Page 28 of 137 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Happy Spring everyone!
    Today it seems as if we are finially making the turn towards Spring. The sun was out, temperature mild, tulips opened perfectly. The grass is turning green and in need of a mow, but the perfect length to hide Easter eggs.
    My 5 and 10 year olds are running around like hyper bunnies from a sugar overload. Someone found a bag of Hershey kisses and has overdosed! No amount of Ritalin will slow him down. I just managed to save the 5 year olds hair from a home haircut. There was a HUGE glob of bubblegum (I think it was the WHOLE yard) stuck in his bangs. The peanutbutter followed by ice managed to get it all out with a minimum of tears and screams. SuperMom and her Heloise fixes to the rescue. Anyone have an antedote for a sugar high? I had him running laps around the cul-de-sac but to no avail. Tricycle didn't work either.
    Jackie, how you manage 3 separate dinners is beyond my imagination. We had a traditional ham dinner with a fresh fruit salad in vanilla yogurt for dessert. It was just the 4 of us and a quiet day. I went looking for flowers to plant but didn't find anything that struck my fancy. Hopefully the tulips will last until next weekend.
    Saturday was the start of T-ball. What an experience that was! It was sort of like herding cats. The youngest player was 3, the oldest 5. My son missed his turn at bat becuase he was playing in a dirt pile! Another child refused to run the bases, meerly walked. He did decide to run when one of his team mates hit the ball past first, he RAN TO FIELD the ballfor the other team! This will be a long season full of laughs.
    Tomorrow is a practice game and then next Saturday is opening day wil a parade. I will be with the T-ball team while my husband will be with the 10 year olds that he coaches.
    I am a bit melancoly today as it is always hard being away from family on the Holidays. I haven't been home since May 1992. I miss the chaos and the comradery of our large family gatherings. I have never seen my neices nor my brothers seen my sons......been too long.
    Enjoy the Spring everyone.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Today was my day to be waited on, well, sort of. I only had to bring one dish to Moms. We handle clean up and always have a few projects around the house. It was a beautiful night and we were able to sit outside for dinner, watch the children play ball, and laugh hysterically at each others ridiculous stories. A perfect day, marred only by allowing myself to get drawn into a useless quarrel.

Our 17 year old son is in Kiawah, South Carolina with family friends. They have been so generous to include him whenever they go. Our daughter left after supper to return to school, only to turn around 30 minutes into her trip due to stormy weather. She is curled up on the couch watching Field of Dreams with her dad and the storm has arrived here. So glad she decided not to drive any further in this. The thunder and lightening is a bit frightening.

All this talk of flowers, and my lovely daughter's presence 3 feet away reminds me of a school project "we, she" did her sophomore year in HS. She collected and pressed, or photographed more than 200 wildflower specimens. We collected them from Michigan, Florida, the Carolinas and everywhere in between. She filled a 5 inch binder and calls it her pride and joy. It really enhanced our shared appreciation of wildflowers and we still compete to see who spots them first. I used to look for Wildflower nature walks listed in the paper (never knew those existed, and scads of people go on them.) We discovered lovely little parks I had never before heard of. We did all this while traveling with my husband and son. Our son was competeing in Junior golf at a national level and we went along whenever we could. A year later in the midst of my husbands repeated hospitalizations, infections, and therapies, one of my responsiblities was to pull our son out of tournaments, cancel scheduled trips and plead with airlines and resorts for our money back. That was supposed to be one terrific year, we even had a 20th anniversary trip to Hawaii planned.

Well, hubbys off to bed, our son called to wish us well and my daughter wants to snuggle. Night all!

I shall become a productive member of society again...

I'm being hired as a Vista worker to help a local library get settled in their new building! I'm going to be a "consultant" and help with collection development, organizing, cataloging, marketing and whatever else should come up. It's only three days a week, which is great for me right now. I'm really looking forward to this!

How's life going for everyone else?

Good for you, Vicky!

I think being surrounded by books all day long would be kind of heavenly . . . must be why we own so many!

It's Wednesday night. Heather is procrastinating about her homework, Emily is on spring break and is off at the movies. Bruce is--would you believe it!--doing a piece of digital art at a conference in Boston. He's been working on this forever. It involves using three projectors and a three dvd players to make images he's put together ahead of time appear on the bodies of people passing by. I know, I know . . . it sounds strange. It IS strange. But also cool.

