Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: colours portable hand controls (pics) -- updated w/ photo of MPDs installed

I use portables almost everyday in my car, and used them everyday in my truck until I got permanent controls. They do work great. I don't want to get permanent controls in my car, just because the time I do, the damn car will take a shit, and it'll be junk, and I just spent $800 getting permanent controls installed.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

I used a set just like these in my CRV until I got my van. I used a velcro strap to provide some stability--keep me from dropping them in the floor. I used them mostly for very short trips until I got something better.

Once after taking them off to let someone else drive my vehicle, I had a friend re-install them. They were not put back on correctly and I nearly wreaked due to having the gas and brake depressed at the same time. Also, my driving instructor looked at them and about had a cow...didn't think they were safe.

Soooooooo, my point is that I found them to work well when installed correctly and when used with a velcro strap to ensure that they did not end up in the floor by accident. They are OK for temporary use, but can't compare to a permanent set up.

Quote Originally Posted by klamham
    The controls look good enough for short term. But I have a concern in putting them in a rental car. I would imagine if something happened there would be a liability issue since you put them in, not the company. That is why the bigger companies have cars with them already installed. just my 2 cents.
    Around here I couldn't get a rental car with hand controls unless I waited 3 days for one to come from a real city. The goofy guy who rented the car to me helped me put them on so we'll hold him liable.

Do I need to break out the photo's of my sticks again?

I've been driving my car for several years now without an issue. Perhaps it's me, maybe not. It's more of a matter of knowing the tool your using.

Looks nice! I like how they attatch so easily.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    Do I need to break out the photo's of my sticks again?

I've been driving my car for several years now without an issue. Perhaps it's me, maybe not. It's more of a matter of knowing the tool your using.

Looks nice! I like how they attatch so easily.
    Exactly! Maybe I'm one of a kind, but driving with levers is easy. Especially when you were used to running heavy equipment with nothing but levers. Like our combine and tractors...
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock
    I have a 6 mile offroad race track on my property that we do a rally school, rally and offroad races, car testing, etc. My "shop" car is a 1996 Crown Vic, 505 Big Block and I've used this car on the track, at high speed, drifting in rough uneven terrain and haven't had any issues.
    Skippy for you. I assume you have a point behind relating this bit of ancecdotal evidence.

Is there a possibility to have problems? Hell yeah!
    I'm glad you don't deny that. So, there being absolutely no reason why I cannot put permanent hand controls in all of my vehicles, I see no reason to incur the risk of the potential problems I see with the portable controls. And that would be my only point here. Oh, the horror!

I have 3 able bodied friends who have driven the car without hand controls that have had off track experiences. So,..maybe you and your husband with all your experience should just not drive a car if you have that many issues with safety, because you can't ever guarantee 100% safety all of the time in any driving situation.
    Why do you have to be a dick about things? And I say that with full knowledge that my current post is quite bitchy, but frankly, I'm just sick of this shit. Scott wasn't a dick. He didn't think he agreed with my first post, but he responded in a civil way and even asked for further information. I think it's called having an open mind and being interested in actually having a conversation. Based on your snarky response, neither could be said about you.

Here's the thing though, regardless of your ridiculous comments, you know damn good and well that I have never said anything to prompt them. Being concerned with safety doesn't mean that one is looking for 100% guarantees or wants everyone to live in bubbles. And to support that assertion (not prove it, as any educated person knows that anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything), I would refer everyone to the video that you originally posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srvBq4J-ROM

I see that all the drivers are wearing helmets and Nomex in that video. Are they all big wussies or something? Oh, and all that safety equipment must have distracted me, 'cause I didn't notice any hand controls in the video. Were there any?

C.

I fully support safe driving both on and off the track. My point by providing anecdotal evidence is that the controls work fine in road and offroad conditions, and the controls are owned and used by many of the people on these boards. My response was to your comparing using a set of temporary handcontrols to getting into a racecar without nomex. I guess I was just tired of hearing you spout your anecdotal evidence to the contrary. You're constantly touting your experience with your "my husband and I race cars so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to car safety." Big difference in comparison especially when it was in relation to "daily driving." You don't have a monopoly on safe driving. You haven't even tried the temp. controls at issue but still feel compelled to voice your opposition to their use because of your "feelings" on how they may or may not work. But you do it in a condecending way by saying, "People will say they've done something for years before something happens.." like we're all idiots for using them and too stupid to realize they're dangerous, but for your warning to us against using them. And then you respond like you're being attacked?
    Last edited by gpbullock; 09-02-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Scott, give us an update on how they're working for YOU and YOUR situation after YOU have used them for a bit. I've been curious how well they do work in the everyday world for us in the SCI family. Thanks.
    Every day deserves a little time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Scott, give us an update on how they're working for YOU and YOUR situation after YOU have used them for a bit. I've been curious how well they do work in the everyday world for us in the SCI family. Thanks.
    they work fine. they're not as responsive for me b/c i have to move my hand from the gas to the brake as separate controls (which is how AB folks operate pedals anyway), vs. one lever for both. the position of operating them from my lap isn't ideal. they have to be moved aside during transfers.

a buddy and i installed my old MPDs friday night. much better (and way more legroom). i still need to finish trimming the dash though. leave it to BMW to cover plastic w/ leather.

but like i said, the portable ones work fine for the short term.
    Last edited by -scott-; 09-08-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Hey, YOU

You still driving that truck?

Good info and description Scott.