Page 60 of 137 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Whew, that's alot of grass.

Hey, all, post your Superbowl goodies in the members forum here: link !

We just went out an bought a new bed - King size - woohoo! Now there's room for us and the animals! It's a neat sleigh bed with some carving in the woodwork. The damn sheets cost near as much as the bed!!

Hope everyone's staying warm!

Well - I'm bummed. Our city zoning board, along with the health dept., won't approve of my catering truck. So I'm back to square one. Maybe I can find a cheap (Hah!) little storefront to convert and meet their #($*&$ requirements.

Not a good day in the neighborhood.

I am just checking in. Sorry to hear about the zoning Marmalady, if it isn't one thing it is another! Rainy day here in Seattle, is anyone surprised But~it is a good day.

"We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

M'lady, that's lousy news! Is it that they won't approve of where you want to put it or they won't approve of you wheeling around town in it? That seems unreasonable. Don't know if this idea would work for you or not, but a friend of mine owns a very small restaurant. He has one of the best caterers in Houston using his kitchen and part of his space (the restaurant is in an old house) at the same time and it seems to work for both of them. She pays some rent and uses his liquor license for private parties and he gets some extra publicity and sells her the liquor. Is there some possibility you could find a deal like that?

Good luck!

Well, it started with calling the business license office to see about licenses; when I explained what I wanted to do, they said, hmm, better check with the Health Dept. first; did that, talked with a total d**K, who had never even seen the kind of truck I was looking at (completely converted Ford F-350 van, complete kitchen inside, propane hookups, water and reservoir, ya da ya da); said I'd have to have a 'commisary' to do the washups in, as the truck couldn't carry enuf water; told him I was hooking the truck up to the house water supply, that all the cooking would be done in the truck on site at my house. THen - he said I had to talk to the zoning board - and it was those folks who put the complete nix on it; NO business in residential areas, under ANY circumstances (this is a very uptight town, with lots of tourist 'infringement', and I understand where they're coming from - sort of).

So I'm back to square one. Martha, that was a good idea, I'd love to know how your friend works that all out - I can't imagine a busy restaurant having a caterer underfoot.

I haven't given up - yet. I have one or two more ideas I'm hashing around.

In the meantime, we're having fun buying things for the house with our 'house money'!

Jackie, I did a cater job last fall and served at a church basement. I had NO idea how exrtensive some of these church kitchens are!!! They are already health dept checked, and up to code. Would they be willimg to 'rent' space/facilities? I'm not church-afilliated so I don't know if that would work. But I did salivate at their huge appliances, walk-ins, etc. Course you would still have to invest in something to 'keep' the food to jobsite. I sure hope you can work something out, cause I know it would make you happy. I have a vision of you whirling around a kitchen, with a grin, and serving the best food.....
    What have you gotten for the house, so far?
    Debra(feebly trying to get out from under my rock....)

Hi, Deb, Nice to hear from you - I had thought of the church or fire hall kitchen idea a while ago, and dismissed it; too many 'control' issues, schlepping things back and forth, etc. Right now I'm thinking of trying to find a small house to lease in a commercial district, redoing the kitchen (with the landlord's permission!), and going that route. A good friend of mine is a well known local artist; she's without studio space, and am thinking of seeing if she maybe wants to go in on this with me; part of the house could be her studio/gallery. We'll see. Right now, I'm just trying to get over the disappointment, and will put more energy into it next week when my head is clearer.

That is - unless you'd like to open a branch of the coffee shop here and let me manage it!

For the house - a new bed! King size - we'll never find each other! The head of the bed is like a 4-poster, with a great carving in the middle of the wood; the foot is sleigh-bed shaped. Delivery today! Some spiffy porch lights that look like lanterns and a storm door with etched glass -it's beeeeuuuuteeeefooool! Working on an area rug and coffee table for the LR.

The lantern I got in Knoxville? Hubbie loved it! And it looks so neat hanging and lit!

Jackie, sorry haven't been in touch, just a valley in the topography of emotions! Jim had a real close call and I naturally got down about it, god, the head injury and diabetes really compounds things.
    Anyway, that sounds like a great solution-gallery/kitchen-less complicated than sharing kitchen space. And think of the openings! Wine! Canapes! Tapas! Take a deep breath, take a virtual toke and know that I am rootin' for you.
    The bed sounds cool-will Pippin worm her way in? I have been weeding things out to have a garage sale this spring-many antiques and just stuff. Clothes to goodwill, books to library, extra medical supplies to the ones who need it. The library was glad to get a pick-up load(!) of books. I really want to get rid of the clutter.
    Going to get Jim a new hspital bed. He wants at least half rails and headboard for trapeze for helping with repositioning, any suggestions?
    I am so glad you came to visit, and I am hoping for big sales at the garage sale to finance a trip to Charleston, I will bring lots of coffee for you and veggies for Steven! Debra

EVERYBODY - You all have to go to lilsis' house when she has her yard sale - she has the most amazing things! Need some help with it, Deb? Maybe I could wangle another weekend away!

What happened to Jim? Is he okay? Give him and hubbie a hug from me!

Pippin and Gus are both all over the new bed - it's as big as a boat!

Re the catering, I'm putting out energy, just have to wait and see what the Universe has in store for me. Gawd - what AM I going to do when I grow up?