Page 85 of 137 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495135 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Obi, so good to hear Bill is home. I hope this time the problem is solved for good! As to the skin sloughing -- tell him all the rich women and movie stars pay a fortune to go to spas to have that done!

Obieone ~ glad to hear your hubby is home and things are going well.

Is it as hot in Manitoba right now as it is in Ontario ~ my part of Ontario anyway? I feel like I could loose a couple layers of skin just standing outside these days. Thank goodness for air conditioning?

Hey everyone, I read something in a post (I'm sure you know the one I mean) about us caregivers just been complainers and I think the term was take your "freaking cry-baby asses to the caregivers forum and get someone to hold your hand."

ooouuuchhh! Is that the way we're thought of? I feel a little odd posting in the other topics now.

I know that SCI hasn't changed my life as much as my husbands, but I feel like it has affected every aspect of my/our life. I live and breathe what's happening with my husband every minute of the day, but when I feel exhausted/cranky I try to remember how he must feel having someone do just about everything for him.

I come here mostly to try and find SCI info and figure out how long we have to hang on until a cure is found, also to remind myself that there are other people in the same position. It's nice to feel that connection.

I'd like to think we're all on the same team.

When someone says something crappy like that comment shelley is referring to, I consider the source and that usually makes me feel better!

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."
    Maya Angelou

Shelley, please feel free to post whatever you want wherever you want. Since the inception of this site, certain members have taken potshots at the Caregiver's Forum. I truly don't understand why since virtually every SCI'd person in the world has had a caregiver at one time or another or continues to have one. Perhaps we're just a cheap or easy target for the anger they feel in their lives in general and feel for SCI in particular. Despite the fact that it has changed our lives dramatically in ways no one but another caregiver or SCI person can understand, some of these folks want to play the "I've got it worse than you" game. However, you will note there are a number of wonderful people who always have kind things to say about us caregivers (forgive me for continuing to include myself -- I'm still not ready to let go) including some of the moderators like Dogger and Obed to name but a couple.

So please, don't fail to post simply because a bully or two is out there. If you do, then they win!

*poking head in....*

just wanna say that it is good to see you post martha. hope you are well

I've said before, how we, the SCI'd person, can get very self-consumed and take for granted the sacrifices made by so many family and loved-ones who are care-givers to help make our lives a bit more bearable. We don't really have any choice but to deal with our situation. Caregivers DO have a choice, and many choose to make our life their life. This is a burden they choose to take on because they love and care. If it wasn't hard sometimes... lotsa times... I'd question their sanity

Ditto what Martha said Shelley (she almost always hits the nail on the head) ....never feel intimidated by comments like Kap's (this is for you Kap )... I used to have pretty thin skin about this stuff myself but I guess over the years I've toughened up and have come to realize my own worth .... sci happens to the "whole family" not just the individual and each of us copes in our own unique way ... one of the best coping skills we have as Caregivers is to come here vent, laugh, "cry" (pass the pipe or the ice cream as the case may be ) whatever it takes ... I choose to believe people often come across not the way they intend in the heat of the coversation in a thread like the one you refered to ... just call us collateral damage ... we know better don't we ...

Obieone
    We help some see the other side ... this I know!!!

Thanks Chick, I'm doing well. I hope life is being good to you.

Thanks, Obi, I wish it was true!

Shelley, as you can readily see, Chick is another of the "good ones". They really do exist. Don't let the odd rotten apple spoil the barrel for you. Besides, if you ever do post something in another forum and feel you're being unjustly attacked for it, you'll be amazed at how fast the cavalry will come to your rescue. I promise that!

Shelley, I know how you feel. But WM's right...consider the source! This is our safe haven.

Chick...you are a smart, gracious young woman. We don't hear from you often enough!

Martha...rock on....

Obie...you have been through it, haven't you??
    I'm proud of how you keep going...I swear there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Vicky

Thanks everybody ~ I know there are lots of great people on this site ~ on both sides of the SCI fence.

Oh and I'll have chocolate sauce on that ice cream please (***and maybe a little whip cream too***)

Shelley,
    It is sad that we are made to feel odd for participation in some threads, since we were put into our situations involuntarily also. I also feel funny about posting sometimes, you aren't alone, the manager of this site once inferred I stick to Caregivers. Sometimes it gets really lonely in our house, even with our activities, outings, etc. Seems that many friends put you in a new catagory and getting out is not as spontaneous. I have come to absolutely hate any phrase that resembles "Oh I don't know how you do it" or "you are really something" in reference to my caregiving--it just seems to distance you from them. When, really, after getting organized it's not a big deal. It's like we can't belong to either cliche, like freaking high school! I just try to stay in friendly threads here. Shaun's humor, Chick's intelligence,and other's insights, KDL's advice, Cure news makes it worthwhile to me. I'm not expressing it very well but stay and keep us company. Debra