Page 94 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

just had a blah day.. lot do do and nothing got done... just wanted to say godnight to someone so night night everyone!

The other day at Subway, a customer came in and said, "Only women should be making sandwiches." I wanted to club him with a loaf of bread. He later explained that's how he grew up. Oh well.

I worked at Blimpies briefly as a teen, and I made some damn good sandwiches, better than the ones the tweaker chick I worked with made. And when I get hungry I still do make some damn good sandwiches, so I'd say it's an equal oppertunity pursuit.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

NOT your health-sandwich...totally decadent...but:
    Thick slices of white bread, homemade if available
    Saute green onions and mushrooms in butter
    Scramble eggs in same, salt/pepper
    Slather mayo on BOTH slices of bread
    Pack on the eggs, serve w/Cheetos and Pepsi--NOT Coke.

We call'em Greg's Eggs 'cuz a guy named Greg taught me to make these when I have one of those 'I need a comfort food fix' nites.

If you had to read all the posts to jump in here, you'd be too old to jump! But it's a good thread . . . lots of life recorded in these pages.

Welcome, everybody, in case it still needs to be said.

Our greatest concert experience was Eric Clapton last year on Bruce's birthday--the one and only time a wheelchair is an advantage, it turns out, is when you want front row seats at Key Arena in Seattle.

Wow. Clapton walks on the stage like he's wandering into his own garage . . . old jeans, short-sleeved shirt, tennis shoes . . .sits down and starts doin' this whole magic thing with that guitar, and he's like 20 yards away from us. Could not believe it.

It's night right now . . . girls in the living room watching a video called "The Perfect Man", just cooked a hunk of roast beef, Bruce just got home from the pass after playing on his monoski all evening, and tomorrow the Seahawks are going to whale on that other team and make it to the SuperBowl for the first time. Okay, maybe they are.

I got a strange story to tell, which I ought to save for another time, but it's on my mind. I was at my friend's kid's soccer game today, and she introduced me to a guy I'd briefly met at a croquet party last sommer. The croquet party is kind of a tradition--everybody wears tennis whites and drinks a lot of beer and we all eat too much. Bruce (who can walk with a cane and has use of one hand) is a regular player in the big annual tournament. There are, like goofy trophies and ribbons, stuff like that. Last summer he almost won. The men all pretend to take it very seriously, this tournament.

So, this guy is making conversation about the croquet thing while we stand on the sidelines of the soccer game, and it's kind of raining and I'm only half paying attention. And I say, "hey, are you the one who knocked Bruce out last year?"

And he says, "If you can't knock Bruce out, you're not really trying."

I was speechless (unusual for me, lol). This clown doesn't realize, see, that I'm married to that crazy gimp who thinks he can play freakin' croquet with the normal people--he's standing there with his fat face insulting my husband--a person with more guts and smarts than he can even imagine.

I want to slap him, but I just say mildly that Bruce seems to hold his own pretty well, and my friend jumps in (she's embarrassed) and agrees with me. We move on, but here I am 10 hours later, still pissed off and still wanting to make it right in my head.

AB people who take their AB-ness for granted sometimes make me want to vomit. This is what I wanted to say to him . . . Buddy, you don't know what trying is, and you should thank God for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kate

AB people who take their AB-ness for granted sometimes make me want to vomit. This is what I wanted to say to him . . . Buddy, you don't know what trying is, and you should thank God for that.
    Yes Kate I think I know what you mean ...... I can only accept comments like those because I believe in karma ... "what goes around comes around" (poor sap ) however its as much of a survival technique as anything for me . I've always maintained that the knowledge we've gained (about what true strength is and what really matters in life) after having sustained the trauma to our family (as a result of Bill's injury) is like this sortof small compensatory gift of insight we've all received ...... only problem is it means we have to find a way to be that much more patient with schmucks like that fellow ..... I'd like to beleive I was always aware of that fact before Bill was hurt but I wonder if in truth I really was ???? .... I sure hope so ! I have to/ want to believe people don't intenionally mean to be cruel with the things they say ... they're just not fully evolved yet !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Talking

Eric, Eric you say.......I went to see him in Knoxville a few years ago, it was the second time to see him, he is spectacular. Don't you think he seems shy? I'm not sure what it is about him but he really is attractive to me, I still listen to the Clapton Unplugged cd often. I was so sure that he was going to know that I was the one for him til that little tramp of a back-up singer started movin in on him......the frickin nerve of that hussy.

Just took a new-recipe Danish Apple cake out of the oven and it smells wonderful. With this new dual fuel stove the oven is convection and it will take a while to get the timing right. But at least it looks and smells good.

Jim is loving our new house, and is doing a lot more independently. We are really happy with the way his bedroom and bathroom came out. Almost broke out Champagne for the first shower! Just having room for all the "stuff" is monumental, to say nothing of having to run around gathering it up from assorted stash places. Except for the basement he can get into every room in the house.

It snowed yesterday and it was so beautiful and quiet, almost hated to break the spell with shoveling. But then the neighbors new puppy made that chore fun too. Don't you love it when they scoot around with their nose in the snow? I'm giving our cat, Lizzzard, a rest period after the trauma of our move then we are getting a dog. Can't decide whether a service dog or to rescue a shelter dog. It will be hard since Lizzzard is quite particular about being the only pricess in the house.

Kate - glad that you and Bruce and family are well. Tell the man of genius that only a fat wimp would say something about beating a challenged competitor. Jerk.

lilsis - So glad to hear about you, Jim.

This thread is like a warm fire. It also smells of baking. Thanks
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Post Nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by kate

I got a strange story to tell
    So, this guy is making conversation about the croquet thing while we stand on the sidelines of the soccer game, and it's kind of raining and I'm only half paying attention. And I say, "hey, are you the one who knocked Bruce out last year?"
    And he says, "If you can't knock Bruce out, you're not really trying."
    We move on, but here I am 10 hours later, still pissed off and still wanting to make it right in my head.
    When I try projecting myself into this anecdote I have one major problem: nuances. Without hearing the tone in which the offending party delivered his response it's impossible to know just what he was trying to convey. If his tone was neutral or innocently emphatic he most likely was simply stating something with no derrogatory onus attached. There is nothing of looking down on scis in stating the obvious; that a player with a major physical handicap is relatively easy to defeat. That being the case, taking personal offense and allowing it to hurt you is not indicated.

Was he being an ass? Only you can know that by the nuances of what passed between you.

These comments are not meant to be hurtful or insensitive. If I felt as you have indicated you did, I believe the perspective offered might be helpful in putting the incident behind me.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think