Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shox fall off???

Shox fall off???

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I purchased a set of 25" (559) Shox tires (in red) from Sportaid for my 25" Spinergy WIRE wheels, and had my local bike shop put them on for me. The installation went smoothly, and besides being a little difficult to put on (which I've read is normal) it was uneventful.

Recently at physical therapy my therapists have been teaching me how to go up/down curbs and stairs and one day while working on going down stairs one of my Shox tires popped off the rim. There was only one section that popped off, so I transferred out of my chair and onto the stairs and was able to pop it back on myself (with minimal effort). I transferred back into my chair and went back up the ramp to the top of the stairs to practice going down again. Again, the same tire popped off the rim so I transferred back out of my chair, onto the stairs and popped the tire back on. We decided at this point that it would be best to stop doing stairs for the day. After I left therapy I ran home, picked up a pair of regular pneumatic tires and tubes and went back to the bike shop to have the Shox removed and the pneumatics installed.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. Also, is there a way to avoid this problem if I decide to go back to solid tires in the future? I really liked the solid tires because I hate inflating the pneumatic tires all the time. Is it possible that I just had a bad tire that allowed it to be a little lax on the rim? It was only the tire on the right side of my chair that popped off. Should I try and contact Sportaid to see if they can process a replacement as a defective pair or do you think it has been too long? I only had the tires on my chair for a couple months max.

I am really bummed that I had this problem with my Shox tires as I have read many rave reviews here on CC. I hope (for everyones sake) that this is an isolated incident and that not many other people encounter this.

Please let me know if you have ever had problems with your Shox popping off the rim and what you were able to do to solve the problem.

TIA,
    Mandy

P.S. Sorry this post was so long.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

wow, we always have to cut them off the rim, maybe bad batch. contact spartech , i believe thats who makes them.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Sometimes that has happened to me when they were new...but not often. The bead was not in the rim all the way. Once I got it in the rim all of the way, that stopped. Try and take a rubber mallet and pound around on the tire. That is what I have done and then it did not do tha again.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

The Shox that came on my new ZRa haven't come off, but they are what I would call loose. I can push them side to side in the rim. My old Kik's were tight as a drum on the rim.

Being loose, they also make all kinds of scrunchy noise when I'm rolling, can't sneak up on anybody. Not impressed.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

actually mcduff, the shoxs i have on my wijits are also starting to make thats squelching noise. i will have a closer look to see if theyre loose, as i really dont want them to come off like mandys! i have a set of schwalbe marathon plus on my spinergy lxs, and have never had any problems, puncture or otherwise... the only reason i went for shox on the wijits was that i wanted red!

mandy, i think there is some difference in the bead size for narrow rims like spinergies. call spartech and ask - i have a vague idea there was some deal where they needed to make a slightly different tire specifically for spinergy to prevent 'roll-off'. or that may have been some other manufacturer entirely. sorry.

Gee, I got a set of 25" SHOX tires on my 25" Spinergy LX wheels and they are on there tighter than a bull's ass during fly season. They don't wiggle, squeak, mark up the floor or anything. You may have received a defective tire. SHOX do come in 3 different "feels" or PSI ratings; plush, standard and firm. Maybe you got the softer "plush" tire and it is too pliable. By all means contact Sportaid or Spartech and get them both replaced. No way they should come off like that. I like mine.

Thanks everyone. I called Sportaid today and they are going to send out a replacement tire for the one that seems to be defective. Since it was only happening on one wheel they figure it might have been a defect. If I end up putting the Shox back on for whatever reason I will have to go through a trial period to make sure I have the right tire on, since right now they are both sitting in a bag next to each other and I don't know which one was the culprit.
    I will call spartech tomorrow to make sure that it is ok to put the good tire back on my wheels and not have it roll off as well (or be loosened to the point where it doesn't hold).
    Thanks for all the replies. I was bummed to have to take the Shox off, but could not continue to get out of my chair to re-seat the tire every time it popped off. I (and all of us) need something reliable for when I am in my chair. I don't want to worry about my tire coming off when I have no back-ups with me. With pneumatics, at least you can carry a spare, but you can't do that with Shox.
    Anyways, rant over. Thanks again for all the replies.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Someone at the W/C shop I got my shox from said that they are supposed to go on a certain way, and if you have them on backwards, they tend to fall off. But I don't know how much truth is in that.

i got the shox for my chair that are equivilent to 110 psi. they are awesome. have had them on for bout a year now and still going strong. im prob going to take them off and reverse them soo to start wearing them on the other side. soooooooooooooo much better than the 110 psi air up tires. im soo happy to have mine. plus i love the black look....
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03