Page 91 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

You're one brick shy of a load
    you aren't operating with a full deck
    you're out to sea without a rudder or a sail
    you're not the sharpest tool in the shed
    you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer
    you're not the brightest bulb in the box
    You don't have both oars in the water
    You are a couple sandwiches shy of a picnic
    You are a few beers short of a six pack
    You are a few beans short of a burrito
    You have few too many lights out on your Christmas tree
    You have had a few too many tackles without a helmet
    The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead.
    It's hard to believe you beat 100,000 other sperm.
    Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor
    you're one fry short of a Happy Meal.
    You are playing a guitar with no strings.
    The gates are down, and the lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming.
    Your elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

It's been a busy Summer I guess .....

.. or should I say "life" ..... the Sanctuary has been so quiet I thought I'd just take a minute to say Hey and remind everyone to remember to breathe. I've been holding my breath a time or two myself in the past few months .... Bill's belly is finally almost completely healed and at the moment all he's had to contend with is his ostomy equipment malfunctioning .... as Rosann Rosanna Dann would say " it's always something ..." .... he looks so tired somedays I think he deserves an Oscar for what he tolerates and makes the best of .... he was such a big strong man pre injury and it appears as though all that strength was redirected to his mind to help him face yet another day and not let it get him down ... not that he isn't physically strong anymore .. he certainly is to a degree but alot of his energy is used up healing all the other complications this stupid injury has brought with it .... he has set an amazing example for our children ...

We are moving Julie our oldest daughter into the city to start university in Sept. and I am running the gamut of emotions at the prospect of it ..... she has been my sounding board and supporter over the last few years .. I'm so happy and excited for her but I will really miss her ..... she even has a part time job lined up already .. I'm so proud of her ...

I hope you are all well and staying strong ..... where or where did the Summer go ..

Obieone
    One more thing .... sure wish we could win the lottery ... anyone know the secret to the lucky numbers ..
    No make that two more things .... I just went back and read some of where we've all been and gone .. we've all been through alot .... remember last summer Vicky???? (how is Bri doing) and now here we are a year later .. you guys are amazing thanks so much for sharing your lives l ....
    Last edited by Obieone; 08-18-2005 at 11:53 AM.

No make that two more things .... I just went back and read some of where we've all been and gone .. we've all been through alot .... remember last summer Vicky???? (how is Bri doing) and now here we are a year later .. you guys are amazing thanks so much for sharing your lives l ....[/QUOTE]

Hey Obie!
    We moved Brianna back last weekend; classes start today, and she is pumped up and ready to go! Let a mother brag for a minute:
    ( I'm quoting the press release here) :

"The National Society of Collegiate Scholars welcomes new member Brianna M. L. [bit of privacy]. NSCS is a highly selective, national, non-profit honors organization. Membership is a symbol of outstanding academic achievement, and a doorway to jobs, scholarships, service opportunities and a unique community of scholars...NSCS currently has 375,000 members and 205 college chapters across the country. Membership is by invitation only, based on grade point average." How cool is this?? I'm so proud of her..on so many levels. Okay..bragging done for today!

Glad to hear Bill is healing...finally!! You all have been through it. Tell Julie I said go get 'em!! She'll do fine Mom. It's hard, though, isn't it?

Stay well all...and check in!!
    Vicky

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    ~Philo of Alexandria

Red face

Congrats Obie and Vicky on raising such great kids! I'm sure your girls are pretty proud of their moms too!

Glad to hear Bill's belly is almost healed Obie. I know that's a long awaited relief! Sorry about the equipment malfunction.

Today I had to speak with someone at the bank over a matter. It went something like this--I called the number, luckily got Margaret. She's nice and has a brain. I've talked to her before. But, she wasn't who I needed to speak with, so she transferred me to Tonya, who transferred me to Sandra, who said she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Sandra transferred me to Nathan,who transferred me to ????, I don't know, because after 10 minutes on hold I hung up. I called back and got Margaret again--yeah!! --I told her what happened, she said she'd call the person I needed to talk to and stay on the line with me, but next thing I know I've been transferred to Richard, who transferred me to Lee, who doesn't even work at my bank, how'd that happen? Must be in the same building or something. But, Lee told me that this has happened enough, that she knew how to get me back to where I needed to be---whew---thanks Lee! Lee transferred me to Erica who said she could help me, but when she went to gather some info and put me on hold, after a few minutes the line went dead! I called back and got Nathan again, who transferred me to Tonya again, who transferred me to Holly---who said, Hang on, I'll transfer you to Erica! And I got Erica and she was nice and she helped me.

