Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Republican Party Platform Change: They now officially oppose hESC research

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42
    ignorant Assholes. And to think, I am a republican
    Just have to make sure that the republicans do NOT win.
    every time you fall,
    stand up tall....
    come back for more

Therein lies the the fundamental difference between the Democratic and the Rethuglican parties:

the Rethuglies think actually helping people is a BAD thing...

their actions speak louder than words...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1
    Check yourselves, Chicken Little's...
    Party platforms are not binding - And they are certainly not law.
    No kidding people. Quit being such pussies! Stand up (yes the pun is intended) and fight these ignorant F's. These are just delegates at a convention they really hold no sway with actual law or current policy. You are acting like it's a fait accompli! QUIT believing and repeating the hype.

BTW Geron is not going anywhere. I speak with my dollars as I own a very small part of the company. I urge you all to do the same. SUPPORT regenerative research!

Can't wait.... must take action now

I stopped by the New SCI forum tonight and it just broke my heart. Let's see, a grandmother who is posting because her 4 year old grand daughter has a SCI and then read the post of a Dad of a son who dove into a lake and may be vent dependent, and then a 19 yo c5 and the heartbreak goes on and on. And, sadly most of these families have or are being jerked around by their insurance companies when it comes to getting adequate care, rehab or home modifications.

I realize that several things need to happen -- prompt treatment upon injury (including the icing/lowing body temp treatment with steroids) to reduce injury, a treatment that restores neuron functions and reduces scarring after injury, and proper rehab and treatment post injury to restore function.

We cannot elect another 4 years of SCI UNFRIENDLY leadership. If this issue is your passion (and it's mine) then do what I will do, and lobby, fund and promote the candidates whose agenda's align with SCI research, recovery and rehab.

?

How is it that ANYONE in a wheelchair, with a disability, or knowing someone with a disability can possibly identify with the Republican party?

Do remember...even if George Bush Senior signed ADA into law, Republicans in Congress threatened to fillibuster it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42
    ignorant Assholes. And to think, I am a republican

How is it that ANYONE in a wheelchair, with a disability, or knowing someone with a disability can possibly identify with the Republican party?
    I think they pray ... really, really hard ...

Earlier today, I issued an executive order to strengthen our nation's commitment to research on pluripotent stem cells. This order takes a number of important steps. The order directs the Department of Health and Human Services and the NIH to ensure that any human pluripotent stem cell lines produced in ways that do not create, destroy, or harm human embryos will be eligible for federal funding.

The order expands the NIH Embryonic Stem Cell registry to include all types of ethically produced human pluripotent stem cells. The order renames the registry -- calls it this, the Pluripotent Stem Cell Registry -- so it reflects what stem cells can do, instead of where they come from. The order invites scientists to work with the NIH, so we can add new ethically derived stem cell lines to the list of those eligible for federal funding. I direct Secretary Leavitt to conduct an assessment of what resources will be necessary to support this important new research.

President George Bush June 20, 2007
    The president of the United States has the Executive Order power to fund project under federal jurisdictions and make the eligibility criteria for the funding. White house press release
    T6 complete

Doesn't matter.

California passed Prop 71 in 2004. It allocates $10 billion dollars over 10 years specifically to be spent on human embryonic stem cell research.

The citizens of California made of themselves a West Coast NIH and backed it up with their own money. The funding was held up for a year and a half while the right-wing "Christians" challenged the law in court, but they failed as of May 2007, when the CA supreme court found the law to be constitutional.

CA has written into its state constitution that hESCR is legal.

In the last year, the governing body that regulates that $10 billion dollars has been busy handing it out by the millions to worthy applicants, and many of them reside at the Reeve-Irvine Research Center. RIRC is not looking for cures for cancer, guys. They're looking for cures for paralysis.

They have infrastructure. They have hired a lot of talent. They've recently hired a para MD to liason between their center and the hospital -- why?

Because they intend to be working with sci patients, and they want all their ducks in a row.

Waiting for the feds to decide sci is worthy of their ever-so-hard-to-get attention, or waiting for them to trickle some dough towards induced pluripotent cells is not even necessary, imo. The study that Dr. Davies did was funded through the NIH, yes? He got $500,000. Think about that.

