Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get through the hard days

Bethany, I didn't tell you this before, because I figured you would think I was some kind of nut. But I actually found this site because of you. I had seen a post from you on another site. You were the first person I had ever heard of that was able to walk after an sci. I read all of your posts and you talked about this site.

You gave me hope. You and Dogger are amazing to me. I tell Joe about you all the time. He doesn't always want to hear it, though. I think sometimes he is afraid of hoping too much, that it won't happen for him. He's afraid that his recovery will just stop. Anyhow, thanks everyone. My family thanks you too. I'm much more calm after coming to this site. A few minutes ago I was a stark raving idiot, screaming about the snow being tracked all over the house ..........
    Thanks , STAcey

Stacey-
    There you go, girl. You have MADE MY DAY. I think I found your remote control. Go to http://ecom1.sammonspreston Then in search, put in remote controls Click on Tek Partner universal remote. Bookmark this Sammons Preston catalog.

Nobody can say if your husband will walk. What I always say is, we know for sure nobody walks if they don't try. It's too bad he won't come to this site. When I was first hurt it seemed kind of depressing, the reality of the deal. There are quite a few more walking quads on this site than Dogger and me. We're just vocal.

Tell your husband about the statistics for improvement in Dr. Wise's article. Those are cold hard facts from a respected researcher. At Rutger University, no less.

I am so glad I could help, I just can't tell you.

Dogger-Hope you didn't mind my speaking for you.

Stacey and Betheny, your story sent chills down my spine. How cool!! It's amazing how many good things have come from this site...and continue to pop up each day. We could all write books, couldn't we?

As for getting through the hard days, I really can't add anything new or profound. I'm a mom, like Jackie...BTW, Jackie's description of Matt in a snit made me laugh out loud. Bri is so seldom in a snit, or bitchy...but when she is, I just look at her (saying silently, "I can SEE the aliens inhabiting your body, girlfriend!!") and walk out.

I guess I'd say, just keep coming here Stacey; it's a tremendous help.

Vicky

P.S. Should I tell dogger he's great and his ex is crazy, or is his head big enough as it is???

hmmmmmmmmmm.......
    Isn't it interesting how all the women are crazy about Dogger? And yep, you can number me in his fan club too!

By the way Dogger, great jokes today!

TV remote

Here is the one we have in the day room where I work:

http://www.optelec.com/ProductDisplay.asp?ProductID=148

There are a number of environmental control units (ECUs) that will control a television (as well as hospital beds, drapes, radios, fans, etc.) with either simple switches or voice control, but of course these systems are fairly expensive.

That Sammons link did not work for me. This is the one I use:
    http://www.sammonspreston.com/

Thanks Ladies for your kind words . if my grin was any bigger my face would split in two ! now if i could just find a SINGLE , eager , attractive , atheletic , well heeled , nymphomaniac lady who felt the same way about me ?
    when i am having a bad day i let the frustrations build up for a while , then loudly and in no uncertain terms i voice my feelings on the world generally and any person [ normally unjustifiably ] who i think could have remotely caused me to be experiencing the current problems ! after i settle down from this tirade i feel much better . i live by myself and my nearest neighbours are 10 miles away so there is not much risk of upsetting anyone else . i don't think this method would go over very well in suburbia . in the event of this not working i have the option of resorting to plan B , consume the contents of the beer fridge .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

[This message was edited by dogger on 03-02-03 at 23:22.]

Ok, dogger has a fan club! Good, where do we send the love cards and little stuffed animals? Anybody has an address?

I have calmed down after reading the forums for past hour. I think there must be something in the air, Stacey. Bob has been getting in one of his moods since Friday night off and on. We ended up watching separate TVs on Friday, I did some shopping on Saturday and then I got saved by his mom and stepdad who came to visit... Thanks for in-laws!!! (and I mean it!!!) This morning everything topped the glass off and I didn't hold it back anymore and just spilled everything out. At last he apologized and admitted how mean he had been. I don't blow up very often, but when I do, I catch up on those times when I don't. But we talk it thru and over, and at the end we end up hugging and kissing - apologizing to each other. So that's our "spout off".
    Many times I just fix him everything he might need at night and leave him downstairs and I take up the upstairs and just watch TV or read. Close the door, turn the volume up and relax.

Hey, just hang in there... and come here and vent out!!! Or just send a fan mail to dogger, boost his ego up !

Stacey , i was reading through this thread [ giving my ego bit of a boost from the kind comments from the ladies who have posted] and thought i would follow up Betheny's comments on recovery by relating my experience . i am 12 years post next month .the accepted view at the time of my injury in terms of recovery beyond what was considered the norm for the level of lesion was that at some time return of function will plateau and that will be end of story . as you would be aware , nowadays with locomotor training , 4-AP and other therapies [ all admittedly in their infancy ] this has proved to be wrong .
    the first lower body movement i had was movement of a big toe about 4 weeks post . with PT this allowed me to begin walking about 3 months post . at this stage i had only tendonisis grip in my hands . around 4 months i started to get some ab muscle function which eventually got good enough for me to do sit ups . around 6 months some finger movement until i could grip and move fingers independantly [ still well short of normal , but very useful ] . i left rehab about 8 months post with the above function but not very much more sensory than any other C5/6 . 11-12 months i regained some bowel function , enough to be able to not have to do a B.P. anymore . it is still not normal , accidents still occur [ had one last night while i was out ] but these are mainly due to the fact that i walk so slowly that if i am not close to a toilet the time factor beats me . since then i have recovered sensory [ not good on sharps/blunts or hot/cold ] over all but a couple of small areas of my body . last year i recovered enough hot/cold to feel air temperature changes . so small improvements can continue for a long time . the worst that can happen by doing PT etc is that the body will be fit and ready for new therapies as they eventuate . there is also the feeling that a cure is achieveable in the near future . 1991 the thinking was ''maybe in the next 100 years '' . i hope this helps .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

I love what you said marmalady - (I too wake up some mornings with that familiar feeling that yall have described)- I try to focus on all the great things we share - I cannot imagine my life without my husband - When I think back I realize how lucky I am for him to be here. With this in mind my mood usually shifts a little .. however often I remain fragile on such a day and any little glitch can easily cause cloudy vision & teary eyes. I like to talk with my hubby when I am in such a mood, he has such a way of calming me. He has those days too and when he does I try to support him - he is more of the silent type and it kills me not knowing whats going on in his head !!! I want to know .. on his "bad" days I usually try to do something special that I know he appreciates , either a favorite meal, picking him up a video game (which seems to be his escape), or some other little attention. Soon Stacey those days become not as frequent hopefully for you and your husband.

To Olossgirl -

Your quote - "often I remain fragile on such a day and any little glitch can easily cause cloudy vision & teary eyes."

Darlin', my son is over 4 years post, and believe me, there are still times when I get teary eyed. Sometimes just the sight of him spending a half hour to put a T-shirt on will do it; or looking at the pics on his wall with his friends; I think I'll just stop here!

We all have those feelings; I hope they never go away. They ground me, somehow, and make me more determined to work as hard as I can to find a cure for this damnable condition.