Thread: Paralyzed gymnast waits for miracle

Paralyzed gymnast waits for miracle

Paralyzed gymnast waits for miracle

Girl, 14, injured after bar dismount goes wrong

Aug 28, 2008 04:30 AM

Royson James
    City columnist

Say a prayer for Taylor. Hers is the ugly, lonely flip side of Olympic glory.

A 14-year-old elite gymnastic prospect lies paralyzed this day at Bloorview Kids Rehab in Toronto, victim of a catastrophic fall on a Seneca College practice mat last month.

Taylor Lindsay-Noel broke her neck attempting a difficult dismount from the uneven bars, that apparatus made famous by the perfect Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci.

If Taylor had managed to perfect the routine introduced by her coach, Brian McVey, her chances of making the Canadian team for the 2012 Olympics in London would be enhanced. No one, it seems, is quite prepared for the consequences of a failed attempt.

Her mom says she hasn't received as much as a phone call from Gymnastics Ontario, though Taylor was Ontario champion at the national open level. Gymnastics Canada is every bit as silent, though Taylor has represented her country.

Visit their websites and there's no sign of the tragedy among the accolades for Olympic success. Web users have been left to speculate on the gymnastic discussion board Gymbrooke.

Such is the nature of our appetite for glory.

These athletes toil in anonymity, risking life and limb to mount the Olympic podium, clothed in heroic red and white. Forgotten are the casualties along the way, as if mere collateral damage.

"This is an experiment that went tragically wrong," says her mom, Rowena Lindsay, scratching the itchy ear of her gorgeous and brilliant daughter. "It's cost her her future, unless there is a miracle ..."

more....

http://www.thestar.com/article/486810

From the article:

Lawyer Dale Orlando, who is considering a claim of negligence or liability on the part of coaches or the facility, says Taylor is a C-5 paraplegic, having compressed the spinal cord in her neck at the cervical vertebra Number 5.

I guess they didn't manage to proofread/fact check before going to press. I guess getting it half right is better than nothing.

I wish her and her family well. Very sad

Uggg. So tragic. I was in a wc at 14 and it's no fun. Luckily she's brilliant which will get her far. Too bad there aren't any trials for acutes that she could be enrolled in. I'd recommend a consultation with McDonald or Betz at this point. I don't think anyone knows more about juvenile onset SCI than they do.

My heart broke when I read this article.
    My 14 yr. old was at Bloorview for 7 months -C4/C5. Their wound care & nursing care the best, however can't say much for the PT. Since our release, we've been struggling to find the best PT for SCI and unfortunately, there's nothing avail in in Ont. for teens. We've been doing private PT as much as possible. Adult rehabs won't take them under 16 yr. old and pediatrics don't have the knowledge for SCI.
    I told my son about this young lady, and his response was, she'll get the help she needs, 'cause she's a gymnast!
    We went to SCI-Step and hope to go back. Any other suggestions for young teens, in particular, Canada?

Please advise who is McDonald or Betz?

timbits mom
    did you try theraputix (theraputi.ca)? they might take under 16.

Quote Originally Posted by timbits mom
    My heart broke when I read this article.
    My 14 yr. old was at Bloorview for 7 months -C4/C5. Their wound care & nursing care the best, however can't say much for the PT. Since our release, we've been struggling to find the best PT for SCI and unfortunately, there's nothing avail in in Ont. for teens. We've been doing private PT as much as possible. Adult rehabs won't take them under 16 yr. old and pediatrics don't have the knowledge for SCI.
    I told my son about this young lady, and his response was, she'll get the help she needs, 'cause she's a gymnast!
    We went to SCI-Step and hope to go back. Any other suggestions for young teens, in particular, Canada?
    Hi Timbits,

Sorry for the oversight. Drs. John McDonald and Randal Betz are highly respected for their expertise in the treatment and care of pediatric SCI, however, both are based out of the US. I don't know of any pediatric SCI doctors or centers in Canada but perhaps you can get in touch with Dr. Michel Rathbone at McMaster University. We have several Canadian members so perhaps one of them will have more to share.
    Last edited by antiquity; 09-09-2008 at 02:15 AM.

I think GF Strong in Vancouver might do some pediatric stuff. They have a adolescent & young adult program.

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I'm checking into everything I can. Our first thought (it's the closest) is trying for McMaster and am looking into the McWheelers program, there's Chedoke as well but am waiting to hear from our physiatrist as she was going to do some leg work for us. I have contacted theraputix for a tour but haven't heard back as yet. As far as going to B.C., that's a hard one right now. We're dealing with a 'man-child' attitude, who's trying so hard in everything he does but doesn't want to fall behind in school and miss being around his friends. By the same token, we all know how critical PT is the first couple of years and are constantly torn inbetween doing enough for his PT and trying to keep a balance for his moral. Sometimes I feel like giving up another year of school & focus only on PT. Hopefully something will fall into place.