Thread: My soap box of the month

My soap box of the month

Will leave a note here since I will be out of pocket for a few days. Dad passed away this week. Will be headed for Nebraska for funeral services on Wed. so will be out of touch for awhile.

My soap box for the next while is PSA tests. This is the blood test usually given to guys over 50 or those with a history of prostate cancer in the family. Well dad has had this test since it became available, results have always been well within the 'normal' limits. They ended up doing prostate surgury in September just because of the swelling. Well the biopsey on the removal came back positive. After much discussion in Sept and Oct the decision was made to start radiation treatments, before that was to start this month, we took him in for a x-ray to discover what was causing some back pain he was having - cancer in his spine, a chest x-ray also showed it in his lungs. The 'funny' thing about all of this is that the latest PSA test done at the end of Nov. was still within 'normal' limits.

So those of you who have special men in your lives make sure they question their doctors closely, especially if they are getting 'normal' psa results but still haveing swelling an frequent urination. Alternative investigation might be warrented. Dad did report these additional issues to his doc but since his psa test was normal it didn't raise any flags from either the family doc or the urologist.

For his sake however from the time the lung issues were found until the end was about 2 weeks so he didn't have to suffer a great deal of pain.

So Sorry

To hear about your dad. Please know that you are in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing the PSA information. Be well and drop us a note here when you can.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Tag, I'm sorry to hear your news; you'll be in my thoughts.

And thanks for the info re the PSA; none of us can take anything -not anything -for granted anymore when it concerns our health.

You have my deepest sympathy, tag. Hang in there!

Thanks for the info!

Tag, my deepest sympathy on your loss. You'll be in my thoughts.

martha

My deepest sympathies Tag. My Dad's was caught early with a rise in his PSA and one round of radiation appears to be all he needed. My cousin, much younger, wasn't so lucky. Like your Dad his PSA was in the normal range and so when cancer was found in the colon it was assumed it spread to the prostate--wrong. It was the other way round and with symptoms someone should have done some serious exploring. He did live for 3 more years and the last 6 months were very painful. Take some comfort in knowing your father was spared the pain. {{{{{{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Sorry..

Sorry, Tag, for your loss. It is so hard to lose our parent
    especially at this season... He is at peace now and doesn't
    have to go through further suffering. As a Nurse though, I
    must comment that his Doc must have been very trusting/niave
    because most standards of care will question an enlarged
    prostate, then when malignacy is found a cat scan and chest
    xray are usually ordered to rule out any spread. It wouldn't
    have made any difference in the big pic, but maybe someone
    else will read this and use it in the future for someone else.
    He actually was blessed in not having many tougher days with
    chemo, radiation etc.....
    Bless you with peace and healing.....and to your family.
    Linda

Tag, so sorry for your loss. It is so painful to lose a parent (or anyone you love). God Bless you and your family during this difficult time.

Mazey is right. The current standard of care is to both a manual prostate exam and a PSA. Any enlargement of the prostate should be considered suspicious, even with a normal PSA, and a test such as a transrectal ultrasound and biopsy would then be indicated. It is never appropriate to diagnose or rule out prostate cancer simply on the basis of the PSA or a digital exam alone.

Here are some references on this:

http://www.albertadoctors.org/resour...-guideline.pdf

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/Cancer...te/default.htm

http://www.acpm.org/prostate.htm

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/3rduspstf...prostaterr.htm

http://www.guideline.gov/VIEWS/summa...rostate+cancer

I am sorry for your loss. I hope your message will help others learn to ask questions about their care in this area as well.

(KLD)