Thread: handling household finances

handling household finances

How do C-5s and above handle household finances (incoming and bills?) I've always been told by social workers to stay away from money, as I would lose Medicaid if I have too much (which is very little.) My mother always handled it, but she can't do it without help now. I'm not good with computers (I know a little about IBM's OS/2, which I use, but not enough to do much), and I don't know Windows. Typing is a problem due to back and shoulder problems, and voice navigation didn't work out (tried in OS/2) due to abdominal pain and its effect on breathing and talking. Concntration and memory problems worry me, too, if I deal with this.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Last edited by orangejello; 09-01-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Most people I know do a combination of on-line banking and help from family, but you can also arrange for a bookkeeper to help you out. Be sure to get one who is bonded if you go this route. Many of our clients also use theirs to take care of their PCAs payroll.

Personally I bank on-line with Bank of America and love it because not only can I issue a check to anyone, but I can get electronic bills from most of my regulars (phone, internet/cable, gas & electric, etc. etc.) but I can also cut a check to any individual or company I want, even if not on their regular list, and they mail the check for free (no postage costs).

(KLD)

Alan, you can do so much online. I pay most of my bills online through my banks website. It is secure and very easy to set up. No signing required, and the balances are instantly available.

You can learn how to do this. You might have to sign something at the bank to allow you to use the online banking services, but it doesnt take but a minute. If you can type enough to ask questions on care cure you have enough to take care of your finances online since it is much easier than this is..

Also Bank of america
    Last edited by skippy13; 09-01-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Most people I know do a combination of on-line banking and help from family, but you can also arrange for a bookkeeper to help you out. Be sure to get one who is bonded if you go this route. Many of our clients also use theirs to take care of their PCAs payroll.

Personally I bank on-line with Bank of America and love it because not only can I issue a check to anyone, but I can get electronic bills from most of my regulars (phone, internet/cable, gas & electric, etc. etc.) but I can also cut a check to any individual or company I want, even if not on their regular list, and they mail the check for free (no postage costs).

(KLD)
    Alan, I second SCI Nurse. Bank of America's online web presence is great. They make it so easy any high quad can do it.

I pay bills online too. With Medicaid you can't have over $2,000 in your bank account.

We have K-Bank. How are they online? I'm still worried about handling things, with all the problems. And I do need help learning XP - I have an XP partition, but can't even figure out why FF3 (replacing FF2) and Seamonkey 1.1.11 won't allow me to install or update add-ons.

Mona, how do you stay under $2,000 when I get SSDI every month
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Well because I don't get much money.
    Less than 2,000. I pay all my bills 1st which doesn't leave much.
    From the balance left I have to stretch it to make it last till the check next month.
    Y'all own the house. So no rent.
    Alan you might not have to stay under 2,000.
    Are you on Medicaid? Medicare?
    I can't remember if SSDI is Medicaid?
    I'm on both. They pay all my dr's, medicine, supplies, everything.
    So therefore they don't want me to have any money.
    That's easy to oblige them too. Since I don't get much.
    Women need to keep working and not depend on the husband's money each month.
    1st find out if you have to keep it below $2,000.
    I know this for sure, if you go in the Nursing Home Medicare will use all the money above $2,000 you have in the bank 1st before they'll help out.
    Well in Texas they will.

no offense but as much as u post here i see no reason u cant do online banking. its not rocket science
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer