Page 65 of 137 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Kate-
    How exciting,and you're a new moderator to boot!
    Things with me and mine could always be worse. The bf finally made the appointment to see the Gastro Intestinal doctor. He goes in on March 2. The entire family has been down with a cold/flu/viral infection. No, I'm not kidding. As soon as one illness started to fade, the next one hit. I hope I don't jinx myself but, I think the string has finally come to an end.
    We are getting a MAD GRIP of SUNSHINE here in the Portland, OR area! YIPPPPEEEEEE. I was just about ready to go get on anti-depressants! Ugh, this winter has beaten me up pretty badly. Hey, it's over and the bulbs are puttin up shoots and so, I feel better by force of habit if nothing else.
    Take care all!
    SoulMate

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

I'm really glad to hear we aren't on the dark side of the moon anymore ..........

Kate..Starbucks and an almost book deal... I'm jealous If you want my advice though...uncross your fingers and toes but not your legs ...lol.. sorry it just sorta popped out!!

Be well all!!
    Obie

Oh brother.... I just read that back and I can't believe I said that....
    Must be the last vestages of the aforementioned "cabin fever" coming out....heheheeeeeheheheeeeeee

Well I guess it is time to post an update of some sorts. This week was the first full week of school attendence for my kids since December. Yeehaa. Cabin fever has over taken the house and normally easy going dispositions have become cranky.

My youngest turned 6 on Thursday and tonight we are celebrating the big day at home. He somehow thinks that 6 is a magical number and that he is "All grown up". I brought him home 6 years ago today, he was born on a Thursday and came home on Valentines Day which was a Saturday. It seems like esterday but at the same time it seems like ages ago.

After many fights with the insurance company, appeals, letters etc. my 11 yr old was approved for growth hormone therapy. I never thought I would see the day an 11 yr old danced over taking shots 6 days per week. This process is supposed to start in about a week. I am not sure how I will be able to draw meds with one hand but this is supposed to be a "needleless system".

The snow is almost melted but another storm is supposed to hit tomorrow...ugh. I hope they are wrong. I am tired of being couped up because it is so hard navigating the ice, snow, etc.

Wishing each of you a Happy Valentines Day. May the sun start shining sooon!

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Thanks for the news, Cheesecake. I remember those snowed-in winters all too well. Smell of wet wool and long, lead-sky afternoons of monopoly that always ended in tears.

We also have a child who needed growth hormone. She started taking it at age 9 and quit after six years; her predicted height at birth was 4'7". She's 5'2" now and I know she's glad for all the shots. When Bruce got hurt and all our family routines got shuffled, she learned to give them to herself, no problem.

When we started,I had to stick myself with that little needle before giving it to her, just so I could be sure I wasn't really hurting her . . . found out that if I did it right, I literally could not feel it.

The alternate delivery system was a "gun" thing that we found to be more trouble than it was worth . . . anyway--the stuff does work.

Kate~ My 11 year old would like to know how tall your daughter was at the start of the injections. He just doesn't get the projected height concept. He wants beginning and end numbers...this is too funny.

He REALLYwants to hear that it is a plus.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

[This message was edited by cheesecake on 02-14-04 at 11:25 PM.]

Okay, I've pulled out her old records . . . when she started taking the stuff (genotropin) she was 4'2" tall, and at the end of the first four months, she'd grown an inch and a half, which was almost as much as she'd grown in the whole YEAR before.

Another way to look at it--when she started, she was smaller than 98 out of 100 girls her age. Now, she's not the tallest girl around, but she's above the smallest third of them. And NO WAY would she have got there without the growth hormone. Good luck to him!

How great to hear from everyone! I was sorry to hear of Marm leaving the moderator position, but I think Kate will be an excellent new moderator! Lots of changes...

I've been busy, busy, busy...all in a good way. Brianna and I spent this past weekend looking at a possible apartment for her to move into...major disappointment! They slapped a bar on the shower wall and called it accessible! And this is a new building, built last summer. She couldn't turn around in either the bathroom or the kitchen. Just wheel in, turn sideways in your chair to do anything, and back out. And there was no way she could get close enough to the tub to transfer to a bench, even with help. So, the search goes on...

Okay, I'm off to work...hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day! We went to see "50 First Dates"...it was really cute!

Vicky

Vicky,

Good luck on the apartment search. When we moved it was such a pain to find an accessible place. Our first apartment in town was not at all accessible. My boyfriend couldnt turn around in the bathroom or the kitchen, either. As soon as we moved in we realized that we would need to move soon. We started looking and it took forever to find a place....we finally found a rental agency willing to work with us on any reasonable accomodations. It was great. Our place now is wonderful. There are still some things that need to be fixed in the bathroom, but still, its much better and they are willing to make the changes for us. Its great!

Things are pretty slow around here....I cant wait for the rain to end. I am about to go nuts from being inside all the time. Thats about it. I hope everyone is staying dry and warm...or at least trying

Scarlett

Sorry, man how I do ramble sometimes. Next I'll be talking to myself or some other manifestation of insanity.

[This message was edited by martha on 02-19-04 at 08:31 PM.]