Page 70 of 137 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Can't sleep, still on that awful college schedule. Martha, any chance of resurrecting that deal? It still amazes me how many contracts fall through. I am learning how to do real estate closings right now; in addition to marketing for the company. We have quite a few offices in the Orlando area, if you need assistance with title work let me know.

My son just informed me he is going to work for his dad this summer. He is going to be a helper (heating and A/C contractor), good old fashioned sweat equity here, can't wait. Our daughter is going to wait tables at PF Changs (sp?). Should get real interesting around here with everyone on different schedules. Hope the dogs get fed, pilled and walked. The neighborhood kids stopped coming round to help cause I am seldom home during the day.

I was so glad to hear from you again, Martha, really missed you. Miss all the girls! I guess everyone has been as overwhelmed as me and so we seldom have time or the energy to say hello.

Wow, I hadn't realized how much I was missing our conversations. Thanks for bumping us on the head, Martha. I love your enthusiasm and grit. If you land in Florida anytime before the first of July, let me know . . . Bruce would love to meet you. His PT schedule is (of course) not exactly fulltime, and he's likely to be looking for things to do and people to meet. Let me know.

I just worked a shift at the local corporate coffee kingdom outlet. Ah, Starbuck's. My supervisor today was 19 years old. A tall, gorgeous thing named Tabitha--not too sure of herself but willing to fake it, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Favorite moment of the evening: She had given me a list of, like 90 things to do so we could close the store. I messed up and forgot one of them, which made her say under her breath, "Damn."

I can't get too invested in these scenarios, so I just apologized and kept working. Two minutes later, she's out in the lobby, mopping and whistling, "If I Only Had a Brain".

"Tabitha, are you trying to tell me something?"

Blank look, followed by an Aha moment. She burst out laughing, swearing that she ALWAYS whistles that tune when she does the floor.

"Uh huh, sure you do."

Then we started singing it . . . now I ask you, in what other circumstances could I be blessed with that much absurdity all at one time?

I'm almost 52 years old. I'm wearing a bright green apron. I'm polishing the knobs on an electric espresso-maker. I'm singing as loud as I can, "If I only had a brain!"

Hi, all -

Kate, you sound like me when hubbie goes away; the universe just seems to shift a little, doesn't it?

Martha - Charleston has some great real estate!

Kath - Hang a big sign on your front door that says 'Martha Stewart doesn't live here!' and only do the things necessary to keep the Health Dept. from your door! I remember one of those cicada invasions when I was a kid - it was like a horror movie, with those gross things just dropping out of trees and crunching underfoot!

I am in my element - Spring has sprung, and I'm planting and enjoying the beautiful flowers, along with my mini veggie garden in containers! I posted in Food that my tomatoes have blossoms already, but Martha2 trumped me and said hers had green tomatoes!

Martha - thanks for booting us all in the butt, and not forgetting our friendships here!

Love to ya all - Jackie

Jackie, you've made me soooo envious! I've lived on top of this dirtless oyster reef for so long I'm going nuts anticipating being able to actually grow things! That's one of the attractions to Florida -- long growing season and apparently even with a black thumb like mine things will still try to grow.

Kate, if I'm not there by July 1, I'll be in an asylum somewhere. Would love to meet Bruce and will definitely keep you posted.

Kath, it's kind of a convoluted story of how the house deal fell apart, but suffice it to say the attorney son of the 94 year old seller changed his mind on what he had advised mommy to do. He lives nearby and it may have had something to do with me saying how much the 6 dogs would love the place? But it was almost 4 acres so that shouldn't have been the problem. I really think he had sellers' remorse and decided to try for a higher sales price (which he got the following week dammit). Anyway, no offense to all of our wonderful attorneys on CC! The embarrassing part was that the old lady had designed and built the place herself about 8 years ago (yep when she was 86!) and was so sad at having to move into an assisted living center, albeit an extremely nice one. So, I sent her a note telling her how thrilled I was that she would sell me her house and how I would show it the same love she obviously had and that I would be honored if she would visit for lunch or tea sometime. Then a couple of days later I get the news that it's not a deal at all, accompanied by a very business-like typed letter (son typed, she signed I'm sure). How embarrassing!!!!!!! Must have beena mean old battleax after all.

Kate, you brought back memories of my stint last year when I took a second job as a Target Check-out Chick. Ugh! I was gracious about taking stupid orders from children, but when the 20 yr old security guard who probably didn't graduate high school and couldn't count to 15 told me she didn't like the way I counted change to the customer (in front of the customer), it was a little hard to swallow. I mean, how many ways can you count change anyway?????

