Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It's uplifting!

Quote Originally Posted by Daleb
    perhaps a forum dedicated to this type of thing, e.g. "Vendors"

i think it could help all of us, being exposed to legit 'advertising' related to SCI, much like the OP.

there isn't a place on the web yet for this...much like the Cure and Care forums give us access to studies and results that some clinicians aren't yet well briefed on, a Vendor forum could potentially bring us timely, germaine info on useful products and services!

cheers,
    dale
    Dale, I have been thinking of what we can do to implement your suggestion. It will take a lot of discussion. In a precursor site (Cando.com), we were actually sponsored by an e-commerce company that used the site as a disability portal. It was partly in reaction to their mercenary and inexcusable behavior that I strongly discourage commercial "vendor" participation in this site.

By the way, people who are part of companies are welcome to become members. They can post as members and participate in discussions, as long as they are not actively advertising their company's products. We have strongly discouraged commercial advertisements on this site.

One possibility is for members form a committee to vet advertisements, choosing only those that are not scams and that have the most interest for our members. Potentially we can even charge for it and thereby cover some of the expenses for this site.

Wise.

I know of another discussion forum that I frequent not related to SCI.

Their policy is to allow established members to recommend specific companies and post their URL if asked for recommendations from other members, but companies or individuals cannot post a thread advertising their site or product, either to start a thread or as a response to either a related or unrelated discussion. This seems to work well, but does still require significant policing by moderators, and is fairly dependent on members alerting moderators to violations of the rules.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Dale, I have been thinking of what we can do to implement your suggestion. It will take a lot of discussion. In a precursor site (Cando.com), we were actually sponsored by an e-commerce company that used the site as a disability portal. It was partly in reaction to their mercenary and inexcusable behavior that I strongly discourage commercial "vendor" participation in this site.

By the way, people who are part of companies are welcome to become members. They can post as members and participate in discussions, as long as they are not actively advertising their company's products. We have strongly discouraged commercial advertisements on this site.

One possibility is for members form a committee to vet advertisements, choosing only those that are not scams and that have the most interest for our members. Potentially we can even charge for it and thereby cover some of the expenses for this site.

Wise.

Doc Wise,

My take on the lowest hanging fruit, parsimony if you will, is to add a forum with 3-5 moderators charged with vetting the contents as a panel, with a simple majority dictating results. It would also be a place for other moderators to drop "commerical" posts into for review instead of making the call on their own and deleting. Not to imply other mods haven't the good judgment on what to delete/keep, simply to state it wouldn't be their burden to do so.

Taking in $ to support this site sounds like a fine idea. Thought, it may necessitate setting up an accounting process, tracking a ledger, AR/AP, etc. Would there be any tax considerations? is CC a 501c3?

I'd be surprised to learn that CC has overhead that wasn't already covered by donations from within the community itself. Is this site officially supported by W.M. Keck Center? or Rutgers? If not, I for one, would donate what I could, from time to time, as this resource is invaluable to me. I suspect this is true of many many others, as well.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.