Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ileostomy vs. colostomy?

Colostomy Recovery time?

I am seriously thinking of having a colostomy. I was wondering how long you are usually in the hospital and then after you get home what things do you need to do while everything heals and how long is it usually before you can drive, go back to work etc? any info. would be appreciated!

ileostomy vs. colostomy?

What is the difference in the two and is one better/worse than the other? any details would be appreciated! i have looked up the 2 and cant seem to be able to tell what is different between the two. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by summergirl89
    What is the difference in the two and is one better/worse than the other? any details would be appreciated! i have looked up the 2 and cant seem to be able to tell what is different between the two. Thanks!
    Ileostomi is a stomi from the small intestine and colostomi is from large intestine(colon).

I have heard that the iliostomi gives more trouble with diarrhea and constipation and you have to be careful with what you eat. With a colostomi your stool is like before and you can eat what you want.
    TH 12, 43 years post

An Ilieostomy is higher in the intestines. OUtput is more liquid, and more frequent (a little bit, almost all the time, more shortly after eating). I think it is generally done for a medical reason (mine was). Elective would be more likely to be a colostomy. Further down, more "formed" output, and more likely to be output on some sort of schedule (similar to as when ab, you "went" in the morning? or such)., and an empty bag the rest of the time. So a little more control on handling it. Some people actually do a bp with a colostomy ..... irrigate it and really control when they have output.

If you are considering this, there are some really good threads on "should I get one". You can use the search option on the toolbar, but here are a couple:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/search....0&pp=25&page=2

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=colostomy

Oh, and I think a colostomy might be healthier, as you have more colon to pass through, and absorb nutrients.

eta, saw above. I don;t have any trouble with what I eat, but I did have a lot of precautions. They just don;t seem to bother me personally.
    Last edited by sjean423; 08-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

An ileostomy is from the small intestine and does not use the colon at all. The stool is completely liquid, so of course a bag must be used at all times. Rarely is there a reason to do this procedure unless you have a bowel disease or damage that would require that the large intestine be completely removed. It is more difficult to bag, and and leakage burns the skin more than stool from a colostomy. It is also more difficult to maintain sufficient fluid intake (since most of the water of your stool is absorbed in the large intestine) to prevent dehydration, and some nutrients that are actually absorbed or made in the large intestine can also be lacking. It would be extremely rare to have constipation (or even a soft formed stool) with an ileostomy.

I will look for some diagrams and post later (got to run right now).

(KLD)

oops. thanks KLD. I edited out colon in my post.

Mine was done as part of the large was perforated and was leaking into my abdominal cavity. It was meant to be reversible (nothing was removed, just had to heal) but I have chosen not to. I have had issues pre sci, and compounded with a bp, decided that this was the way to go.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

OK, here is an ileostomy example:

Here is a colostomy example:

This is a descending segment colostomy with an appliance (bag) in place:

(KLD)

great info, thanks! making "ileostomy" off list completely now!

An ileostomy is created with your small intestine and a colostomy is created using your large intestine. The majority of people who get ileostomies (according to people I've chatted with at the support group I attend) are for ulcerative colitis or colon cancer that is really high up in the large intestine. The output from a colostomy is way more formed than it is coming from an ileostomy.
    I had an ileostomy done in January, and it was because only 1/2 of my large intestine was functioning and starting to get tiny tears in the non-functioning part, due to severe constipation (despite being on every laxitive and bowel program you could think of). They took my entire large intestine out, except for 1 1/2 inches of my rectum. Most of the time, the output from my ileostomy is mostly liquid, but if I eat applesauce or peanut butter, it thickens it up a bit. I usually have to empty my pouch 4-5 times a day and change the whole appliance every 3-4 days.
    Plus, because your large intestine is the main source for absorbing fluids and potassium in your body, you have to drink a lot of fluids throughout the day to avoid dehydration. I have to drink between 10-12 cups a day (which sometimes is hard if you already have bladder problems and leak a lot), and even with that, I still am dehydrated a little bit. Also, you can't take any extended-release or coated pills anymore, because they will just go right through you without dissolving (but you get used to the liquid medicines very quickly). There is also a risk of getting something called "diversion colitis" in the piece of rectum they leave in you, due to it not being active and inflaming frequently.

As far as appliances go, the ostomy nurse who was teaching me in the hospital told me that drainable pouches are the only option for ileostomies, due to the amount of time you have to empty the pouch daily. She told me that if you used closed pouches, you'd run out way before you got more from your supplier. People who have colostomies can use closed pouches exclusively or even irrigate the stoma and go pouch free for about a day. There are also pouch covers that are very nice and in several prints and fabrics (they even make some for sex made of silk and crotchless panties with a opening to hold the pouch in the underwear). If you are a wiz on the sewing machine, you can easily make them at home.
    I am actually very happy I got the surgery done. If I had to get it done again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. You might want to go to the UOAA website and chat with others who have had this surgery (www.uoaa.org) too!

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    Ileostomi is a stomi from the small intestine and colostomi is from large intestine(colon).

I have heard that the iliostomi gives more trouble with diarrhea and constipation and you have to be careful with what you eat. With a colostomi your stool is like before and you can eat what you want.
    Ileostomies don't get constipated. In fact, you should not take laxitives if you have an ileostomy, becuase of rapid dehydration that can result from it. If it acts like its constipated, it is most likely a blockage (some things can get stuck and block the flow of output). You can still get diarrhea, just like other people, but its a bit more dangerous for people with ileostomies, due to the rapid fluid loss. You have to compensate by drinking Pedialyte (which I don't see how kids can stand to drink this stuff 'cause its nasty), taking anti-diarrheal medicine, and eating something to thicken the output like peanut butter or applesauce.