Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: colours portable hand controls (pics) -- updated w/ photo of MPDs installed

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    This type of control strikes me as unsafe even for the "short term". How far or how long does one have to drive before one should worry about having an accident? Is it OK to not wear a seatbelt or a helmet if one is just running to the grocery store? I don't think so. I certainly wouldn't think it was safe if one were taking a 100+ mile trip. Please be careful out there.

C.
    I wouldn't compare this to not wearing a seatbelt or helmet. I don't advocate using these as an everyday set, but they're not hazardous to use. They do require a little extra attention, but that's all, IMO.

They're more annoying than unsafe, as they have to be moved aside for transferring. Additionally, getting my legs positioned around them take a little extra effort.

I appreciate your concern for safety though. I lost a friend to an OHV accident that could've been prevented. To further the discussion, what about these appears unsafe to you?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    If you don't mind me asking, how much are these? We're thinking about a second vehicle here, and I would like a small SUV like a Ford Escape, Saturn Vue or Honda CRV .. a second set of hand controls would be perfect for an occassional driver like me (leaning towards the Vue).
    I don't recall what I paid... think it was just under $300. Too much, whatever it was. At least they're well-constructed.

Sportaid has them for $310: http://www.sportaid.com/product.php?...sa&prdID=45556

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    To further the discussion, what about these appears unsafe to you?
    In case of an emergency, these controls don't look as secure and steady to use as permanent hand controls. We already suffer in the upper body stability department. During evasive maneuvers, these controls would flop around. That worries me.

Whenever safety concerns are raised people tend to talk about how many years they've been doing something with "no problems". Usually that time was incident free. That doesn't then prove that the safety concerns are irrelevant. For instance, my husband has been racing cars for well over 20 yrs. During that time, he has never had a fire. Does that mean that he would consider climbing into the cockpit without his firesuit? Hel, no.

Some things we do in order to help avoid a problem. Some things we do in case there happens to be one and some things we should NOT do in case there happens to be a problem. I would not use these controls in case there happened to be a problem.

C.

?

In case of an emergency, these controls don't look as secure and steady to use as permanent hand controls. We already suffer in the upper body stability department. During evasive maneuvers, these controls would flop around. That worries me.

Whenever safety concerns are raised people tend to talk about how many years they've been doing something with "no problems". Usually that time was incident free. That doesn't then prove that the safety concerns are irrelevant. For instance, my husband has been racing cars for well over 20 yrs. During that time, he has never had a fire. Does that mean that he would consider climbing into the cockpit without his firesuit? Hel, no.

Some things we do in order to help avoid a problem. Some things we do in case there happens to be one and some things we should NOT do in case there happens to be a problem. I would not use these controls in case there happened to be a problem.

C.
    T,
    I have a 6 mile offroad race track on my property that we do a rally school, rally and offroad races, car testing, etc. My "shop" car is a 1996 Crown Vic, 505 Big Block and I've used this car on the track, at high speed, drifting in rough uneven terrain and haven't had any issues. Is there a possibility to have problems? Hell yeah! But I have 3 able bodied friends who have driven the car without hand controls that have had off track experiences. So,..maybe you and your husband with all your experience should just not drive a car if you have that many issues with safety, because you can't ever guarantee 100% safety all of the time in any driving situation.

Video of the course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srvBq4J-ROM
    Last edited by gpbullock; 09-01-2008 at 10:57 PM.

I used something like that for over a year on the first car I had out of the hospital. Mine had a velcro strap that kept them up by the steering wheel so I ddin't have to always move them when transfering. Kept them at the right length for driving or getting in and out. I never had any problems or accidents with them.

I used them not long ago on a rental and tore them apart the other day to put on a lawn mower brake.

Smile

The controls look good enough for short term. But I have a concern in putting them in a rental car. I would imagine if something happened there would be a liability issue since you put them in, not the company. That is why the bigger companies have cars with them already installed. just my 2 cents.

Thanks Scott - good to know! Must take quite a bit of getting used to in driving. Would love to have a pair around. Was that a BMW I saw them in - what year?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Valid point. However, they do stay put between my legs. Sure, they have some play in them, but not enough to flop around. There's a reason that these are called "portable" hand controls. Again, I wouldn't suggest using them in lieu of a permanent set, but they work well for rental cars, friends' cars, or in my case, until I can get this car to someone I trust to install the MPDs correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Thanks Scott - good to know! Must take quite a bit of getting used to in driving. Would love to have a pair around. Was that a BMW I saw them in - what year?
    They don't take long to get used to, although my instinct is to reach to the left of the wheel. You learn really quickly what makes the car stop & go.

The car is a '96 BMW 318ti. It gets 3-4x the fuel economy of my Jeep, plus it's a hatchback, making loading the chair extremely easy when w/ someone else (no breakdown, just fold the back & toss it in).

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I used something like that for over a year on the first car I had out of the hospital. Mine had a velcro strap that kept them up by the steering wheel so I ddin't have to always move them when transfering. Kept them at the right length for driving or getting in and out. I never had any problems or accidents with them.
    yeah, I thought about a strap, but I haven't found a need for it yet in this car (I have some nylon webbing in the car if need be). I have to swing these out of the way to get my legs positioned correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by klamham
    I have a concern in putting them in a rental car. I would imagine if something happened there would be a liability issue since you put them in, not the company.
    obviously... but you'd have to be clueless to not figure out how to install these securely. If you don't know your equipment, better not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock
    I have a 6 mile offroad race track on my property that we do a rally school, rally and offroad races, car testing, etc.

Video of the course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srvBq4J-ROM
    sweet.

Whenever safety concerns are raised people tend to talk about how many years they've been doing something with "no problems". Usually that time was incident free. That doesn't then prove that the safety concerns are irrelevant. For instance, my husband has been racing cars for well over 20 yrs. During that time, he has never had a fire. Does that mean that he would consider climbing into the cockpit without his firesuit? Hel, no. C.
    Do you happen to knit with gloves on ??