CA is spending $300 Million dollars every year for the next 10 years to figure out how to use hESC's to help injured and sick people.

That's 600 grants the size of Dr. Davies', every year from now until the 10 years is up.

I really don't give 2 cents what the Republicans put into their presidential platform.

Quote Originally Posted by kate
    California passed Prop 71 in 2004. It allocates $10 billion dollars over 10 years specifically to be spent on human embryonic stem cell research.

The citizens of California made of themselves a West Coast NIH and backed it up with their own money. The funding was held up for a year and a half while the right-wing "Christians" challenged the law in court, but they failed as of May 2007, when the CA supreme court found the law to be constitutional.

CA has written into its state constitution that hESCR is legal.

In the last year, the governing body that regulates that $10 billion dollars has been busy handing it out by the millions to worthy applicants, and many of them reside at the Reeve-Irvine Research Center. RIRC is not looking for cures for cancer, guys. They're looking for cures for paralysis.

They have infrastructure. They have hired a lot of talent. They've recently hired a para MD to liason between their center and the hospital -- why?

Because they intend to be working with sci patients, and they want all their ducks in a row.

Waiting for the feds to decide sci is worthy of their ever-so-hard-to-get attention, or waiting for them to trickle some dough towards induced pluripotent cells is not even necessary, imo. The study that Dr. Davies did was funded through the NIH, yes? He got $500,000. Think about that.

CA is spending $300 Million dollars every year for the next 10 years to figure out how to use hESC's to help injured and sick people.

That's 600 grants the size of Dr. Davies', every year from now until the 10 years is up.

I really don't give 2 cents what the Republicans put into their presidential platform.
    Kate - agree that the platform doesn't necessarily represent the party or McCain but don't you think we have a better chance for NATIONAL funding with a democrat in the White House?

I live in CA and worked to see our legislation pass and stand up to those who opposed it. And, it is really great to read about the money flowing in to labs in our state.

But, I can't help but wonder what could be if the federal government matched or exceeded the CA funding? Would we be closer to restorative therapies for chronics sooner? Would we be able to minimize the damage in acutes? Could we find cure/treatments for other diseases (ALS is close to my heart) with federal support of hESCR studies?

I'm trying not to turn this into a debate because you are much closer to the reality of SCI and you have worked countless hours to support SCI friendly causes. I just wonder why you don't give .2??

Quote Originally Posted by beachlover
    Kate - agree that the platform doesn't necessarily represent the party or McCain but don't you think we have a better chance for NATIONAL funding with a democrat in the White House?

I live in CA and worked to see our legislation pass and stand up to those who opposed it. And, it is really great to read about the money flowing in to labs in our state.

But, I can't help but wonder what could be if the federal government matched or exceeded the CA funding? Would we be closer to restorative therapies for chronics sooner? Would we be able to minimize the damage in acutes? Could we find cure/treatments for other diseases (ALS is close to my heart) with federal support of hESCR studies?

I'm trying not to turn this into a debate because you are much closer to the reality of SCI and you have worked countless hours to support SCI friendly causes. I just wonder why you don't give .2??
    It is $3 billion over 10 years. Proposition 71 was passed in 2004 but the money was not released until Fall 2007. So, the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine is playing catchup with the spending.

The main problem with Proposition 71 is that California is not and should not be the only place that stem cell research should be carried out. Research money begats more research money and therefore I fully expect the funds to make California the most active biomedical research place in the world, certainly in stem cells but in many other areas as well. With already a dominant biotech industry, California will easily supercede all countries in the world in the area of stem cell research.

Obama should make this country much more stem cell friendly, compared to Bush or McCain. The GOP platform which seeks to maintain the restriction of embryonic stem cell research not only to federal funding but calls for the criminalizaton of such research even by private companies, foundations, and states. With Palin saying that she believes that intelligent design should be taught in high school science classes, I am afraid that the election of McCain/Palin will set the stage for the most science-regressive administration in the history of the United States.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.