Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchairs on wood floors

Wheelchairs on wood floors

I'm ripping up the carpet in my room. I'd like to replace it with solid wood floors. Do any of you have wood floors? I wanted to know how it holds up with the wheelchair rolling on it so much. They showed me a vinyl plank that's supposed to look like wood, but it looks like vinyl when you compare the two. Any wood floor users here?

Wood floors have been great in our house, no wear from the wheelchair at all. (Now, the trim around the doors is another thing! That gets dinged on a regular basis.)

It is an older home with original hard woods that were refinished just before we moved in. They are also so much easier to maneuver on.

Hi,
    Go to http://www.cpa-odyssey.org/ and then "modifications" and look up Geoffrey Olsen. Then you will see my wood floors.

I have 'site finished' Brazillian Cherry Wood floors through out the entire house. I love it. The only thing is that my dusty wheels will leave tracks on it. So I have to do a little cleaning - don't mind it at all. The reason for the site finished is that I do not have any bevelled edges so the floor is toally flat. I didn't want the little edges because I could feel the bumps all the time.

I forgot.

The way you can get around the tire tracks is get a lighter wood - like beech.

G

Laminate flooring holds up well, we have it throughout our house.

I have wood floors up and down. They seem to be handling my powerchair very well.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

lol i am cheap this was a foreclosure the carpets were worse than nasty. i just left the concrete floor suits me its clean granted doesn/t look as nice
    but ......

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie2130
    I'm ripping up the carpet in my room. I'd like to replace it with solid wood floors. Do any of you have wood floors? I wanted to know how it holds up with the wheelchair rolling on it so much. They showed me a vinyl plank that's supposed to look like wood, but it looks like vinyl when you compare the two. Any wood floor users here?
    Hello johnnie2130,

I have parquet oak flooring in my living rooms – no carpets – anywhere. And are very pleased with that.

These types of floors are very durable I find (well one could go for tiles or something but that is not so forgivable if one should flip over or loose something) and I have had it and wheeled on it since around 2000 and just a few minor scratches shows and I have done nothing with it. Very easy to clean as well due to the smooth surface.

And if one buys some good parquet flooring of some thickness one can also grind and lacquer it several times over several decades if the surface is not looking too good after some years.

And if choosing say some parquet flooring go for the harder wood types, like nice cherry wood is softer than for example oak and then more vulnerable for scratches and marks.

Depending on the facing direction of the room vs. the sun and window areas in the room you plan to install wooden floor in, it can also be a smart thing to look into and consider this as how much daylight you get into your room. Like if you get little daylight into you’re room a smart thing could be to install wood types that are lighter in colour. Like for example oak are much lighter than mentioned cherry wood.

As for vinyl plank or vinyl laminated look-alike flooring vs. real wood parquet or wood flooring I wouldn’t go for that although such vinyl flooring is very durable due to such vinyl flooring is very cold in itself (might not be a problem in Louisiana though). But next time at the shop, check the temp by fingers (for those who can feel) on the surface of the two and compare between laminated vinyl floor and real parquet wood flooring, one will be surprised. I have cables in my floors, but I only use that wintertime.

Hope some tips here could help you to decide. And off course there are also many other ways to make wooden flooring and different types of floor but that is for you to might want to look at. If you have an existing floor with carpet on you would like to modify, I’d go for wooden parquet or some other similar systems.

Oh, and if installing some wooden flooring, parquet or otherwise. Don’t fall into the trap of making some fancy zigzag pattern or something although it might seem like a good idea at first. You’d’ soon enough become tired of such an installation of the floor. Go for old fashion parallels, easy for the eyes over time and will never go out of fashion.

Good luck.

Johnnie, did the same thing, my wife is a genius. We ripped up the gawd awful shag carpet in the front,dining,hallway and found beautiful oak floors from the 1950's. AND, just so happened about 6 mo later oldest sone went into hardwood floor co work. He had acess to swedish finish and replaced a couple of spots that were moisture stained, beautiful, it's been 11 yrs and people still walkin and gasp at the expanse of floors and the condition.(we actually just acquired an old (my grandmothers from the 40's , woven carpet) to cover high traffic in front room) But it is HEAVEN compared to carpets!
    The only prob is if you go in an out the tires track crap in here(raining Seattle, with trees all around the house),got most of family trained to remove shoes but I haven't quite figured out the remove wheels routine.

Don't know if your house is on a slab or not, but stained concrete floors are wonderful for wheelchairs. One of our favorite restaurants has them, and my boyfriend is totally in love with wheeling around on them.

This site has some good pictures. http://www.concreteideas.com/concret...nterior_floors

I'm pretty sure you have to be able to pour new concrete, or a new layer of concrete on existing concrete to get the appropriate smoothness, finish and color.