Thread: dark urine

dark urine

about two weeks ago I spiked a relatively low fever 99ish & bad chills, gave it a few days, it got better briefly, then came back = bladder infection, I was on the road (unable to get a proper culture first) & my doctor had prescribed levaquin just in case (because even if I went to the ER in another city they probably would have done the same thing) so when the symptoms started again I opted to start taking it, it helped & then my symptoms plateaued & began getting worse... we stopped the levaquin after five days, I manned up for two & took nothing so we could get a proper culture, then switched to macrobid which seems after one day to be helping more
    I have for several days though been getting random bouts of dark orange urine, intake is not an issue, I drink 5 or 6 liters of water a day... I'll drain & get dark urine (without regard to output-I just drained 800 cc of dark urine), & the next time it's crystal clear... is dark urine an indicator of something particular?
    Thanks

I'm not positive but if I remember correctly, macrobid changes the color of a persons urine.

I'm sure others will chime in and help you out though. I'll do a quick search and come back too.

Yep, it can turn it brown.

Found it here.
    http://www.drugs.com/pdr/Macrobid.html

Dark orange may be an off brown color... haha.

thanks for the replies on side effects, but what I'm getting is actually dark Orange-especially the first time I drain it in the morning or early afternoon... urine in the bed bag is crystal clear when I wake up at 7, get up eat scrambled eggs, only drug I take in the morning is oxycontin, drain the leg bag around noon & 500 to 1000cc of dark Orange urine

the next time I drain it's back to clear

Was this happening before the macrobid?

i'm having the same prob, and frankly, scared of bladder cancer. no uti, no fever. just dark urine.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    i'm having the same prob, and frankly, scared of bladder cancer. no uti, no fever. just dark urine.
    Are you drinking enough? I know that when I do not drink enough water throughout the day, my urine is a very dark yellow/orange color. Just a thought.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Was this happening before the macrobid?
    yes, but only on that first drain of the day for about a week, while I was on the levaquin... just had a cysto a in July so that's all clear, and water intake isdefinitely not the issue 5l a day

How much are you cathing for when you get the dark color?
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    How much are you cathing for when you get the dark color?
    CKF
    I have a supra-pubic tube so no cathing... just draining a bag, I generally drain when I get up & switch to a leg bag (this early the volume may be low but is clear), next I drain around noon (this is the spot where I get the dark orange-usually between 600 & 800 cc), next around 4 (crystal clear)

the darker urine would make sense to me if the volumes were lower, especially if it were earlier, before I started drinking water, but that time of day with that much urine, normally for me should be like lemonade

I finished the macrobid a couple days ago, so that should be gone, except something odd, I'm not running hot, but, and this is difficult to explain, my temperature runs low (I don't have a normal temperature... if the room is cold I'm cold), normally when I get cold I start shivering when my temp is around 97.2 degrees, the past week I have been shivering when my temperature is around 98, so something isn't right