Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What circumference should your bowel movement be?

What circumference should your bowel movement be?

You can look and know if it's too soft, hard, too small, not enough.
    But what makes it skinny sometimes and large around at other times?
    What's happening when it's always skinny?

Serous question.

Hi Mona,
    If you eat a lot of heavily processed foods (white bread instead of high fiber for example) you tend to have less bulk in your stool. I don't know if you take anything like Metamucil, but that usually bulks it up a bit and is an easy way of getting some extra fiber in your colon.

The size and even amount of your stool is variable...there is no absolute measure. This varies even more in SCI than in ABs as it is influenced by the relaxation or contraction of the anal sphincter.

Good to pay attention to your stools, but don't get obsessed!

Many people feel that if you are eating enough fiber your stools should float in the toilet bowl.

(KLD)

are you kidding? circumference of your crap?

this is embarrassing...maybe you should be in complete control and get a bag installed.

unusually thin can be indicative of colon cancer, i've read

Quote Originally Posted by tippyx

this is embarrassing...maybe you should be in complete control and get a bag installed.
    Sort of a mean post, don't you think? Mona already said it was a serious question, and while you consider it trivial there is no reason to dismiss her concern, or even to respond if you are just trying to make her feel badly for asking!

Mona, First let me assure you that you've come to the right place for advice. I have studied scatology for over 50 years and consider myself an expert in the field.....er...rather in the toilet. The answer is roughage and fluids. What happens when it's always skinny? Nothing. Your bowel movements are always going to be somewhat different depending on what you ate, how much you ate, how often you eat, what you drink, how much you drink, how much you exercise and so forth. That said, always turn around and admire your bowel movements in the toilet (hopefully) and encourage other family members to view and render opinions as well.

Thanks Eileen. I do try to eat alot of fiber.
    But it's probably not enough
    due to the fact I can't eat much or I gain weight bad.
    I bought some powder for more fiber.
    I think it's called "colon pure". I can tell you tomorrow.
    I'm afraid it will give me diarrhea in my chair.
    One way or another I'll try to increase it.

Sort of a mean post, don't you think? Mona already said it was a serious question, and while you consider it trivial there is no reason to dismiss her concern, or even to respond if you are just trying to make her feel badly for asking!
    Thanks! I thought they were coming of strong towards me too.
    tippx Like you can "ignore" me if you think I'm not serious.

KLD I can have ocd on things, but I have a colonoscopy coming up.
    I want to be informed.

smokey

Mona, First let me assure you that you've come to the right place for advice. I have studied scatology for over 50 years and consider myself an expert in the field.....er...rather in the toilet. The answer is roughage and fluids. What happens when it's always skinny? Nothing. Your bowel movements are always going to be somewhat different depending on what you ate, how much you ate, how often you eat, what you drink, how much you drink, how much you exercise and so forth. That said, always turn around and admire your bowel movements in the toilet (hopefully) and encourage other family members to view and render opinions as well.

Thanks smokey. I know it's suppose to form an S in the toilet.
    I just look at it as any other function in my body.

I was having wide bowel movement.
    Then they went to skinny,,,,,,,,,, "every" time.
    So out of curosity I wanted to know if it meant something.
    Now I know.

unusually thin can be indicative of colon cancer, i've read
    Quadfather I sure hope not.

Mona I love you, you make me feel so good to know that I am not the only one that wonders about things that make others just shake their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by tippyx

It is people who respond to serious question like this who cause people to not ask real questions. Some people don't have the local knowledge through the medical to know what the norms are and what are not. Sometimes you have to ask those who are experiencing or going through similar circumstances to better understand where you are or not are. K, don't try to belittle somebody for a reall life question, you did not need to answer in a mean hateful tone.

Actually, Mona, I am glad you aksed that question, I have been curious what would be normal myself. I have allot of issues with it myself.
    Are you having trouble, Mona? I have tried, Fiber, does not work, I have tired fiber pills don't work; however, organic apple cidar vinvar does help. If that is what your after, try that.
    "I've got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"