It's so good to hear from y'all again -- I had really missed our conversations. Now where are Obieone and Vicky and the other missing ladies? And Cheesecake, how are you feeling? Worried about you lady.

Hey all~

How nice to hear from everyone...and Martha! What an adventure you have in front of you. Warm breezes on your face, and a strong wind at your back!

I've been busy with my job; the VISTA position will turn into a full-time job with benefits around the end of May-beginning of June. We have a new software program to run circulation/cataloging functions, and I'm the only one who went to the full training sessions on it....so I get to train the staff before June 1. I've been spending time in Charleston; so far, three 3-day stints of training. I have one more stint the first week of May. (Jackie...MY Charleston, not yours! I would have called to visit if it had been yours!!)

Bri is still having some serious abdominal pain. We've been to a urologist, gynecologist, and next week is the neurologist. The good news is, all these docs are new, and she LOVES them!! The load off my shoulders, now that we have a GOOD urologist on board, is amazing.

She also had her first pressure sore; a tiny ring on her butt. She sat on the cap from a tube of lotion. It looked like someone branded her. But, after a week of staying off it as much as possible, it's virtually gone. Whew!! I'll tell you what, pressure sores scare the living CRAP out of me!!!

She's still planning on moving into her own apartment this summer and starting college in the fall...I'm refusing to think about it too much yet. She has a LOT of stuff!!

Keep the updates coming, ladies!!

It is probably crazy to bring this up again, but I so wish we could all meet sometime soon. You have become like old friends, you know the kind... you may not talk to or be seperated for a very long time, but when you see each other again it is as if you have never been apart. We have picked up this thread again so easily. I get warm and fuzzy imagining the "reunion".

Hi everyone!

I haven't been posting much because life at home has been behaving like a runaway train! It's nice to catch up with you all.

Bill is still in the hospital healing from his flap surgeries and for awhile it was one step forward two steps back however it finally appears we are really making some headway . It has been a slow and tedious journey consuming almost the best part of a year. Now we face the daunting process of his homecoming and reorganizing our household (once again) to reintegrate him into the midst of the ongoing complexities of our everyday life! Our oldest daughter Julie is graduating in June, Laure-Jane turns 10 and Kat turns 16 next week and I am facing some very scary financial decisions resulting from Bill's extended hospitalization!! It's been difficult trying to keep all the balls in the air and I 'm afraid I've dropped a few lately which includes my commitment to CC. I've mostly been lurking in the background just trying to keep up with everyone here and not contributing much!! Living in a rural area has drawbacks when it comes to financial considerations and I feel like we're drowning. If we don't do something to generate some income soon I'm not sure what we'll do!! I haven't wanted to burden Bill with these worries because there is very little he can do from his end and my main concern was his just getting well!! I work part time in a bank and there are very few prospects for full time work! I've often read your posts in awe of how you are all able to hold down full time jobs and stll take care of running your households, raise your families and take care of your significant others needs all at the same time (never mind your own) ! We are very fortunate to have giving families who would never see us homeless or hungry however I never imagined being in the position (at my age) becoming so beholding to so many people just to get by sometimes.

Sorry to be so doom and gloom but its where we're at at this moment in time! I'll try to remember your words Jackie "this too shall pass" .... its just been a little more difficult lately! Somedays I feel like a drunk waiting to hit bottom!

On the upside ..... it is Spring, my favourite time of year! That in itself makes life just a little more bearable and always offers a promise for hope!!

Stay well all!
    Obie

Obi, it's so good to hear from you and to hear that Bill is improving and the kids are doing well, though I'm sorry other news isn't so bright. The financial devastation is one more aspect of this horrid condition that many "outsiders" don't see or understand but many (most?) of us have been (are?) there. You get double-slammed with loss of income AND incredible bills related to the SCI. And just when we were at a point in life where we thought it was all together. It's so hard to have to worry about finances on top of everything else we have to deal with. Not to mention the additional strain and depression it puts on the SCI'd individual for feeling like they are a drain rather than a contributing partner. I guess I'm still venting here, but wanted you to know that we understand what you're going through. I just wish I could think of some way to help. With the internet such an integral part of everyone's life, can't we come up with something we can market from our different areas of the continent via internet? Ok, now I'm rambling and tilting at windmills. Guess I should concentrate on the real job while I still have it.

Obie, I am so sorry to learn all you are going through. It is daunting. Wish we could offer a solution...I am sure you are considering all avenues and options and will figure out something. We become expert problem solvers and darn if there isn't always one lurking. The financial issue is huge. I know how hard it is to ask for help, but ask away. Remember how glad you would be to provide aid to a friend, family member and even complete stranger, truly much easier to give than receive.

Thanks guys .... your kind words help more than you know!!

Obie