Page 57 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Kath, I'm soooo jealous of you having your brother 1/2 mile away! If mine was that close, the poor thing would probably divorce me as a sister since I'd be calling on him for help so often. He truly is my lifeline and his wife has been so sweet to loan him to me so often.

It sounds like despite some problems here and there, that everyone enjoyed a good Christmas. I'm so glad to hear that. It's such a special, magical time of year and so filled with hope. (at least usually).

I've been sitting on the deck this morning, drinking coffee, reflecting and watching the sun rise and the birds start on their daily treks. There is a small island a few hundred yards off of the small island where I live and it is a nesting area for an incredible variety of birds. Maybe now I'll finally take the time to get a book so I can identify them officially. We do have beautiful roseatte spoonbills, pelicans, all sorts of egrets and herons and skimmers and things I can't name. It's a beautiful site early morning and late evening when they are enroute to or from the island.

Jackie, wish I could come home via S.C. next week but someday I just might surprise you! And on that note, I have a little-used guest room for anyone who wants to breath some salt air for a change! You just have to be a dog lover. Or least dog tolerant.

Martha, you sound peaceful. I am glad. A hug for the new year to ya!

Martha, I wish I could take you up on that offer, but I have had to borrow vacation time since starting this new job. My husband enjoyed teasing me while we were on our family vaction over Thanksgiving about my wish to always stay on the beach when vacationing. Well, we couldn't get any closer than right on the water - the sound of the waves, smell of salty air and the sight of the sun and moon on the horizon was a real treat for me. Splurging on a balcony room was the best. I truely do not know when we will be able to vacation again as a family, so we will teasure that time together. Yep, Martha brothers are the best, my sisters hubby is too and they are only 3 miles away. Maybe you could move closer to family as we did. It has been wonderful for all of us. Thinking of you often and hope you are feeling all right with your changing world.

Marmalady, if we all ever get together we must designate you as chief cook...I'll be glad to assist and maybe learn a bit. I get hungry whenever I read your posts. Christmas must have been special having everyone together.

I must get back to bill paying and figuring out our latest onslaught of messed up medical bills. All the best, Kath

Hi All-
    I'm glad to hear that most of us have had a good christmas! Kate, I took my son to LOTR 'Return of the King' too. Sam touched me as well. What a BEAUTIFUL movie. God, I haven't been in a theater in so long it was really a shock. It was just my son and I this christmas because, my bf went back home to Louisianna for the holiday. It's a good time to try to catch his whole family in one place. Since we're 2500 miles away from them... I couldn't complain much. It turns out that the day after Christmas my bf heard his mother struggling in her room, and when he went to check on her she was in pretty bad shape. They think she had a small stroke. Poor thing! I mean both her and my bf. He was pretty shook up but, managed to get emergency services to her house pretty quick. It's just such a blessing he was there 'cause, otherwise she would have been alone for god knows how long! Unfortunately, some narrow minded members of the family tried to blame my bf for her stroke! As if his being there caused her stress and resulted in this terrible outcome. I'm so pissed off right now. I can hardly wait for him to come home where we love him and wouldn't say STUPID shit like that. I was floored to hear what they said, and I'm doing everything I can NOT to pick up the phone and tell those folks what I think they should do with their opinion. It's just beyond indecent. Of course, the bf feels just horrible. They wouldn't even take him to the fricking hospital the evening it happened. Had him sit at her house by himself. grrrr. He wants to stay and be there with his mom, and be sure she is well. While the rest of the fucking jackylls insist that he leave and are just going to torment BOTH of them if he doesn't. Which is something neither of them are in any shape to put up with. She is having some trouble with her right hand and my bf says her left cheek doesn't turn up all the way when she smiles. He finally got to see her last night. My heart is just breaking for them both. Like I said, I'm just waiting for him to get home here where it's safe to be a human being. Then, I'm not sure what I want to do. Personally, anything less than giving them all a good swift ass kicking isn't going to make me feel any better. grrrrrr. Thanks for listening!
    Looking forward to a better brighter new year for all of us.
    SoulMate

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

Kath - I would be honored to cook for all of you!

Lass - Ain't families grand? I can't imagine your frustration at not being there for support - I think I'd be on a plane! Give him a virtual hug from me, and get him back home as soon as you can!

Martha~ I hear that you are in God's Waiting Room (Florida). Lady you are too funny. Hope the visit is going well and bringing you relaxation.

It is almost midnight and my 5 year old is still running strong. Tomorrow I will be paying the price of letting him stay up.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

mistake! start over!

[This message was edited by kate on 01-01-04 at 12:22 AM.]

Jackie, Kath, Bernadette, Soulmate, Debra, Nanda, Martha, ALL of you--

Here's a poem for the new year:

Wild Geese

You do not have to be good.
    You do not have to walk on your knees
    for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body
    love what it loves.
    Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
    Meanwhile the world goes on.
    Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
    are moving across the landscapes,
    over the prairies and the deep trees,
    the mountains and the rivers.
    Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
    are heading home again.
    Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
    the world offers itself to your imagination,
    calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
    over and over announcing your place
    in the family of things.
    Mary Oliver

You all are part of the place I belong! Here's to a year in which we look up often, listen well, and never forget to love the ones we love.

Kate - what a beautiful poem - made me cry.

Cheesecake - Hope you're sleeping as I type this!

Resolution for 2004 - A caregiver's weekend!

Cheesecake, yep, been over here practicing. I'm no that far away from honestly belonging in this environment you know! Actually I love Florida and wouldn't mind living here at all.

Kath, how's your mother doing? Hope all is progressing well.

Kate, beautiful poem and one that seems to hold something for all of us. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie, Obie, Debra, Vicky, Everyone -- thanks for the support.

I hope all had a safe New Year's Eve and we can all look forward to this New Year bringing health and happiness as well as those much-anticipated breakthroughs in research.

Dr. Young -- It seems an appropriate time to once again thank you for providing this forum. It has been a lifeline (do I use that word too much?) to me and to many others it seems.

Heading back to Texas today. Much work to be done and not necessarily the things I want to do, but those that I must now tackle.

{{{{{{Hugs to start the New Year}}}}}}