Page 90 of 137 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

This is as far off topic from SCI or Caregiving as you can get, so I'll apologize in advance. But when Kate said below that the lady at the hospital "wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer" it made me think. At one time I collected sayings with that reference and had about 200 of them. I'm just curious if anyone has any that might be unusual. One of my favorites is "one sandwich short of a picnic".

WM, watching races makes me so homesick. But, it's in my blood, I can't help it. LOL

When I moved here, I still had my WV plates on my car. I was driving through town and the car behind me was flashing lights/honking horn. I pulled over and cracked my window. I thought I had a flat or something. This skinny kid ran up to the side of my car and said...

"Tawk fer me!!" OMG, I 'bout died. I said, "what you want me to say?" and this big grin broke out his face and he just kept thankin me! As it turned out, he was from Buckhannon and was seriously homesick. We ended up standing there talking in the parking lot for about two hours.

My husband said that he loves to listen to my accent because it sounds like a song. It's not as bad as it used to be. (Being a kindergarten teacher with one of the worst accents in the state, I had to go to a speech therapist to fix it. I can't teach kids how to say letters/words if I can't say them correctly.) When I'm tired or talk to folks back home, it comes back on as thick as ever.

Nothing wrong with being a hick. I wear that proudly. I can't help but laugh at people's ignorance. They assume that I am so stupid since I'm a female with a southern accent and I'm blonde. So, they talk slow and childish to me. I guess the chair is going to exaserbate that. Morons.

Jadis,

Where in WV did you grow up? My husband and I bought our German Shepherd pups from a breeder in Buckhannon...what a small world! My daughter (T11 complete) goes to Marshall and is living on her own [ ] in an apartment in Huntington. So while I used to be a caregiver, I think I'm more like just "Mom" at this point. God, that made me tear up...there were times when I never thought I'd say that!!
    We live in Pocahontas County...

Vicky

I'm inspired by all this talk of the south to pass along something my buddy Lola sent me the other day:

Not to be outdone by Ebonics in California, the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools is requesting billions of federal dollars to teach "Y'allbonics" in all classrooms south of the Mason-Dixon line. Included here are some samples of "Y'allbonics." If you do not understand any of them, contact a Southerner for an explanation.

HEIDI: (noun) Greeting.

HIRE YEW: (complete sentence) Remainder of
    greeting. Usage: "Heidi, hire yew?"

BARD: (verb) Past tense of the infinitive "to borrow." Usage: "My brother bard my pickup truck."

JAWJUH: (noun) The state north of Florida. Capital is Lanner. Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck."

BAMMER: (noun) The state west of Jawjuh. Capital is Berminhayum. Usage: "A tornader jes went through Bammer an' left $20,000,000 in improvements."

MUNTS: (noun) A calendar division.
    Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts."

THANK: (verb) Cognitive process. Usage: "Ah thank ah'll have a Coke."

RANCH: (noun) A tool used for tight'nin' bolts. Usage: "I thank I leff my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts ago."

ALL: (noun) A petroleum-based lubricant.
    Usage: "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

FAR: (noun) A conflagration. Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh don't change the all in my pickup truck, that thing's gonna catch far."

TAR: (noun) A rubber wheel. Usage: "I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh don't git a flat tar in my pickup truck."

TIRE: (noun) A tall monument. Usage: "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, Ah sure hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Pars sometime."

RETARD: (verb) To stop working. Usage: "My grampaw retard at age 65."

FARN: (adjective) Not domestic. Usage: "I cuddint unnerstand a wurd he sed must be from some farn country."

DID: (adjective) Not alive. Usage: "He's did,
    Jim."

ARE: (noun) A colorless, odorless gas; oxygen.
    Usage: "He cain't breathe give 'im some ARE!"

BOB WAR: (noun) A sharp, twisted cable.
    Usage: "Boy, stay away from that bob war
    fence."

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain

OMG! Kate that is so funny! And true! OMG it's so true! I understood every word without even reading the definitions! I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
    Maya Angelou

One of my favorites is "one sandwich short of a picnic".
    Martha if you had not ASKED I could have probably told you a thousand of these, but since you did, my mind, of course, immediately went blank! I'll let you know if I remember any.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
    Maya Angelou

SCI Mom -- Lower Kincheloe is where i grew up. Then I moved to town in West Milford. I bout had heart failure when I went to college Even Kalispell Montana is bigger than any place I've lived. (Kali is the 4th largest town in MT, with 13000 people.) I know what you mean about the caregiving. It puts an extra layer on the kiddies leaving the nest. I watch my husband struggle between his fear of me getting hurt and my natural need to be independent. I told him he acted like a superjealous husband - he didn't like that too much. I can drive around town by myself ok, but I am not to leave town with anyone but him. Makes him panic. I want to go to Missoula with some friends and he's not allowing it. He's afraid something will happen to me. At least he's not worried about infidelity on my part.

Kate, the accent came back just reading that LMAO!! btw, I don't say window, I say WEENduh. As in, "After u worsh those deeshis, make sure to clean the weenduhs."

My favorite:
    "slipperier than deerguts on a doornail"
    Deb

Kate - that's hilarious! That's just what it sounds like.

from one Northwesterner to another! (Victoria)

Darlene

Kate, I almost wet myself. As I was reading those, I was mentally doing it in my brother's voice. Hysterical.