Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchairs on wood floors

I think you can't go wrong with solid oak flooring. I never had any problems with it and they're easy to clean and keep in shape. Fortunately, I've never dropped any sharp things or acid liquids yet. Now my oak floor is over 5 years old and still looks good.
    Last edited by byron977; 03-17-2009 at 12:13 PM.

wheelchairs during mud season

Ok what do you all do after some of the snow has melted and your wheels get all muddy? I'm in a power chair right now (hoping to get a manual within a years time) and I went for a walk yesterday with my sister and friend and came home. My mom was sweeping the floors the rest of the day!! Is there anything I can do before I come in from a long walk to clean my chair off? She said that if I keep coming in like this all the left over salt and dirt is going to ruin our wood floors. I would like to know what others do weather in a power or manual chair. Thanks.

Hardwood is the way to go. I have hickory throughout.

Cleaning ur chair with a damp rag or towel after coming in might help. Also, a good wax / protectant on ur floors should help as well. There's a product called Bona-x, available in most grocery stores, which helps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    Ok what do you all do after some of the snow has melted and your wheels get all muddy? I'm in a power chair right now (hoping to get a manual within a years time) and I went for a walk yesterday with my sister and friend and came home. My mom was sweeping the floors the rest of the day!! Is there anything I can do before I come in from a long walk to clean my chair off? She said that if I keep coming in like this all the left over salt and dirt is going to ruin our wood floors. I would like to know what others do weather in a power or manual chair. Thanks.
    I have an industrial piece of carpet at my entrance that I park my motor chair on, then I transfer in my manual chair. Other than that I have parquet wood flooring, which is pretty standard in the apartments here. I know very few people with wall to wll carpet. with the nicer weather, I'll be leaving tracks throughout my house from rolling in my manual out on the wet sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie2130 View Post
    I'm ripping up the carpet in my room. I'd like to replace it with solid wood floors. Do any of you have wood floors? I wanted to know how it holds up with the wheelchair rolling on it so much. They showed me a vinyl plank that's supposed to look like wood, but it looks like vinyl when you compare the two. Any wood floor users here?
    I know some one who owns his own home & he has Bamboo wood floors as well as area rugs in his dining area & living room. As far as I know the floors have holding up well to his daily use of a power chair.

pergo here. great stuff, bullet proof. there are varying ranges of it. we got pergo passages i believe, thicker laminate and backing. i wouldnt do wood, w/ the chair, me dropping shit daily and the dog, it would be toast.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla View Post
    A flooring that is floated has space between it and whatever is underneath. That you do not want because it will sag, and it sounds hollow when walked on.
    Uh-oh, that's not right. "Floating" a floor refers to leveling it, often by use of a liquid epoxy or with concrete. Then the tile or wood or laminate is installed on top of the flat surface. There's no sag or hollow sound.

Oh! As to the basic topic, I love my solid, oak floors. We were lucky to be able to restore them when we bought our 50s era house. They're gorgeous and don't seem to mind my wheelchair at all.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    We have the same problem (but also add in two big dogs and a 8 year old boy who treks in the same stuff). Unfortunately, I have no solution other than to sweep and mop alot. We don't deal with salt down here at least. But ... we had our bedroom redone from carpet to hardwoods last week. Everywhere in the house was hardwood except our bedroom. After 3 years, we threw in the towel and got the hardwoods. The installer said that its pretty impossible to ruin hardwoods, even with dirt, etc. He said its just the finish that ends up looking bad, and you can resand and refinish when needed if it gets really bad.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Laminate Works Great

My grandmother has an assisted living home for the elderly and that's exactly what we did several years ago. She has just installed new carpet several years earlier and it was not working out at all. We installed some Pergo laminate flooring, it wasn't too hard to put in, took us like two days, and it still looks good today.

-John
    Anchorage

we had carpet in are house since we moved in it 38 years ago. my mom wanted new carpet my brothers came over and started taking up the old carpet and there were hardwood floors underneath. my mom said cleaned a spot and then waxed it they looked good. it took days of cleaning but after 38 years and 8 kids it was a little nasty. i have been rolling on them for a while now you can't even tell. you might want to put a rug in it the door for when your wheels get wet or have a old towel to wipe them off. it makes pushing a lot easier. one push and i can go from one side of the house to the other.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland