Page 25 of 137 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Vicky -- I would think after *septic tank digging* even lousy weather would be preferable! Hope y'all got everything fixed.

Lousy week here. Gonna crawl back under my rock now.

Vicky, They're calling for snow tomorrow here, too. Right in the midst of planting some pansies and violas - gotta make the house look sweet for buyers!

It's been a rough month; I'm starting to have that little panicky voice inside that I get whenever there's too much to do and not enough time to do it in. Have to keep reminding myself to just deal with whatever's in front of my face, and it'll all get done.

Matt's starting a Cognitive Remediation Program at one of the Kessler branches next week; 3 days, M, T, F - from 10 to 3. They have aides there to assist, so I can just drop him off and then pick him up again. Met with the doc who runs the program, and he's pretty neat, so we have our fingers crossed for Matt That he'll learn some real skills to get on with his life.

Will be starting to work for my old transcription company again, at home, as soon as they ship me the computer. Not looking forward to it, and certainly thought I had put that career to bed! But it's good $$$, and I'll be able to work from SC when we move - company is all digital and computer.

Two of our turkey buzzards were right under my window yesterday - could have reached out and touched 'em - boy, are they ugly!!!! And saw two mama deer yesterday, checking out the woods, so we'll have two sets of fawns this year! Vicky, I hope you get to see the little ones when they're tiny - adorable.

Kate - Love your answers in the Life forum - you go, girl!

Martha - Is the rock big enough for both of us?

To everyone else - check in and say hi!!!

Was busy working with out of town clients this week... it is always enjoyable to see my hometown through the eyes of someone else. It is stressful; however, to spend 8 hours a day driving around, avoiding other drivers, not getting lost, sounding knowledgeable about the market and playing tour guide. All this to make a sale, maybe.

Household chores are calling, and much as I enjoy working in the yard it is one more responsibility that falls on me to do or delegate. Well I'm off to perform the usual juggling act. Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.

Gawd, Kath, now you're making me feel guilty for what I'm going to be putting our realtor through as I go through about 18 houses in 2 1/2 days!!!!

All in a days work Marmalady...only 18? You were easy on your realtor.

Kath, There were lots more that had the 'wow' factor when we looked at Pru's website, but had to eliminate them for various reasons - no master on the 1st floor, or built up on stilts (can you imagine ramping that?!!), or sunken family room, etc.

I am excited about the ones still on the list, tho, and even more excited about home prices in SC versus NJ!!!! We're going to be able to get about twice the house for half the cost!! (i.e., 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, yummy kitchen, Florida room across the whole back of the house, on 1/2 acre, AND an enclosed pool - for $199,000!!) Up here that would be on the market for an easy $450,000.

Marmalady I am so happy to read your new post... you sound upbeat and very encouraged. How fortunate you and your realtor were able to weed out the not possibles and save some time. Guess you won't be missing a basement!

A pool would be awesome for your son in so many ways. My husband began working out regularly in a warm water pool about a month ago. His spasticity is greatly reduced and his workouts much more productive. There is also something very soothing about the water.

Perhaps our caregiver reunion could be in the Carolinas and so an easier commute for you. We used to vacation in Hilton Head every summer and often made day trips to Charleston. Fascinating history, beautiful archtecture, gorgeous coast, antique stores on King St. (I think), what is the market area called, I forget? and the baskets, what are those called? I would love to go back. Magnolia Gardens was a popular destination, the swamp trail was fascinating and the gardens spectacular. The canoe trip offers the opportunity to get up close and personal with the gators, I passed.

Good luck with the sale of your home, it can be very stressful, unfortunately. I'm curious to know if you are highlighting the accessible features of your current home or are you having to downplay these, and offer to return the home to it's original condition. We had to make allowances so the new owner could return our house to it's unmodified state. I wonder if a case could be made to deduct that expense? Too late for me, but you might look into it.

The snow has returned! Crazy weather....I wonder if my seeded lawn will survive?

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

CC, it's supposed to snow here too - they 'say' 1-3 inches, but I don't think it'll stick - the ground's not frozen at all. Right now, it's raining. I think your lawn will do okay; snow actually acts as an insulator. I'm just now assessing the hit my herbs, shrubs and bonsai took. Weird - the stuff I thought would be a goner is budding out, and the so-called 'hardy' ones have tanked. Oh, well.

KDK - we're definitely going to 'highlight' the accessibility; Matt's room has a private entrance with a deck that looks over the woods, so there's no way we'd 'unmodify' it! This is our house in a nutshell - 1800 sq.ft., LR, DR, galley kitchen loaded with cabinets; 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths on 1st floor, and 1 BR and den on the second floor. Screened porch, patio, and deck. Full basement in original part of the house. Lot is almost 2 acres in PRIME location. Original house is about 150 years old, was the farmhouse for this whole area. In the last two years, we've sided the house, put in 17 new windows including a bay in the LR, garden window in kitchen, painted the entire downstairs, and added a new roof. All appliances less than 5 years old. We just had the plumber do new sump pump and piping, and a mason plastered the whole basement to waterproof it.

I'm feeling good about asking top dollar, and I think we'll get it.

Charleston is a neat city, a little tough to live in at times (lots of old Southern snootiness about the 'Northern aggression' still exists!). The market is part of the old slave market, as Charleston was the main port of the south. Used to be more 'real' than it is now, with local farmers and craftspeople, now it's like everyplace else. The island ladies are still there making their sweetgrass baskets, tho, and don't dare try to take their picture! They believe you'll capture their soul if you do! Magnolia Gardens and Middleton Place are wonderful in the spring with all azaleas and dogwoods. Hilton Head is great, too; I used to take the boys to the beach there, and we'd pick up 'swimp' from the guys with the roadside stands on the way home.

There's a lot I'm looking forward to, and also a lot I'll miss here. Not having the international food accessibility is going to be a bummer, but there's always mail order! I do look forward to all the fresh produce for more of the season, tho.

Oh, and forget the gators - how about the copperheads in everyone's backyard? On the other hand, there's lots of places to crab and shrimp and clam. Yum.

Got to run before this turns into a book!

The snow has returned...and how!!

Here it is, 6:30 pm and it's STILL snowing! We easily have 12 inches..maybe 14! It'll be interesting to see how quickly this stuff melts off..

Jackie...good luck househunting! I hope you find the perfect place. I also hope I get to see the fawns this season...we still have deer lurking in the yard, so I'm staying positive.

Martha~Sorry to hear about your rough week. Here's to a better week coming up. (And yes, our plumbing is finally in order!)

I think I'll find a good movie on TV and grab a mug of hot chocolate...hopefully my last for this "winter!"

Vicky