Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Transfer Tips

Kayak Transfer Tips

I've just moved into my new place and it has a kayak rental shop right below it because I live right on the water. So this past weekend, my boyfriend and I went kayaking. It was awesome and I had a blast, but I wasn't able to transfer into the kayak on my own because it was floating in the water. In the past, I've always kayaked alone and I've transfered into it on the beach and then had someone pull the kayak into the water or push myself into the water.

How do you transfer into a kayak?

So far the only way for me is to have my sig. other push/pull me from from the shore. Good luck any other way.
    Sometimes the lights all shinin on me; Other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been: The Grateful Dead

Don't have any tips, but do include some pictures next trip out.

Like Van Q, no tips, but the kayaking sounds like big fun.

Your new place sounds perfect!
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 08-29-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: because i suck poking keys

I don't know about in the water. If there is a dock, I back the kayak under the dock and transfer in feet first off the edge of the dock.
    C3/4 Brown Sequard

Quote Originally Posted by KiranA
    I've just moved into my new place and it has a kayak rental shop right below it because I live right on the water. So this past weekend, my boyfriend and I went kayaking. It was awesome and I had a blast, but I wasn't able to transfer into the kayak on my own because it was floating in the water. In the past, I've always kayaked alone and I've transfered into it on the beach and then had someone pull the kayak into the water or push myself into the water.

How do you transfer into a kayak?
    How much arm strength and balance do you have? I am wondering if it would be possible to modify what is called a "paddle bridge entry" for you to use?

Basically you would have the kayak in the water and place the paddle across the back of the cockpit so one blade is on the dock (or shore) and the other is pointed out at the water. This stabilizes the boat. The usual way to do this entry is you grab the paddle shaft with both hands, putting pressure down on the kayak, and swing your legs one at a time into the cockpit. The paddle keeps the boat stable. To give yourself more stability, someone can stand on the blade that is on the dock.

I just mention this because when I used to kayak getting in was not really something I enjoyed. Most I have seen use this method from a squatting position. But when I used to use to do it I would sit on the dock and slide over so that I was entering from a seated position. Basically slide over, grab the paddle, then swing my legs in one and a time. If you are using a basic kayak with a flat bottom, you shouldn't tip as the paddle works as a brace. As long as you don't put too much weight on the paddle (its meant more for balance) I think it would work for you.

Just an idea. I hope that wasn't too muddled of an explanation.

no pictures on this link which might be helpful, but maybe this link would be useful

http://paddling.about.com/od/paddlin...Into_Kayak.htm
    Last edited by orangejello; 08-29-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Sorry no tips!

But a question ... do you sit on your chair cushion? Or What do you do to protect your bum while kayaking, pressure relief etc? Just curious ... I've been discussing & thinking about going kayaking with my boyfriend. He is a 6 months post T-4. We where also wondering if spasms would cause problems while kayaking. Any info you can share about things you've already figured out would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have tips:

Try a canoe!

I have an old canoe that I cut the rear seat out of. I sit on the floor in one of those stadium seats with the soft back. I can paddle well enough to control the canoe alone. Now you probably don't want to cut the seat out of your canoe especially if it is a rental. so try different seating locations. For pressure reliefs just hold the gunwales and lift!

They don't tip nearly as easily as a kayak.

There's room for a cooler.

And I think paddling in a canoe with your sweetheart is more romantic than a couple of kayaks. DeeLove: your man will feel like a stud when he's paddling you around!

Awww... how sweet.

I'm a lover not a fighter