And that was just 45 minutes or so of my day. I need a bigger nerve pill---like one the size of my butt, which is getting bigger by the day thanks to my desk job and no time to do anything but work, care, and sleep! Today I had to wear two back braces to work, cause my back's bothering me, and I had them pulled so tight I could barely breathe and even that didn't make me look skinny! Not that I was trying to---I don't even care anymore. Or do I, and I'm just too tired to care, that I care?

You guys are all sweet and great.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Wm .......
    ...... I work in a bank ..... its so true ...... I'm sorry .... if I owned a bank I wouldn't make a nickle .....

Obieone

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    Wm .......
    ...... I work in a bank ..... its so true ...... I'm sorry .... if I owned a bank I wouldn't make a nickle .....

Obieone

LOL!! Thanks Obie! I know what you mean--I work for a government agency and I can understand why folks get upset with us. Everything is just too big these days! Even those of us who actually care about our jobs and the people we serve often have our efforts rendered null and void by either the morons we work with or "The Man".

Smile Hello out there!!

Just thought I'd bump up the Journal to see if there was any newbies out there willing to join the discussion which has sort of ... well .... petered out to say the least! I know you're out there .... we'd love to here about your holiday (or non-holiday) plans and day to day events .... appears as though everyone has buried the pipe and is hiding behind those damn rocks again ..... Maybe we should rename The Sanctuary (Caregiving) Whoville ..... you know .. like the book ... "we are here... we are here ... WE ARE HERE" !!!! ... gotta make some noise if you want people to know you are .... well ... here !!

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 12-09-2005 at 12:26 AM.

Yep, it does seem to have petered out. Hope it's not because everyone is too burned out, tired, sick or whatever to visit!

Well, I'm not new, but I'll add my two Caregiving cents to the this pot again!

I'm really, really frustrated after reading about rerouting nerve connections (stylin moe's thread in Cure) and how the first one was done in 1912! It seems that something that has been around almost 100 years should be perfected and commonly done now! But, only a few scientists seem to have had any interest in this. And now, the most recent doctors who do/have done this are not in the USA. Go figure!

Who do I yell at? I want this in the USA and I want it NOW. And approved. Not waiting for years to be approved.

You know, I kick myself every day for having hope for a cure. I had just about given up thinking there would be one in MY relative's lifetime, or one that HE could benefit from, when I read this article and it seems like such a relatively simple solution. And actually proven that it does work to degrees! So, it gives me hope again, which I'm kicking myself for again. I'm really tired of hoping and hurting and watching people I love struggle.

On a happy note though--it's FRIDAY!!!

Well, I just started reading the Journal a few days ago and don't mind jumping in when I have a few minutes to be here. I'm Jake's mom and his dad and I have had him home for about 6 months now, and everything is just beginning to feel like a home-based routine.

Jake is 2 1/2 years post rollover, C5/C6 and I have yet to understand complete/incomplete, but I think he's incomplete, with a tbi (anoxic) and decerebrate arm contractures, so basically requires total assistant so far. He has a trach and nighttime vent support, and is still trying to develop tolerance and...oh, sorry. I can't think of the word I want. I think I'm too tired to write at the moment--and Jake's vent is high-pressuring, so it's probably time to get him up and turn it off for the day. The night nurse will be going home in a little while, so I'll come back to this when I have more time.

Later--Tana

I just found the Journal. A short intro - our daughter Trisha sustained an L1 incomplete, crushed left shoulder and closed head frontal lobe brain injury in March 2005. She has since had three surgeries in her spine, ending up with rods, and a had her left shoulder replaced with a prosthesis which is partially fused. She went to Touro rehab shortly after the accident, but did not get much out of it because of the ongoing medical complications. She is now pretty stable medically and her main daily obstacle to improving is incessant neuropathic pain (burning) in her legs. We have tried several meds (neurontin, lyrica,nortryptylene) with no success. We are near Lafayette, LA and I have not found and real good SCI medical help here. My next move will be to try and get her in to TIRR for evaluation and help. Any feedback or advice?

Trisha is 21 years old and was attending college at the time of her accident. There are no support groups or activities in our area for wheelers and she has yet to make contact with any other para girls her age in the area. Some of her friends do visit, but none have accessible housing and Trisha's leg pain keeps her from getting out much. Hopefully we will find more social resources at TIRR and effective relief for this debilitating pain.

Thanks for listening - it helps so much to be able to talk to those who have been there - done that.