Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Stand Glider

Easy Stand Glider

I have had Multiple Sclerosis for 27 years, an I have been in a wheelchair for about 7 years now. I was thinking about trying out an Easy Stand Glider.
    I can stand for about 4-5 minutes while holding on to something. Is this something that would help me in moving my legs and lower body?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by wheels4one
    I have had Multiple Sclerosis for 27 years, an I have been in a wheelchair for about 7 years now. I was thinking about trying out an Easy Stand Glider.
    I can stand for about 4-5 minutes while holding on to something. Is this something that would help me in moving my legs and lower body?

Bob
    Bob,

Many people here have used the glider and perhaps some can comment. I know quadriplegics who have used the glider. So, I think that you should be able to get on it, stand, and move your legs. The extent to which this would help restore function is not clear.

I have long felt that it is better for people with paralysis to stand for at least an hour a day. Unfortunately, the beneficial effects of standing has not been clearly measured in muscle or bone. However, these studies have uniformly studied an hour or less a day of standing, and for relatively short periods.

Wise.

Standing is good for your bowels, to control spasticity, and help prevent contractures, and of course it is psychologically beneficial. If your goal is to do some cardiovascular exercise and movement you might also want to look at one of these (we use these a lot where I work):

http://www.motomed.de/medizin_01_gb/..._start_01.html

http://www.easypivot.com/saratoga/models/default.asp

(KLD)

The dealers will bring one to your home to try our if needed. I gave it a try but without two full triceps it didn't work for me. If you can use the arms, and they'll steady you, it works the waist, obliques and hip/butt muscles.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks everyone for the information.
    Like I said I can still stand for a brief time holding on to something and I try to do that as much as I can.

I still have good upper body strength in both arms. I'm going to check with my doctors about a script and see if my Insurance will cover one.

glider

I think it would be great. I tried to get it, but insurance would not approve "glider" option. Would only pay for the standard standing frame, they didn't think it was necessary. Enough info and facts may be sufficient for insurance to cover "standing" but not for the glider option as it would have to be addressed as the medical necessity for "cardiovascular exercise" to included as well.
    Good luck, I really wish we could have it. They say you can buy the glider version, they call option, which is an additional $4,000 to stander.
    missrhonda

Quote Originally Posted by wheels4one
    Thanks everyone for the information.
    Like I said I can still stand for a brief time holding on to something and I try to do that as much as I can.

I still have good upper body strength in both arms. I'm going to check with my doctors about a script and see if my Insurance will cover one.
    Wheels, like with the basic stander your knees are braced as is your abdoman in front. So you're be able to use your energy on getting the cardio and bone work out without exhausting your major leg muscles. Legs go forward and back like cross country skiing but your knees don't bend.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I've seen a person using one TV and liked how it operated. I want one and my Insurance should cover it or most of the cost if I can get a script for it. If not I'll try to find some way to purchase one, I have a walker but my legs just want hold me up long enough to use it, I'm afraid that I will fall and break something.
    I'll have to wait till after the first of the year because I am in my out of pocket stage for this year with my Insurance.

I made a typo, I have had MS for 28 years and I have used a wheelchair for 12 years 7 years full time.

My husband had his first MS attack which left him completely dependent on a wheelchair in October 2005. He lost the use of everything basically. I got the glider for him around October 2007 after insurance denied us 3 times. They wouldn't even pay for a standard stander. Anyway, we use it about 2-3 times a week for about an hour at a time. I have to use a hoyer lift to put him in it, secure him and then I "jack him up" and he his able to stand there. He doesn't have any use of his left arm but he does his right so he tries to do the glider motion but I have to help. It's a good workout for him and me. The right arm is really the only thing he has workng for him. This has really helped him with his attitude, bowels, bladder, circulation, spactisity, etc. I strongly recommend it. Even if you become to the point that you can't do it on you own, take it from our experience if you have someone there to help you, it's still a good workout. Lisa