Page 75 of 137 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485125 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Vicky, that is so great to hear. One of these days when you have time, you should go back through this thread and read your own voice a year or so ago. It's proof positive that you're strong and smart and able to make sh*t happen! This is why I love journals. Tell Bri we're all proud of her, too.

Kate~

Thank you! That was sweet of you, and seemed to be what I needed to hear (and do)!

This coming weekend is THE big move; this time when I drive down, I'll be leaving Brianna in her very own apartment.

Even though the line is sometimes blurry, there are differences between being a caregiver and just being a mom. I feel as though I've become "just" a mom again, and it's a wonderful feeling!! I worry about her, but I can't say that I wouldn't worry if she were AB. I'm just going to keep taking deep breaths, and smile encouragingly.

This site has given me some amazing gifts. I've "met" some wonderful people with whom I can relate in ways no one else understands; the people here have saved my sanity on more than one occasion; I've learned more than I ever thought I would about The Lovely World of SCI. (Yes, that was sarcasm). Not to mention I met THE most wonderful man through this message board!

I never expected my life to change so much, in so many ways when I got that phone call on March 31, 1999. What a wild, strange journey it has been!

Okay...more after Bri's officially out of the house!

Vicky

July 22 is our childrens birthday. Alison is 21 and Chris 19, wow, it is hard to believe sometimes. Dave told us at dinner tonight that his new PT is strongly encouraging him to walk (using his walker) on a daily basis to get stronger. He (PT) believes Dave (hubby) should be able to get around using a walker on a regular basis, woah, I am stunned. Will keep you posted if we progress in this direction. Night all. Happy Happy!

WE DID IT!!!

I left Brianna's apartment this morning, after four grueling days of moving boxes, furniture...and SHOPPING!! Sheesh...it takes a lot of stuff to set up housekeeping! I had forgotten that...

But it's official! She is living in her very own apartment. I practiced all the way home:
    "My daughter doesn't live with me; she's away at college."

Wow. It's a four-hour drive, so I'm a little punchy and starving...but it's all good. She is SOOOO happy and excited, which made it that much easier for me to leave her there!

This is what it's all about, from day one...raising an independent person. The only small disappointment was her new shower bench hasn't arrived yet. But hey..in the big scheme of things...everything went smoothly!

Ahhh....now, a bubble bath....

Vicky

Vicky,
    I have goosebumps thinking back several years to our conversation about college. You both did it! and you did it together! That is powerful...you are both awesome!!!!! Now relish in this accomplishment and keep us posted about your progress. ((((HUGS)))))
    Kath

A hearty congratulations Vicky!

My mom's words echo constantly: "give them roots and give them wings".

She has the roots, now she's getting her wings. Very

Vicky ..... ! You have all my respect ... as a Mother .... letting go is not easy and in the case of Bri ... well ... it brings tears to my eyes .... what an accomplishment .... what an event .... the light is simply bursting forth around you both ... we can feel it here at the "Sanctuary" ..... revel in the moment you deserve every nanosecond .....

Obieone
    P.S. God ... I'm so happy we have these kinds of moments to share!!!

Helllooo out there ....

Thought I'd bump this thread up since its been awhile since my last post ..... since all our last posts and because its Labour Day (and windy and cold of course) I have a minute or two to catch up with you folks!!!

Well ... its been quite a Summer! It began with my second oldest,Julie, graduating high school then off to the Calgary Stampede and then dance school for a few weeks .... it was awfully quiet around here most of July ....Laure-Jane went to Camp the first week in Aug and had a big old time inspite of the weather ....I took a few weeks off work and she and I camped for a few days as well ... it was so much fun and we had the best weather of the whole summer those days so I guess we've been good! Other than that the weather has been asbsolutely terrible very cool and wet so I'm already looking froward to next Spring so we can try again ! I suppose we should be thankful we don't have to endure the Hurricane season ....... (just -30c in Jan ) Kat infortunately has had a tough Summer this year - one of her best friends committed suicide about mid-Aug! We seem to have had a "cluster" of attempts in our area this past year of kids all around the same age ... has anyone had any experience with this phenomena ?? Right around the same time another young boy 18 was killed in a car accident (alcohol related he was passed out on the road and some of his friends ran over him ...they were out looking for him because he decided to "walk" home but it was a foggy night and they didn't see him) .... both kids were close to our family ..... it has been an emotional rollercoaster for us all .... On the other side of all this sadness Kat did get her drivers licence and her Bronze Cross in swimming so she will be able to lifegaurd at our town pool next summer!! They have all done alot of growing up this year ....

Bill is still getting homecare for his belly wound and has been feeling stronger but the dressing change thing is getting real old and the wound simply won't close so we just don't know where to go from here!! He is a very patient man ... a bag to poop in, a bag to pee in, a wheelchair to get around in and back pain that seems to be getting worse again - I don't know how he stays sane .... I don't know how we all stay sane ..... We just keep placing one foot/wheel ahead of the other and plod forward reciting the Serenity prayer .... and of course maybe having the odd glass of chardonnay from time to time ..... then sometime I simply look for that old rock to hide under (move over Jackie) pipe in hand ) .... and always .. there's our "Sanctuary" !!

Stay well everyone ... love to here how its all going with you !!!! How is Bri getting on Vicky?? How's the "kennel club" doing Martha??

Obieone

[This message was edited by Obieone on 09-06-04 at 02:49 PM.]

Obieone, I hope it is okay to post to this thread. I wasn't sure if it was a "private group."

Reading about the tragic suicide sounds all too familiar. There have been four teen suicides in the past 14 months, as well as several attempts in a small community ten miles from where I live. Three were students from the middle school, and one was a high school senior. Even a teacher at the middle school committed suicide. The school district applied for and received grant funding for a social worker and psychologist to work on the problem. The social worker is a friend of mine, and she said they are baffled by these young people's deaths. Teen suicide has been a growing social concern, but at least in this one community, is extremely alarming. I hope that they are able to put an effective intervention program together. It is just so darn sad for all concerned.

You and your family have had quite a lot to deal with this summer. I hope the fall brings happier times!

[This message was edited by LFC on 09-06-04 at 07:50 PM.]

No no no LFC this is not a "private group" at all ..... just the Caregiving forum one of the kinder/gentler forums at CC . We share a whole host of info here .... thanks so much for responding .....

This suicide cluster thing is un-nerving .... wow .... with all our family has been through suicide has been in the back of my mind always with my teens .... I thought we had weathered the storm but now I'm not so sure ....my understanding is that even though there may not be any direct corelation to the individuals involved the suicides "un-earth" deep seated feelings in people that might lie dormant otherwise and that's why these clusters occcur ...

Obieone