Page 58 of 137 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Martha, I wish you a safe journey!

Thank you Kate, that was lovely, reminds me to take a moment to see and enjoy the beauty around me. Martha, Mom is not scheduled for surgery until mid-February. My brother is going to call the Doc to find out if that is to give her bones time to heal. I am concerned about the quantity of pain meds she will need over time. They are absolutely necessary, but make her a bit wobbly. She hates not being able to drive and misses her home, but understands she cannot live alone right now. My brother is being so wonderful, in his new home less than a week, right before Christmas, his wife has the flu and they have three grade school age children and he insists mom stay with them. We are all trying to do our share, our children took mom to her doctors appointments while they have been off school and also take the lunch tour. I feel I am doing the least, but am doing what I can. I call alot while I am on the road between appointments. We are all still adjusting to my present work schedule.

I still have teenagers sleeping in various parts of the house. Our daughter claimed the basement with her friends all evening ( they all sleep over). Our son returned from their party about 1:00 am and brought an entourage back. They claimed the first floor, I think three are still asleep in his room. I do enjoy talking to these kids and outside of dealing with sleep deprevation I will miss them when they no longer come round. I keep telling myself that while trying to sleep and not worry about them. Selfishly I like knowing my children are home safe, but the flip side is the responsibility that comes with having their friends here in our care. Teenagers are not easy to care for cause they are invinceable.

Time to take down the tree and start the clean-up. Happy new Year all!

Kate~ Thanks for the beautiful poem, I have printed it out.
    KDK~ Isn't it amazing how teens spread out and how LONG they sleep? I have a couple here right now for the holidays. Love seeing them and hearing their insights on the world, also a built in babysitter! Yee Haa
    Martha~ Lurking again? Save journey home. Call or email any time, I know you still have alot ahead of you.
    Vickie~ I second your WTF, who was your shipper? I hope your parents package was insured. I am still scratching my head on that one.

First observation of the year~ 5 yr olds need much less sleep than 46 yr olds! I got to bed at 3:30, the youngest at 1 am. Sorry to report that we were staggering around (lack of sleep) at 8 am. UGH. Naps are on todays agenda.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Cheesecake, three are still sleeping... I did check to make sure they are breathing. Hubby is staying in bed today and I just finished 3 loads of laundry, cleaned the fridge and one bath (getting grumpy and resentful). Decided to leave the decorations up till the weekend so I can continue to enjoy them.

Cheesecake -- yep, still lurking. Probably will be for a long time. This "place" and all of you are too deeply embedded in me to be able to give it up.

Martha~ OMG, I expect you to always stay here on this site. My comment was about you being under your rock...Please keep posting and stick out your head more often

Lady, you started this thread over one year and 29 pages ago.....You will always belong here!

Welcome home.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Hello All and
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
    My sweet soul mate has returned home! I had to drive to PDX on the ONE RARE occasion that Portland has had SNOW! Good god it was something! I am not accustomed to snow on twisting turning hilly roads! I an old Kansas girl myself and I'm used to snow but, on nice straight FLAT ground thank you very much! Anyway, he is HOME! yay! He missed one flight in Dallas cause (LOL) he was stuck in the bathroom trying to have a normal b.m.
    Anyway, the flight people were so SWEET. They waved his 100.00 'missed my flight' fee and booked him FIRST CLASS to Portland. WhooooHOOOOO! He loved it and boy I can't think of anyone who deserved it more. His mama is doing much better. They said she should recover fully from the stroke. She is in the rehab unit right now getting her strength back. He calls every day and is dealing with the situation wonderfully.
    The new year was pretty great. Bf is home and my youngest filled the house up with his teenage buds. LOL. I've read the other posts about the teens here. They are SPOT ON.
    Kate- I love the poem! Gave me 'goose bumps!' I just realised the irony of that particular statement! ROFL! My bf and I have always waited for 'goose bumps' to tell us if the song we are working on is going 'right'. Anyway, I printed it out as well. Thanks!
    Well, I'm busy at work and I'm still planning the last few touches of my 'redecorating' project at home. Have a great week end and Thanks to all.
    love,
    SoulMate

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

Soulmate - it's wonderful to read such an upbeat post from you! So glad everything's working out!

~It's so good to hear from everyone~

We had a quiet New Year's Eve at home, and then spent New Year's Day seeing ROTK. Wow! Kate, I kept your thoughts about Sam in my mind; you are so right. I kept getting tear-eyed at all the wrong places!! For instance, do you remember the scene where the four hobbits, now back in the Shire after unimaginable adventures, are sitting in the pub? They're quiet, full of wisdom and knowledge, sadness and quiet strength. They've seen things that the others around them have no concept of...life just goes on as usual in the Shire. The hobbits don't know how close to the edge they've been; but Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin know. WE know. Anyone touched by SCI knows...

Soulmate, so glad to hear things are good right now! Man, I was ready to come help you wring necks!!! Grrrr....

Kath, your poor mom! The good news I can give you is that hip replacement surgery has come a long way in a short time! My mom had her first hip done about 7 or 8 years ago. Yowza. I was coming over to her house early in the morning, helping her out, and checking on her throughout the day. It was major, and quite a recovery period. She had her other hip done this past July...OMG, it was night and day. No huge incision, much shorter recovery time..everything was MUCH better. Now she has to have both knees done (the woman has NO cartilege in her body anymore!) but that's down the road a bit.

Cheesecake: Okay, I called the post office, and here's the story on my WTF Christmas package: I mailed it parcel post, via the US Post Office! But, the mail truck got into a horrible car accident in Covington, VA. Mail was strewn everywhere, some of it damaged beyond salvation. The driver was killed. They tried to piece packages together as best they could....hence, the items I never heard of...

The snow is all gone, and I'm off to do some shopping before the predicted rain hits. Tomorrow is Bri's birthday...she'll be 23~how did THIS happen??

Vicky, who swears she is only 34...

Vicky, thanks for the encouragement... mom's other hip was done 9 years ago, huge ordeal, as you say. Good to know it is improving. That is a very sad story about the delivery person, our modern day santas are at risk. Put's a different light on things. Too bad they didn't try to call to find out what was in your package, better late arriving than so messed up. Glad someones else is getting younger daily. Happy B-day to Bri.