Page 49 of 137 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Marmalady~ Thanks for the Pecan pie receipe as well as the sweet potatoes. My youngest son and I labored together to create what looks like a great pie. One problem though.........NO COOKING TIME. Z was very busy opening the oven door to check the jiggle! For those who decide to try the receipe, we clocked cooking time at about 35 minutes. We used our noses to guess the time as well as the jiggle test.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Gobble Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving to All! May your birds be moist and your gravy without lumps!

Yesterday I was totally weirded out because usually on the day before T'giving I'm up to my elbows baking and cooking all day. The house didn't smell right without good things in the oven! Today I'm not so bothered. I will really miss the turkey sandwiches and left over dressing, but Christmas is just around the corner. We're one of those strange families that basically has the same meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas. BUT between now and then I will try both the sweet taters and the pecan pie Jackie. Thanks!

[This message was edited by martha on 11-27-03 at 11:39 AM.]

Debra -- Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry I missed that in your post somehow when I first read it. Sounds like it was a good one. I'd sing to you but no one wants to hear that trust me!

Cheesecake -- sorry about the upper respiratory problems and I don't mean to make light of that, but I am a child of the 60's and I have to say I laughed when I read passing the pipe because back then it WASN'T a nebulizer! Hope all are better now and the day is a great one!

Just had another holiday thought. After this I promise to leave you all alone for the rest of the day! We used to have a party in mid December every year that was a Mad Hatter Cookie / Candy Exchange. Everyone had to come in some sort of hat was judged for prizes(preferably home made or home decorated) and bring cookies/candy. Then everyone took home a variety of cookies/candy that others brought. It's too bad we're all too far apart to do that. It was fun tasting everyone else's recipes. But how about a recipe exchange? So as not to bother the masses, maybe a private topic where everyone posts their favorite cookie or candy recipe?

Martha, i was laughing too, about the pipe!!!! I bet cheescake will laugh too when she reads this.
    Turkey is in the oven, table is set, cranberry sauce made, and i just want to thank you guys for the support you have given. Remember the acute phase when our loved one was critical? When we were daily close to losing them? Well, look how far we have all come, in our journey.
    And, yes, a recipe exchange would be great! Will it only be desserts? Please let me know how to access the site! Debra

Martha~ Please continue to post away. I am reading while cooking. As usual, hubbie put the turkey in toooo early, so our 5pm dinner is ready now. My 11 year old just came down with a tie, ready to be festive for our dinner for 4. He is asking his dad, "Which tie will work best". To many GQ men in this house.

Hmmmm, do you ladies think maybe I knew what I was posting when I referred to the pipe? Just a different version....I too was a child of the late 60's.

I think the receipe idea is wonderful Martha but I would vote to leave it in the open forum..I am sure others have some great ideas as well. It would be wonderful to run them off on receipe cards.

Any other votes?

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Cheesecake, I should have known.

If anyone is interested, guess we could start a Recipe topic in Life or someplace. How about a CC Cookbook? Or do you get into copyright crap from stealing recipes you didn't know were stolen? Maybe that's a bad idea.

No, Martha, it's a great idea. NOT as good as actually sharing this food would be, but a lot better than nothing.

On the "pipe" subject . . . remember that thing they call an "incentive spirometer"? Bruce and I used to make the RTs and nurses laugh whenever they caught us calling it "the bong". As in, hey, have you done the bong yet? He also had this little thing that looked exactly like a high-tech hash pipe that he had to blow in . . .

Of course, our cookbook will not have any recipes that contain illegal substances!

Martha~ If the source of a receipe is known, then you list it. If you are unsure, you tell the story about where you got it from and why you like it. I somehow doupt the cookie and candy police will come done on the contributors Favorite brownie receipes anyone?

Just a quick note - haven't had time to check in earlier. Glad everyone's day went well!

CC - As long as the gravy's hot, the turkey temp isn't as important!

Dont' get me started on the pipe images!

Martha, your recipe exchange sounds super! See, you go off the boards, then come back and start ideas like this journal in the first place, and now the recipe swap! see - we need ya!

My vote is to open a topic in the "Members Forum"; don't like private topics 'cause I"d like to share with others in the community; Life is too - well, lifey - and members would fit the purpose pretty well, I think. CC is right about giving attribution for a recipe; as long as you list the source, you're okay. (Ie, name of cookbook and author). Although, I think if you change 10% of the recipe, you can call it yours!

More later - good weekend so far, with in-laws; rather poignant, as mom-in-law's manifesting more Parkinson's symptoms.

Ta!