Page 6 of 137 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Russ,
    The good brakes on the turkey explains everything! Thanks for solving that mystery.

Hey, does your husky need companionship? I think this alpha foster dog is at least part husky and a real sweetheart if you don't put him indoors. lol. Or the other one is mostly chocolate lab and also a doll. Help! I have to find homes for these guys before I go insane. The good news is that the 3 dogs I'm keeping for friends over the holidays go home tomorrow! Never again! Having 4 left will seem like a breeze after having had 7 for the last 10 days.

Martha

I wish I could take him off your hands. But Steve would kill me if I brought another animal into our home:> )

I liked his personality better when he didn't know what was going on due to his brain injury. Now all of my wonderful ideas are shot down. Everything from selling the Jeep and buying a classic pickup and getting another dog.

I'll ask around though.

Russ Byrd

Russ, I know what you mean. Sometimes it's hard to tell the blessings from the curses. lol.

I've found another foster mother for the husky mix until a permanent home can be found. So I'm down to 3 until I can find a home for the choc. lab mix. If you do know of anyone, let me know. They really are great dogs.

And tomorrow's project (or today actually) is taking down the xmas tree and shampooing carpets again.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Year. May 2003 bring us all peace, harmony, contentment...and a cure would be nice too.

Have a safe one, all...

Vicky

Wishing you all Happy New Year!!!

... hopefully, all your wishes get to come true...

krajaxa

Happy New Year to all!

Dawn of the first day of the new year! Icky weather - foggy, wet, damp; hope this isn't a forebear for the rest of the year!

So - asked hubbie on a recent Home Depot trip to pick up some plastic bins for storing Christmas stuff; have used cardboard in the past, only to have the squirrely critters eat the pinecones and use the pretty fluffy cotton for nests, it was time to seal it off in that wonder creation, plastic! Soooo---he comes home with 3 bins that are big enough for me to take a bath in!!!! Does that mean I get to go out and buy all the Christmas 'sale' stuff to fill them up for next year?!

Martha - I have the perfect solution for you - rip up the carpet and put linoleum down! Seriously. Think about it.

Russ - Your comment touched a place in my heart, I know exactly what you mean -
    "I liked his personality better when he didn't know what was going on due to his brain injury. Now all of my wonderful ideas are shot down". Does Steve recognize that his negativity may be an actual part of the TBI? We've finally gotten Matt to realize that, and it's made him a little more open to discussion on his 'decisions'. Do you have TBI resources? Be glad to share some with you, if you'd like.

Vicky - Ditto your thoughts on the new year!

Bethany - Still waiting to hear about the flames and the stove!!

Kate - Isn't it great to just let go every once in a while and just throw things!!! I actually broke a cast iron skillet once!

Krajaxa - New Castle! I grew up in Pittsburgh - first in Avalon, then to 'Plum Borough' when it was brand new and just being developed. Haven't been back in years and years, tho.

Well, I need to get this day going! Is it football for everyone today? Jackie

Happy New Year

Recent developments indicate to me that 2003 is going to be the YEAR OF MARY..
    In addition I did entreat the Laundry Fairies to visit and bestow gifts of favor for the new year...and they BLEW ME OFF...all those piles are still down there....I think that while I sleep the floor opens up and dirty clothes pass in from another dimension...I don't remember buying that shirt......

KATE: thank you for helping out...we need to talk again soon!! You are gonna love the next chapter!!

Jackie: I am BACK ON TOP....enough said....

and by the way....well...never mind that now....I have a career to develop!

...and she lived happily ever after...

Jackie

I would welcome any brain injury resources you have. I did have several links before my computer crashed a while back, but I lost them.

I do hope Matt is doing well these days.

you wrote..

"Russ - Your comment touched a place in my heart, I know exactly what you mean - I liked his personality better when he didn't know what was going on due to his brain injury. Now all of my wonderful ideas are shot down". Does Steve recognize that his negativity may be an actual part of the TBI?"

I wish I could blame his negativity on the TBI, but he always had a pessimistic outlook. If anything, the brain injury has made him lighten up a little. But as he recovers more of his personality he seems to be developing his old negative aspects again. But it actually works for us in a weird way. I have always been the easygoing one.Even when times are very bad I always have had a very basic happiness to fall back on.But if left to my own devices, I would have a house full of huskies and a 1955 pickup (I love classic trucks) as my main vehicle. He was always the sensible one. The only way I have made up for my failings in these other areas since his injury is my deeply felt love for him and my commitment to him and his recovery.

Most of the time, he displays negative emotions only when talking about his sci. He says things like..." I wish I was a real man like I used to be ".
    I try to help by responding ..."Steve, you were never a real man even before the accident" But these words of comfort rarely seem to help.

Oh, I do have a question for the other caregivers here :> )

Do you find that because of your caregiving responsibilities you are a lot more careful with your own safety for fear of what they would do without you?

I ask this because I even hesitate to ride my horses or continue where I left off in learning to rollerblade. Maybe it is because I have recently started to fear that if something were to happen to me, Steve's future prospects for independence would be lessened. That even in this country our grip on freedom is only assured if we are not disabled and in need of assistance.

Russ Byrd

Wednesday, New Year's Day

We're having cabin fever here!!!! Sometimes too much time with the family feels like a sentence in a padded cell. And the rain is unabating, everything drenched. I walked Rocky today for a couple of miles and we both came in soggy as rats, only to find elder daughter dopey with boredom and frustration. Thank God I'm not 14, thank God I'm not 14, thank God I'm not 14! Is any other year more terrible?

Mary, you fine, foxy thing, I'm glad to hear your happy voice (or your sad one) anytime!

Been considering Russ' question about feeling like I can't get hurt or sick. I remember having that going VERY strongly in the beginning, like, knowing that even getting a cold would be a pretty big deal. I also read that caregivers are statistically more likely to develop cancer (how's that for cheery news??) supposedly just from stress. In my dark moments I imagine, oh sure, that's what's next, yup. My plain old life morphed into the story of Job, without the payoff at the ending.

But now I'm fatalistic. Like, there really seems to be no way to ensure my safety, or the girls', or his. He was the most cautious skier in the world, always carried the avalanche beeper, brought a shovel into the back country, wouldn't let the kids ski beyond their abilities, knew when to quit---a bit of a pain in the ass, to be blunt, about doing things right. An eagle scout. And he broke his freaking neck! Of course, I don't take unnecessary chances now, but I also don't dwell on what would happen to them without me. They'd survive, and thrive. I think.

Must go. The Monster Garage show is on, a not-to-be-missed episode about turning a limo into a firetruck!

See ya!