Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is it Discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    OJ,

Do you consider indifference to be equal to discrimination? If so, then I'd say yes. It seems to me that indifference is the major culprit to your problem, not outright discrimination. In other words, it's not that they do care you're disabled, it's that they don't care at all.
    No I don't believe indifference and discrimination are the same thing. Not at all.

In any post-secondary institution you are going to find some degree of indifference whenever you run into a problem. Agnes was right on the mark with her posts. That is just the culture of post-secondary. In my experience at several different schools, most people there are not going to give a damn about you one way or another. Universities are filled with red tape and trying to navigate through it to get what you want or need can often be extremely frustrating. Especially at the beginning of a new school year. Even when you are able bodied. My emotions over this situation made me forget that. Agnes reminded me of that reality.

They may have been indifferent by choosing to ignore my emails and phone messages. Or to reply with the same, unhelpful stock answer to my repeated requests for an explanation for what was happening.

But making the conscious effort to withdraw me from a course I registered myself in wasn't indifference. Based on the reason they gave me (I was being funded with a disability grant) yes I do believe that was blatant discrimination.

And taken as such, their subsequent indifference to my attempts to sort things out was unacceptable because the entire root of the problem was a decision they made solely based on the fact I identified myself as a student with a disability.

As I said, any other student would have been free to register in the higher credit course. I was blocked from it. That was discrimination. Their failure to work with me to fix the problem was indifference.

(This thread has been very helpful. I am slowly working it out by reading and responding to the posts here. Still unsure what exactly to do about it though)

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    But making the conscious effort to withdraw me from a course I registered myself in wasn't indifference. Based on the reason they gave me (I was being funded with a disability grant) yes I do believe that was blatant discrimination.
    Got you! I read a lot of indifference from people in your posts, but I missed where you were withdrawn from a specific course in which you registered.

It's interesting you mention them telling you they advise against disabled students to take on more workload, but how exactly did they know to withdraw you from this specific course over such a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Another thought. At a lot of schools, the professor has the ability to override "full" classes, and allow specific students to enroll, even though it makes there class 1 over. You might want to contact him.
    This was my first thought when I started running into a brick wall. But as par the course as for how this has gone from the start:

The grad office wouldn't give me the name of the course instructor. They said that is available the first time you log on to the course website--which you can't do before the first day of class. Which is the most preposterous thing I have heard so far in my dealings with them.

So since it was a writing course I figured I would email the English department to see if they knew. They referred me back to the grad program office, saying the online courses are run differently and not something they deal with. So that was a dead end. I was going to try the registrar's office but by this point I was too frustrated to involve yet another department.

But I probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais

It's interesting you mention them telling you they advise against disabled students to take on more workload, but how exactly did they know to withdraw you from this specific course over such a reason.
    It is a very confusing thing I agree and I am just as confused as I am making it sound in this thread.

Basically a short answer is that they had to sign off on my grant to confirm I am enrolled in courses and not just taking the government's money and buggering off with it. Because you normally have to be registered in a 60% course load to get government funding, there was a note on my student file saying I had been approved by the government funding agency to take a lower course load if I wanted/needed to and still receive full funding.

The only reason they give this approval is if you have a documented disability. So that is how they knew.

orangejello

I sent you a PM response but;

"orangejello has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

Some one needs to do some house cleaning, before I can send the message.

You should be able to use this 40% thing more strongly. It's defined as a minimum load. However the person that contacted you claimed it is a maximum, and used that as the excuse to deny you. So clearly they were in the wrong.
    Part of the problem is that it's so damned hard for you to physically go there and speak to them face to face. And they know that.
    - Richard

Amanda,

I'm 100% with JenJen in this...

Take everything you have and give it to the President or Chancellor of the school. It seems to me, that NOBODY is doing ANYTHING execpt absolutely NOTHING. GRRR!

I used to work at a large Community College here in the USA. I worked in the bookstore, AND at Adult Ed Registration. If I had sat around at either place and simply said so sorry my hands are tied I can't help...I would have been out in the parking lot looking for another job!!! I can't grasp the realm of the fact that they could even cancel your spot in the class to begin with!!!

If going to the President or Chancellor fails, go to the Board of Trustees.

I remember as editor of the student newspaper, once I wrote an article about the fact that my friend who used a wheelchair got her chair stuck on a cigarette butt which was on the floor of the game room on campus. She loved to play pool and pinball, and I happily went with her to play when she wanted...

After I wrote the article, I got a letter from a well-known Lawyer here in town who happened to be on the Board of Trustees and he expressed concern and thanked me profusely for noticing what had happened and writing about it to get students and faculty more aware of what could happen over a simple cigarette butt in the floor.

(Mind you this was the 1970's before No Smoking laws and rules became effective.)...

I said all that to say this...

Someone on the board of trustees will LISTEN...because they FUND the school...they are not getting paid, they are donating money.

So that might be an avenue yet to be pursued.

Even if you do take the course at the other school, I would not drop this issue. You have poured your heart and soul into it, not to mention the sweat and tears...sighhhhh.

Take care and all the best!!!

Teena

Last edited by orangejello; 09-01-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Amanda,

{{{{Amanda!!!}}}}

take care.

Teena

final word....

My attempts to advocate for myself and get what any other student would have (registration in their desired courses and the university signing off on government funding) ended with the grad program director completely backing me into a corner and proposing a "solution" that was not at all going to work for me (call me paranoid but I feel he did this on purpose, knowing I couldn't/wouldn't accept his terms).

And as the kicker, he made a very thinly veiled threat about an "non-academic misconduct" charge for using non-professional language (ie daring to state my opinon that his staff were doing nothing to help me, and were in fact hindering my attempts to find a resolution, as well as using my disability as an excuse when it was not at all relevant). There was no inappropriate or non-professional language used in any of my correspondence. I have been around universities long enough to know how the game is played and how to word what I say. It was an intimidation tactic. Plain and simple.

And it worked. I let myself be bullied.

I don't know what to say or what to think. You can't win against this kind of stuff. You can't even get them to just work with you to find what could be a very easy solution. I was destined to lose all along. I see that now. But I stupidly and naively thought I could change the outcome.

This does deserve to be splashed all over the media. But I just can't stomach it anymore. I gave in and formally withdrew myself from the program today. After one very painful last-ditch effort, made in good will, to try and get only what I deserved as a student. I asked and expected nothing more. But I couldn't even get that.

I honestly don't know what else I could have done.
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-04-2008 at 05:09 PM.