Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's uplifting!

It's uplifting!

It is so great to know that having a spinal injury - does not mean that one can never be a parent.
    Of course these parents will need more support than usual, but with support they can be a wonderful parent to their baby.
    It is the quality of the relationship that is the factor - and a loving involved parent, Dad or Mom - is all an infant/child needs to flourish.
    You do great work - keep it up!
    NewParentHelp
    http://www.diapering-baby.com
    Last edited by NewParentHelp; 08-31-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: duplicated signature

And what is your point for posting here? This appears to be quite patronizing and condescending, plus spamming for a commercial site.

(KLD)

I think "Sod Off" is the most appropriate response to the OP.

Please, I had restored this thread because it had been posted by a person (not a spambot) and it expresses something that many people don't know, that people with spinal cord injury can have babies.

NewParentHelp, hello. You are welcome to come on this site but we strongly discourage advertising. As you may have noticed already, this is a web site for people, families, friends, professionals, and others who are interested in spinal cord injury and related conditions.

Wise.

I can certainly appreciate the sentiment, Dr.

Another perspective is that there's hardly a lack of info on this topic that would seem to legitimize the usefulness of this advertisement.

There are 13 _other_ threads about post-SCI folks having children, getting pregnant, parenthood, etc on just the first page of this forum alone, and none of them are a commercial for a product or service.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

As a SCI injured person I was infuriated by the tone of the OP.

I can only imagine the anger a SCI injured parent would feel being addressed in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru
    As a SCI injured person I was infuriated by the tone of the OP.

I can only imagine the anger a SCI injured parent would feel being addressed in this manner.
    Timaru, thank your for expressing your opinion. It is useful for people who are not spinal-injured to understand that some people with spinal cord injury are offended by the expression of surprise and positive emotion upon discovering that people with spinal cord injury can have children.

I have talked to many parents who did not know that their spinal-injured daughter or son can have babies, that spinal cord injury does not necessarily prevent pregnancy or the ability to produce sperm. I have even talked to some newly injured spinal-injured people who did not know. It is not surprising to find somebody who does not know.

Admittedly, the tone of this post is a bit condescending and the post does have a commercial link. The link, however, is genuine and leads to a site on diapers. If it had led to a viral site, I would have of course banned the person. It was a commercially sponsored site, which we discourage, but is not an automatic reason for banning.

The moderators and I are having a discussion concerning what to do with these kinds of posts. I believe that CareCure should be a site not only for people and families with spinal cord injury but also for people to come and learn about spinal cord injury. Therefore, I have argued that we should leave this post for people to comment on.

If the poster is a spammer or troll who is not interested in the discussion and simply wants to drive traffic to a diapering web site, we will soon find and can take appropriate actions. If not, we will also know. In any case, I don't think that it is damaging to our site to be courteous to visitors.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-04-2008 at 09:44 PM.

perhaps a forum dedicated to this type of thing, e.g. "Vendors"

i think it could help all of us, being exposed to legit 'advertising' related to SCI, much like the OP.

there isn't a place on the web yet for this...much like the Cure and Care forums give us access to studies and results that some clinicians aren't yet well briefed on, a Vendor forum could potentially bring us timely, germaine info on useful products and services!

cheers,
    dale

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Dr. Young, thank you for taking the time to highlight the shortcomings in my two blunt, not to say ill considered posts in this thread.

It had not crossed my mind that my comments could be construed as criticism of a poster expressing delight in the discovery that the SCI'ed could be fertile and for that I apologize.

Further more it was boorish in the extreme to greet a first time genuine poster with the words "Sod off" and I agree I should have been more courteous to a site visitor.

My ire was roused by the second line of the OP.......

"Of course these parents will need more support than usual, but with support they can be a wonderful parent to their baby."

........ which, however I read it, I still find condescending.

Jonathan.

It does come across as personalized spam to me, but I doubt the parent company of the product linked needs to resort to this, so perhaps is is just a naively worded post meaning to be helpful.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005