Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Quadraplegic athlete decides to end her life

I agree that more could be done to help those that want to live.

As a vent dependent quad for 23 years, I agree that there should be an option. However, in this case, a few days of injury is not enough time to decide.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by vgrafen
    This story is not only sad, but plays into the idea that life as a plegic is un-endurable:

http://www.sacbee.com/114/story/1193275.html
    She made a choice. I think it's very courageous to live and to end one's life in such a condition. It's a difficult decision to choose regardless.

I'm pleased she lives in a state that affords this option.

It's tough to call unless you're in their skin. I had a good friend who decided to turn off her ventilator, about 8 years post injury with constant syrinx problems. I supported her because she'd talked about it taken time to make the decision. My view is if you don't have the right to end your own life you have no rights.

I agree completely with Leif that bankrupting the family should not be a consideration as two whether you wish to continue live or not

Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc
    I'm pleased she lives in a state that affords this option.
    I agree 100%. Who are we to judge
    Sometimes the lights all shinin on me; Other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been: The Grateful Dead

obviously, no one can judge. i think it sad she thought life as a vent dependent quad was useless. wonder (not too hard) where she got that idea. especially since she never really tried it. find it incredibly sad so many think it's ok she felt she had no life left. better think bout who is telling ppl that before you go on bout how "you" wouldn't want to live that way. i've heard many say low level paralysis would be too much. and i've watched them kill themselves because ppl agreed. it's pathetic. no, it's criminal.

and, as a c7 quad, that doc i posted about on another thread, went on to say to me today how impressed he was i "carried on." with that shit, at c7, i'm surprised more don't think their lives are useless.
    Last edited by cass; 08-29-2008 at 03:18 AM.

I agree that this decision is an importasnt right but feel trainman is correct that friends, family and doctors should have prevailed upon her to take more time.

Back in 70 when I was out of the acute care hospital and in rehab there was an "assisted suicide" in my acute care hospital. A young farmer from the area had an sci and was a para. At his request his brother smuggled a shotgun in and blew him away in his hospital bed. Must have startled the hospital staff!!

In rehab, one of my buddies was a new para who had a condition called syndactylism (?) I believe - his fingers and toes were fused and there were other deformities. He had apparently compensated well for the problem and had been a champion highschool wrestler. Having dealt with one disability he apparenrtly wasn't ready to make the life compromises entailed in dealing with another. He saved up his meds, went to a quiet area of the rehab center one night and overdosed. I spent a lot of time with him and had no idea he was so depressed.

This woman tri-athlete apparently based her whole life on her athletic prowess and could not comprehend life struggling with quadriplegia. She lost the opportunity to learn she could have become a much bigger champion by "slugging it out." I support her right to make the decision but think it was wrong headed.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp
    I agree that this decision is an importasnt right but feel trainman is correct that friends, family and doctors should have prevailed upon her to take more time.

Back in 70 when I was out of the acute care hospital and in rehab there was an "assisted suicide" in my acute care hospital. A young farmer from the area had an sci and was a para. At his request his brother smuggled a shotgun in and blew him away in his hospital bed. Must have startled the hospital staff!!

In rehab, one of my buddies was a new para who had a condition called syndactylism (?) I believe - his fingers and toes were fused and there were other deformities. He had apparently compensated well for the problem and had been a champion highschool wrestler. Having dealt with one disability he apparenrtly wasn't ready to make the life compromises entailed in dealing with another. He saved up his meds, went to a quiet area of the rehab center one night and overdosed. I spent a lot of time with him and had no idea he was so depressed.

This woman tri-athlete apparently based her whole life on her athletic prowess and could not comprehend life struggling with quadriplegia. She lost the opportunity to learn she could have become a much bigger champion by "slugging it out." I support her right to make the decision but think it was wrong headed.
    OMG! I remember that movie it was on television with Ron Howard I believe. I had to watch it for a class I was thinking in college. It was a quite heated debate the next day in class.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

If your speaking of the shotgun "assisted suicide" I had no idea it was a movie. It happened at the Jersey Shore Medical Center in 1970, possibly 71.

Re the tri athlete, didn't Dana Reeve talk Chris Reeve out of assisted suicide early in his acute care. I seem to remember she asked him to give it a year. The rest is history.