Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Curious/personal question

Quote Originally Posted by wtf
    I didnt get from your posts that you're a vegan too or I would have asked. Thanks, I'll take you up on it.
    I'm not but like AlexAgain I found the book The Food Revolution by John Robbins a seminal read. Unlike her I came out of my waffling stage (I think Alex will try on and eventually come to a better diet) with a diet that has little place for red meats in it and includes lots of delicious fruits and veggies. Reading that book would be the first step I would recommend for you if you truly want to stop eating meat. I eat mostly seafood now and regard all the flesh from so called domesticated animals as "misery meat" (not mystery meat). I still eat some smoked pork once in a while but never without reflecting on the fact that by doing so I'm subsidizing the misery these poor creatures go through - living their entire lives in one of three tiny cages stacked one on top of the next. The pig has roughly the intelligence of the dog and a sense of smell that allows it to detect edible roots buried in the ground. Imagine the misery of such an animal made to exist as described so we can honor each christmas by giving the family pet dog special treats while the pig's place of honor is being a christmas ham.

Anyhow, there's lots more good reasons to stop eating meats and adopt a vegan or vegetarian diet and the John Robbins book covers most of them. I truly wish you good luck with this and that you keep us posted and that you keep asking about anything else your curious about.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I'm not but like AlexAgain I found the book The Food Revolution by John Robbins a seminal read. Unlike her I came out of my waffling stage (I think Alex will try on and eventually come to a better diet) with a diet that has little place for red meats in it and includes lots of delicious fruits and veggies. Reading that book would be the first step I would recommend for you if you truly want to stop eating meat. I eat mostly seafood now and regard all the flesh from so called domesticated animals as "misery meat" (not mystery meat). I still eat some smoked pork once in a while but never without reflecting on the fact that by doing so I'm subsidizing the misery these poor creatures go through - living their entire lives in one of three tiny cages stacked one on top of the next. The pig has roughly the intelligence of the dog and a sense of smell that allows it to detect edible roots buried in the ground. Imagine the misery of such an animal made to exist as described so we can honor each christmas by giving the family pet dog special treats while the pig's place of honor is being a christmas ham.

Anyhow, there's lots more good reasons to stop eating meats and adopt a vegan or vegetarian diet and the John Robbins book covers most of them. I truly wish you good luck with this and that you keep us posted and that you keep asking about anything else your curious about.
    Thanks so much, I'll definitely check out the book. I've never thought much about the animals suffering, I get grossed out if I hit a piece of grisle and then I almost want to barf. So do you drink milk, is soy milk a good alternative cuz I kinda dig that stuff.

hot dogs are so yum and in every form (corn dogs, chili dogs, pretzel dogs). Is Bill Maher that scary loooking dude with the black girl fetish?
    Yes, that's me, girlfriend. - Bill Maher

wtf,

Apparently Bill Maher loves men, too:

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Yes, that's me, girlfriend. - Bill Maher
    Lol, I thought so. did his new season start yet?

Thanks so much, I'll definitely check out the book. I've never thought much about the animals suffering, I get grossed out if I hit a piece of grisle and then I almost want to barf. So do you drink milk, is soy milk a good alternative cuz I kinda dig that stuff.
    I don't do any dairy products but that's more a digestive issue than anything to do with going vegetarian. Soy milk doesn't work for me either for some reason though I do recommend it and there are some great brands on the market like Silk Dream. I am able to eat and digest the fermented soy products and recently tried some three year aged miso made with soy and barley and found it out of this world.*

After trying a few other misos that didn't impress I went to amazon and ordered a four pack of Hacho Miso (from Eden Soy*). It's super concentrated so the scary looking price really...
    *http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=105089&page=7 Post # 66
    J.B.S.Haldane

Lol, I thought so. did his new season start yet?
    FRIDAY! I can't wait.

I don't do any dairy products but that's more a digestive issue than anything to do with going vegetarian. Soy milk doesn't work for me either for some reason though I do recommend it and there are some great brands on the market like Silk Dream. I am able to eat and digest the fermented soy products and recently tried some three year aged miso made with soy and barley and found it out of this world.*

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=105089&page=7
    So is soy milk geared mainly to women. My father was picking me up a carton and started chatting to a woman who's son is a cop and I assume a fit guy -- anyway she told my daddy that her son told her that soy milk isn't good for males but I can't remember the reason now. any thoughts.

So is soy milk geared mainly to women. My father was picking me up a carton and started chatting to a woman who's son is a cop and I assume a fit guy -- anyway she told my daddy that her son told her that soy milk isn't good for males but I can't remember the reason now. any thoughts.
    My only thoughts are that it's news to me and it doesn't make much sense. Soy milk is just pureed and flavored soy in some water and I haven't heard anything about soy beihg a gender preferential food.
    J.B.S.Haldane

My only thoughts are that it's news to me and it doesn't make much sense. Soy milk is just pureed and flavored soy in some water and I haven't heard anything about soy beihg a gender preferential food.
    Ok, i'll have to ask my dad exactly what she said and get back to you on that one.