Page 51 of 137 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Obie, Martha, I just got one of those great ideas!!! A Pad to put under a loved ones butt that emits a siren type noise (or a pink gas) every hour to remind them to reposition. We might have missed out on all the millions that the velcro inventor got, butt maybe our ship would sail with this. Okay, trees are up, lights on, time to curl up in bed with a good book. My god it is so nice to talk with you guys!!! Thanks, Debra

Actually I am laughing and that's what scares me! Is this the beginning of the insanity?

Thanks for the ideas and the words of encouragement. Guess I won't kill him yet.

I thank you too ...the picture idea is definitely worth considering. Bill and I have been married over 25 years so it feels like he is an extention of me some times...guess I won't kill him either Martha Some times when I scold him about his daily care relating to his sci he just gets real quiet...so I know he knows :sigh: (thinking some colourful language to describe feelings about sci )

I too will repeat the mantra about laughing about these things some day. Since we already have I know its true.... and it feels really really good to laugh

Your dog stories crack me up Martha .... our mutt Shady continues to naw on her leg from time to time providing some much needed entertainment around here. She's quit chewing on bricks and stones and what not but if she can sneak off into a corner with a slipper or a sock she's a happy camper....we just love her!

Bill used to drive his semi into Knoxville on the rare occasion pre injury Debra always wanted to go with him some time :another sigh: Oh well I love talking to you all too... you've inspired me to put up some xmas lights this weekend! Hope you all got more than your share of turkey and Boston Market treats!!!

P.S. Maybe we should pass that pipe around more often I feel really good this morning....just don't tell Kat okay?? lol

Obie, in one of our many efforts to get things where Julian could get them for himself, we got one of those three drawer wire rack things for the closet. Put all of his socks in it. Babe the Devil Dog (female black lab) would just go pull the socks through the wire to eat them. She considered this her personal "All You Can Eat Sock Buffet".

Y'all are probably wondering why I have dogs. As I think about it -- I am too!

Pipe - what pipe? Where is it? Where have I been?

I hope all of you know just how very special each of you are, and what you contribute to this site, and to each other! Having only been able to sneak a minute here and there this weekend and not respond (knowing if I did, I would be on line for hours!), and watching the drama unfold, with all of you stepping up to the plate - awesome, peeps!

Lots of love here this weekend, with mom and dad in law, and sis and bro in law. Having a tough time reconciling to mom's Parkinson's and (I think) beginning dementia. And pop in law having some eye problems he's got to have surgery for, which is making him feel not as able to provide. Lots of talk, and support, I hope. And hubbie realizing, I think, that his parents are a bit frailer than he thought.

All said, tho, a great weekend, I cooked my butt off - T-day Thursday, breakfast Friday; out to dinner Friday, then a big birthday brunch this am for hubbie - two different quiches, cinnamon rolls, salad, apple/cranberry salad, then the folks were on the road back to NC. I'm tired!

Martha - told Matt about Dogger's tennis ball idea, and he actually laughed out loud! Try adding a zinc supplement, too, we've found it seems to help with healing.

Catch y'all later!

Martha writes:

Does anyone else have a sick sense of humor like mine

I am afraid so, dear lady. Maybe it is a Texas thing

How have you been?

Russ Byrd

Russ! How great to see you! I've been crappy and bitching and moaning to everyone's distraction as usual.

More importantly, how are you and Steve doing? Long time since we've had an update.

Wow!

My family is finally gone, back safe in Michigan, and I come here to see what's been going on....

So good to hear from everyone! Martha, I'm sorry to hear about hubbie's pressure sore!
    I think that, not only should you take a picture, you should tell him that you're going to post it here, where all the caregivers with spouses who listen to them can see what you're dealing with!

We have tons of leftovers since no one would take anything back with them...but it turned out to be a blessing. We got 8.5 inches of snow Friday and Saturday! I guess that means it's time to start with my Christmas decorations! Yikes...I had hoped for a little break before winter really showed up.

Car shopping Monday: please send that pipe this way!! I need all the fortification I can get.

re watching football, so I'm going to sneak in some computer scrabble. Debra

I have to thank all of you for a good laugh last night in the middle of a very stressful situation. It has to do with the now infamous pipe.

My 5 year old has a nasty case of croupe combined with the asthma. Last night he was barking and rattling in his sleep and his lungs sounded terrible. We picked him up and brought him to a steamy bathroom lit only by a night light. We had a makeshift bed on the floor and blankets to cover him. He clearly needed a neb treatment so I tried the pipe. No way, no how was he going to have any part of it. I was cajoling him to "try it, it will make you feel better", when I burts out laughing. Hubbie thought I lost my mind. All I could think about was this stupid pipe thread.I felt less afraid and calmer.

Just imagine the Two of us in a dark room sitting cross legged, minimal light trying to convince someone to try a pipe and all would be better! The only thing missing was the strobe light and some munchies.

Eventually, I swithched to the mask which required no cooperation on his part and slowly his breathing improved. I relaxed, laughed again and thought of this crowd in caregivers.

You guys were there in stress, bringing humor without knowing it. Thanks.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998