Page 27 of 137 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Journals

Marmalady moving to Charleston, SC. Where did you live before that? I hope it is not snowing where you live. I live in sunny California and would not live in the snow for anything again. When we were at the Veterans Winter Sports Clinic in Aspen/Snowmass, it was too hot in the hotel and too cold outside. So it was dressing and undressing to be comfortable. Snow is fun to visit but would not live there again.

We are retired people and most of you sound young. Most are still working I take it. How did your SCI get injured? I found at the Winter Games that most of the SCI injured were in car accidents. My SCI passed out and fell on his face and compressed spinal cord at C4-C7 level. Now his problem's are pins and needles in hands/legs and numbness in legs. He has had MRI a couple of time and nothing shows. He has a metal plate in neck - he had surgery through the front of throat about a year ago. Has anyone experienced the same kind of problems he is having? Don't know what to do about it. He is walking, but is afraid this numbness in legs will curtail his walking. We live in a townhouse and have a lift to the upstairs. My patio is blazing with flowers and ferns and I have flowers all year around. The only thing I dislike about So. Calif. is too many people. I have kept a journal since the day he had his accident.
    He can't get in to see the Neurologist until May. Must go to primary care doctor to get referral first. The VA would even take longer.

HI, CG, Lived in Charleston for 15 years, now in NJ for the past 11, and going back to Charleston. Yes, we had tons of snow here this winter, but that's not the reason we're leaving!Lots of things just fell into place, and it was the right thing to do!

Are most of us young? Hmmmm - a loaded question! I'm approaching my mid-50's .

Is hubbie's physiatrist with VA? I'd suggest going to someone who's familiar with SCI neuropathic pain, even if you have to wait a bit. You may want to check out the 'Pain' forum, where there's lots of discussion of neuropathic pain.

Marmalady, Thanks for the advice. I've tried to get him to talk to a counselor, but he's not ready yet. I wish that I had the time to. But realistically, there is no way. Work is crazy, we are opening a new office in May. I'm trying to orientate the new nurses, and get everything in order for opening on the 19. Oldest son is in soccer. It's a joy to go to his games. It's my happy time. With six kids, work and caring for Joe, there isn't anytime left. Sometimes I can sneak in some knitting and quilting. That is my therapy. I've tried to find some support groups in the area for spinal cord injuries, but they don't exist.
    Joe talks to me a lot, which I am thankful for. We have always had a wonderful relationship. Today is our anniversary. I love him very much and I know he loves me. He only says so a dozen times a day. But this is so hard. It's hard to see him struggle and fight so hard. But I am sure you all understand that. Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it. It means so much more coming from people who have walked in my shoes.
    Stacey

Stacey, you sound like a goddess to me

but then I've always had deep admiration for anybody who can knit. My mom can knit. I know ten-yr-olds who can knit. I have to be shown how to cast on every time I try, and then there's casting off, oh brother.

It made me sad when you wrote the other day that you miss your husband. I so remember that feeling, like I would have given anything just to spend an hour with the old him, my rock and the one person who could always be counted on to get my jokes. Intead I had a silent, withdrawn stranger who slept 16 hours a day and then napped in his lunch. He drooled, and needed help to sit up, and had nothing to give, except the occasional reassurance that he was trying as hard as he could to come back to me.

He did. He did come back to me. Hang in there.

