Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome Browser

Google Chrome Browser

I downloaded and installed the beta version of google's Chrome browser. Kind of an usual interface. The tabs are above the address which I found took some getting used to. And some video from different sites doesn't seem to work very well. Hopefully that will get fixed because I would use this over IE and Mozilla I think. You can add application shortcuts to it, something I find very useful. It imported my bookmarks and browser setting just fine. And it seems to run faster than Mozilla. The interface is clean and streamlined but still allows me to do what I need. I tend to have way too many tabs open at once. Chrome cuts down on that by allowing multiple sites (as well as your most visited or recent visited sites) to be kept track of on a single tab from which you can access them without having a whole string of tabs open at once (I didn't explain that well but the picture below shows what I mean). This is my favorite feature so far but I haven't yet managed to explore everything.

Anyway I am still playing with it. But so far I like it.

the beta download is here
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-02-2008 at 07:32 PM.

I've downloaded it too the only problem is it doesn't seem to work well for the Dragon naturally speaking commands for example back, forward, etc. otherwise it looks pretty interesting!

No version for Linux or Mac yet, I'll have to wait. By the way, their User Agreement is pretty nasty, it basically says Google has the right to use anything you post to the Internet with it in any way they see fit. No idea where Google is going with that [probably they don't even know] but it doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by tekniko
    I've downloaded it too the only problem is it doesn't seem to work well for the Dragon naturally speaking commands for example back, forward, etc. otherwise it looks pretty interesting!
    I have been using it with DNS 9 Pro and its been fine for me after some minor hiccups getting going.
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-02-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    By the way, their User Agreement is pretty nasty, it basically says Google has the right to use anything you post to the Internet with it in any way they see fit. No idea where Google is going with that [probably they don't even know] but it doesn't sit well with me.
    I read it. I'm not really worried about it. Not all that different from ISPs releasing IP and contact information to third parties, really. I don't think anybody should post to the internet with an expectation that what they write can't ever be tracked back to them (and used against them if the case may be). To many people have a false sense of security when it comes to posting on the internet.
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-02-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Actually it's more than a privacy issue. For example, if you used the Chrome browser to post a short story to your own web journal, Google would have the right to copy, modify, or reproduce it in any way they saw fit to promote their own products and services. Why would they do such a thing? I have no idea, but then why include that in their EULA?

There's discussion of it on Slashdot this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Actually it's more than a privacy issue. For example, if you used the Chrome browser to post a short story to your own web journal, Google would have the right to copy, modify, or reproduce it in any way they saw fit to promote their own products and services. Why would they do such a thing? I have no idea, but then why include that in their EULA?

There's discussion of it on Slashdot this morning.
    I guess I just see it differently that you do. I agree its not something I particularly like. But I would rather that google was up front about it in the first place, than to find out later my information or things I posted were accessed and used or altered without my permission. So for me it just means being more careful what I do when I am using the browser. That's not necesarily a bad thing. People should be thinking twice anyways about anything they post. And they should read the user agreement before hitting "I agree" for any software, although I admit to being slack about this myself sometimes. If the agreement is not something one wants to abide by, a person has a choice not to install and use the software. It's not a big deal.

I posted the link because the browser incorporates several features that I think are very handy for those like myself who don't have hand or arm use and must use other means to use their computers, or those who have limited hand function. My initial post did say it was just the beta version. They often have different user agreements than the finished product. Who knows where google is going with this? Maybe they do have a reason for including that caveat in the beta agreement. But if they do, they are not telling it looks like.

Oh well. I like it. And plan to keep using it.
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-03-2008 at 02:14 PM.

If it supported FF-like extensions, I would like it.

I tried it yesterday and it's not developed enough yet for me to switch over from Firefox. I do see how the default "New Tab" page would be useful for DNS users, though.

If it works for you, great.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    If it supported FF-like extensions, I would like it.
    I am guessing that will be coming, or something similar, in the future.

I tried it yesterday and it's not developed enough yet for me to switch over from Firefox.
    I agree and I haven't fully abandoned fire fox yet. But I am having fun playing with Chrome and like what they do have so far, as little as it might be.

If it works for you, great.
    I guess

Semi regret that I bothered posting about it now though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    I am guessing that will be coming, or something similar, in the future.
    I hope so. I would love to use it as a site-specific browser for GMail and Google Reader.

Semi regret that I bothered posting about it now though lol.

Don't regret it.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.