Anybody with access to the Boston Globe, he's going to be profiled in Friday's paper--our kids think this makes him famous.

In the meantime, their un-famous mom is making them do their chores, go to school, walk the dog, write paragraphs for their senators to explain what it's like when your dad has a spinal cord injury.

All good, in other words. Thanks very much to Martha for the idea she put up in our Private Topics forum . . . I was feeling kind of sad about all that. Martha! What is the name of the rock you've crawled under? I want to come and move it.

K

Vicky - I echo Kate's statement about being surrounded by books - sounds heavenly!! Congratulations! Is this your first job post-accident? It does feel weird, I know - sort of other dimensional, to be thrust back into a 'normal' world. I often found myself looking at people having little nitpicky 'bothers', and saying, you have no idea how little this matters in the great scheme of life!

Getting the house ready to 'show', cleaning, cleaning, cleaning - as Mary would say, 'yukka'!
    I planted the last flowers I'll plant here at the old homestead, to pretty up the outside; made me kind of sad. But am looking forward to being able to plant things that aren't deer proof, and more tropicals, too, in the new house!

Martha - What IS the name of that rock? Where you been, girlfriend?

To everyone else, - how are y'all (see how I'm practicing my Southern!), and how's spring going?

I was working full time and going to grad school when Bri had her accident, and I continued both post accident. I quit my job when I moved to W.Va. This is the first time I've been unemployed since I was pregnant with Bri! So I've been enjoying these past four months of freedom, but I'm looking forward to getting back into libraries. My first assignment is meeting with the library board and the librarian and helping to select furniture for the new building.

And yes, being surrounded by books is heavenly!

Vicky

Vicky, so glad for you and your new job. Three days will be great!! Did Bri get feeling better?
    Tom is still on the Vent, can't get weaned yet, but hanging in there...Other areas seem to be resolving. and he can walk and think, so that is alot to be thankful for!
    Catch ya later.

Friday evening

Weird day . . . started at 4 am when I woke up to the sound of somebody trying to come into my bedroom. We have a little cantilevered deck with a narrow door 10 feet from my bed, with a long window in it, covered by a venetian blind. I could see the shape of someone big and tall. I jumped up, ran out into the house, down to the kitchen, frantically tried to put 911 into the phone, couldn't see the damn thing well enough to even get a dial tone.

So scared!! Bruce out of town, one daughter at a friend's house, the 12-year-old sleeping upstairs. Scampered up to get her with me, called the police from the upstairs phone, waited until they showed up. Whoever it was had gone, and I ALMOST convinced myself I'd dreamed it . . . but I knew I hadn't.

So, we stayed up, and she went to school, and I went off to teach, and yeah.

Talked with Bruce a little while ago. He's got his project going (check www.bostonglobe.com) and is running it as I write. I'm so proud of him for making this happen, and for being so determined to get his art career back. He fell three weeks after earning an MFA, and spent two years trying to feel well enough to even think about art. So this is big, huge, fabulous. The paper has an image of my (!) naked back with one of his images projected on it. Oy, what was I thinking?!

Kate -YIKES!! Time for you to enroll in a self-defense class. Seriously. Especially if Bruce is going to be gone sporadically. I'd check your locks, maybe even change them. Ask the police to do 'drive bys', especially when Bruce is out of town; and consider adding a dog to your family tree! Not even necessarily a big ferocious guard type dog - there was a study done a while ago with robbers who were in prison; they said overwhelmingly that if they heard a dog in the house, they'd look elsewhere! Even little dogs, they weren't willing to take a chance with.

On the bright side, congrats to Bruce! What an accomplishment!

How frightening Kate, hope you don't have anymore unwanted visitors. Can you take a cordless phone to bed with you? and maybe some mace tied to your wrist? Which article is about Bruce's project? I couldn't find it.

Good luck with the sale of your home Jackie. I know how stressful this can be. Our 17 year old son returned from the Charleston area today, said there were not enough girls on the beach this year. He is most anxious to get his film developed so he can show off the huge hole they dug on the beach, poor guy. He and his buddies are hanging out in the basement planning senior spring break. Oh joy, Cancun and Panama are at the top of the list.

Vicky, your new job sounds like fun!

I learned a couple fun things at the Flower show... using equal parts of water and bleach in your vase for cut flowers is the best preservative and will also remove their fragrance which could be good or bad depending. You can gently pull the petals open on tulips and the flower looks tropical and quite beautiful.