Hi All,
    I have been reading/lurking in the wings, enjoy hearing about everyone and especially the flowers coming up. We just moved herelast May, so I planted hundreds of flowers last year, my therapy after losing Chad. This year I have them all peeking up and tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils blooming. Took a bouquet to Chad's grave yesterday, I sure miss him it was a year 4/3. I just got his Dodge pickup sold, bittersweet, to an 18 y/o Quad from an hour away. Darling and spooky how much like Chad he is.....smarty, husky, flirt, charmer, cute, and full of life!!
    My Tom was injured 4 weeks ago in a car accident, fell asleep on way home from work and a couple beers. Splintered a power pole , rolled 3 times. He is still on a Ventilator, he had crushing chest injuries, torn aorta, lacerated lung, and an incidental broken R wrist and torn ligaments knee cap R leg. What a deal, imagine how I made sure he could move everything! What a deal. Tom and I have been together 11 years, married for 4, divorced and back together. Never really apart!!
    It has been already a long haul for him, they did a trach on Mon. He had been septic with infection from his aorta surgery, and pneumonia, I was a mess, remembering Chad's sudden pneumonia, sepsis and death.
    I am going to have to have another talk with Big "G" soon!! I don't know why he thinks I am strong enuf for all this!!
    So glad I didn't make plans for the 'Get Together'. Must have had an omen!!
    Vicki, hope Bri comes out of this soon. She just needs to get that infection under control, and when they don't feel good it is so easy to slip into the pits.
    WE ARE YOUNG on this board.....
    Stacey, I have read your posts with interest, you are so honest and it is good to pour it out here, the respondents are great. You and Joe will get on with it. It is still so early in your journey to "living with it".
    Take care you all.....Linda

Linda,
    Why is it that terrible things keep happening to some people? The big G better start listening! cause we're just not gonna take it anymore... right? Smack the next person for me who says, "God never gives us anymore adversity than we can handle." I am just itching for the opportunity, cause I have promised myself that is what I will do. Go for it girl.

I am so very sorry you must suffer this horrible tragedy Linda. I will pray you have the strength and fortitude you need and for a speedy recovery for your loved one. Kathy

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's accident; it really must seem like deja vu. I often wonder about the incidence of post-traumatic stress disorder in family members; I still jump at the sound of an ambulance, and just the other day was at Kessler with Matt when they had a stat code; saw all the docs running, and nurses running with crash cart, and almost lost it myself, remembering the nightmares.

My favorite quote from Mother Teresa:

"I know God won't give me more than I can handle - I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much." !!

Linda,

What a nightmare for you both! I am so sorry to hear about Tom, and so close to the awful "first" anniversary. I can't believe it's been a year. I sure hope it goes without saying that we're all here for you. Keep us posted, please!

You know, Bri totaled my car when she was 16, with nothing but bruises, thank God; a guy sideswiped her at 17 and shook her up but good; then at 18...well, that accident is why I'm here; and then at 19 she was in a second accident. She and her aid were rear-ended right in front of a hospital! I never thought I'd get one of those phone calls again...but there it was. Can you picture how jumpy I was?? Sirens, life-flight helicopters, ambulances, you name it...I cringed, and prayed. We actually celebrated when she made it through her 20th year with no car accidents!

Shoulda kept her away from wheels when she fell off her bike and broke her jaw at 7!!

Vicky

Happy Easter/Passover to all! I've had a great day, other than hopefully putting out a little fire in another topic - ahem!

Planted the last flowers I'll plant at this home, to make it look even more spiffy, so someone will gobble it up at close to list price! We're listing as of May 2 - don't know if I'm ready for this roller coaster ride yet!

Easter dinner is lamb chops for me, salmon for hubbie, and veggie barbeque (don't ask!) for Matt! Salad, and artichoke cheese dip with garlic bread. Maybe strawberries and ice cream if we're not stuffed!

Happy, happy to all.

The first wrens showed up today, at the birdhouses, and singing their little heads off.

Hope this day of hope and rebirth and renewal is a special one for all of you.

Food--Easter--Life

Jackie, you can cook for me anytime. I'm making lamb stew and rhubarb pie, can't wait!

This morning we sang two LONG services, with 4 violins and a cello and a trumpet or two. The soprano solo is a friend of mine named Linda, who is not especially "religious"--but when she sings, holy smoke!--everybody in the ROOM gets religion, even if they don't want it.

Our daughters handled ushering for the early service . . . amazing to sit up there and watch them in their nice clothes and clunky shoes, handing out the Order of Worship and looking like they belonged. When we came to this church, like 17 years ago, I was just a 30-something single person with an interesting date. I remember clearly looking at the teenagers there and being knocked out by how loved they all seemed to be.

One of the lines I sang today went like this: "Did e'er such love and sorrow meet?" Which put me into a certain hospital room, two years ago, watching my stubborn, beloved husband struggle to brush his own teeth. Did e'er such love and sorrow meet? Sure.