok with it and keeping on?

100 43.48%
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: how many really think they deserved this injury or benefitted by it?

I did not deserve this injury nor did anybody do it to me. Mine was from a tumor growing inside my Spinal Cord. Do I get pissed? Sometimes yes, but I realize that we all lose something everyday. This just happens to be alot in one day.

I chose to live on in the pain of SCI but really what else is there except to adapt and make the most out of life. No one said Life was Fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    This is pretty good advice Juke gave you. I've been working on getting past not blaming someone for my SCI (see answer to Bethany for that) but for killing my little sister when I was a week shy of 13 and she was 10. He was an off duty fireman and should have known so well what happens when you drive drunk. He got off scott free because the paramedics from his station responded. After sending the neighbor girl off to weeks in the hospital and years of differing therapies; they plugged a banana bag into him. A fireman checking for gas leaks inside the garage under the cars found my sister. She died 3 hours later never regaining consciousness. After dealing with my sister they took their time at the scene before taking the drunk in for a blood test. The hospital was still busy working on the girl next door so more delay for the test. He was under the 0.10 DUI cut off when they finally drew blood.

About a year ago I finally asked my bff to look up the newspapers from that time. I couldn't handle finding them back when it happened and Dad or our neighbor's Dad had the newspaper boy send them over to another neighbor's. My brothers found them but I couldn't bring myself to read them. Anyway, she couldn't believe this guy got off with no broken anything and a dozen witnesses who saw him weaving at 50 mph down a suburban street posted at 25.

Anyway, I called my Dad and told him I was thinking of writing this guy a letter. "Why?" Because I don't want him dying thinking he got away with this. I want him to know when he dies that someone remembers and I don't want him to die easy. "Sue, leave it be. It will eat you alive. Let it go." My Dad is rarely wrong. And I think he's right again. It sure as hell isn't easy though. And to have a sister now to help deal with this SCI stuff would be nice. Not physically help but emotional support, you know.

Jen, I'm 49 now. It will eat you alive. Sue and get a decent settlement if you can but let the blame go. You don't have to forgive whoever it was; but, you have to look forward. Concentrate on that as much as possible.
    You both are right. But it's been only 8 months since the accident and every morning when I wake up and I realize that it was not a nightmare, I can't help but to feel angry. At the same time, I am tired of feeling like this, and I want to start enjoying "my new life" because I am not dead, I am alive, and there many things I still can do, and many things I can learn. -

This blows.....I have no enjoyment in it, and cant think of how it has made my life "better"...there werent nothing wrong with my other life.

I finally click this thread to answer it, only to discover that OJ has already answered for me. Argh!

Specifically, the "benefits" are few and far between, but I try to take the good and let the bad slide off me like water to a duck's back.

My life would have been a lot more fun (and probably risky) if the injury never occurred. I would take my old life back in an instant if I could.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Spinal cord injuries should be against the law. It is a hellish way to live. No one deserves this.

how many really think they deserved this injury or benefitted by it?

None of us deserve this.

Satan is a thief. He did this to us. Some of us helped him.
    Played right into his plans. God gave us a perfect body to enjoy life to it's fullest. But every chance the devil gets he will ruin lives.
    I'm not better off because this isn't in God's plan. But I'm stronger and have better control of my future. The devil won't steal any more of my joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    No and no.

I believe strongly in Chance. Sometimes, shit just happens. What is important is how you deal with it. Not that succumbing to pain and a lack of purpose and independence is something I would condemn anyone for. Even that can be handled with grace.

C.
    I'm too tired to bash out an original answer, so I'll plagiarize Carol's which sums up my thoughts well but with fewer four letter words.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The only damn good thing to come out of this is that I was able to force the Pittsburgh V.A. system into supplying cable TV to all the beds in all the facilities. I raised $20,000.00 and then they had to do something. Still took a year and a half of constant aggravation. Had two articles in the paper which made all the difference.
    When I arrived there we only had 6 channels.
    No one even ever said thank you.

I am just Lucky that my injury happened when I was 49 and most of my life was over.
    I have worked and traveled all over the country as a public servant in the parks and forests of North America.

Still I think every day, what more could I have accomplished.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I voted the last choice, but ok is a little too positive.

I don't think it happened for a reason, although I sometimes do wonder what would have happened if we went to the park to sled instead of staying in the backyard. Perhaps the choice to stay home, prevented something worse. But I have trouble thinking that God had a reason for this. (My mother found out much later that my uncle (her brother) who is very involved with the religious community, and works for a missionary organization said this to me in the hospital. I guess he was very lucky that she didn;t know at the time. I have seldom seen her so angry.)

Did it help me? Well there are a few positive things, mostly related to my relationships with my family.

Ruined my life? Again too strong. It sure messed it up though. I think the fact that I was 48 at the time, and I had lived a good chunck of my life already may help here. (Although, I don;t think most of it is over yet ForestRanger!)

And it certainly didn;t save it. (At least that I know of, see above).

I guess what would really fit is that I am accepting this, and moving on.
    OJ had the right term.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I think I could deal with my injury better if I could remember how it happened. Don't know if it was a result of tripping over something when I fell or if I was just walking along and forgot about the opening of the steel tank I was working on.

The only benefit was that my injury happened at work and that my comp insurance hasn't let me down on getting anything I need for equipment or medical supplies.
    If I was meant to have wheels under my ass, what the hell are these legs for?
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1455040496