Page 20 of 137 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Another sunny morning...feels like a good day to go shopping! I have a touch of cabin fever, and a wild desire to spend a wee bit o' the green.

Kate~All the best on your return to the crash site. I had to drive past Brianna's accident site on my way to class while I was working on my master's; personally, it was awful. I think your experience, given Bruce's amount of recovery and the support you'll have, will be different. (Request for prayers noted!)

Jackie~Tulips! I am so ready to see some flowers! There's a huge rhododendron bush by the front deck (I know nothing about these plants) whose leaves have remained on the bush and green all winter long. But...we had a young deer up on the deck, munching the leaves when the snow was so deep a few weeks ago, so it may be ragged this year! I guess I'd rather have the little one make it through the winter. You can always get something at Home Depot, right?

Martha~Only in our online journal for caregivers can we turn Hoyer lifts into medieval torture devices!! What a visual, you guys...Julian, piece of birthday cake in one hand, paintbrush in the other...feet dangling a good two feet from the ground...Martha calmly pointing out a spot on the woodwork he missed as she sails by with a book and tall glass of ice tea...by the way, I'm taking your orders to ignore spring housecleaning VERY seriously. I'd rather spring clean the yard. I missed my bird feeders this winter, and that's one addition I'm definitely making here.

Journals and writing books: great topic for us, I think. I'm keeping a journal of 2003, which so far has included many ramblings on the happenings of 2002. But Jackie, you reminded me of the time of Bri's accident. (Her anniversary is March 31st; what is it with March??) I had just purchased the book "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach, which I HIGHLY recommend to all of you. She encourages you to keep a Gratitude Journal; each day, write down something for which you are grateful: tulips, coffee makers, feeding birds and deer, love. I began doing this about two months before Bri's accident. After she was injured, it took a while to get back to writing in it, but going back and reading about all the things I was grateful for was SO helpful at that time! Gratitude was my overwhelming emotion as I was sitting in the ER that March morning, too; so grateful that she was alive, that her break was low and she could breathe on her own and had use of her arms and hands, that there was no evidence of a head injury, that the girl with her was fine (not a scratch!); both my brothers left work that day and showed up to be with me...more gratitude! You know how it is with brothers, too...they were such brats at times when we were kids! Yet there they both were, tears in their eyes, feeling helpless and yet ready to do anything at all. I really believe keeping that Gratitude Journal opened my eyes; I truly believe that nothing is accidental!

Ok..Looking at the length of this, I AM a frustrated novelist, aren't I?? I'm off to "town"...I need a coffee maker, and it's a good hour to the closest WalMart!

Vicky

Well, if you lived in Seattle

you'd be getting spring right now. No kidding, we have crocuses and early daffodils and heather blooming on the ground, plus a lot of the ornamental cherry trees are turning pink. I grew up in northern Minnesota and upper Michigan, so I know what it's like to wait until the end of April for the stupid snowbanks to disappear. One winter in Duluth, the radio announcer refused to shave off his beard until the thermostat hit 40 . . . and that didn't happen until after Easter! Now I've grown soft and pampered. Forty is our average LOW during the winter, not a balmy day we pray for.

Plus, if you lived here, you could come over now and I'd feed you some of the massive quantities of girl scout cookies stacked up in my garage!

Sci Mum , quote ''Her anniversary is March 31st; what is it with March? '' unquote . i'll qualify that further , ''what is it with the 31st of March ? i was injured on 31mar91 and Sharon was injured on 31mar01 .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Hi everyone!

The touch of spring was here today also. I just loved to drive at lunchtime with the window down... It smelled like spring!

And we did it! Got the elliptical set up in the garage, hooked up the hoist to the ceiling, adjusted the harness and had him do some walking on Saturday. It's not pretty, but it works! I'm excited and so is he

Hope all of you had great weekend!
    k

krajaxa, that's great--

It's so wonderful to have something NEW to do!

And Dogger . . . I don't think I've ever heard you say how you got hurt. What was it?

Kate , roll over in a 4x4 utility [ i think you would call it a truck ] . reason i hate them , even though there are 5 of them outside .

thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Good Morning,
    I am so jealous. The rest of you are talking about spring, and we just got about 8 inches of snow dropped on us. I finally talked Joe into going shopping with me for the first time since the accident. I won't dare let a little snow stop us. Anyhow, no birds chirping for me, I have to go shovel.
    Bye, Stacey

Krajaxa; Where in the heck did you find a harness? I haven't beeen able to locate one.

Know what I always thought would be a good book? One written as if we were posting in this journal on the internet. That way you could tell a number of stories in the short sound bites that the general public has grown accustomed to. It could be a very effective way to touch people and depict how SCI does not discriminate; moreover, it can happen to anyone, any age, gender, race, anywhere in the world and be caused by any number of events. It could be entertaining because we have all learned to keep humor in our lives, some more macabre than others, but all are inspired. You could fabricate or embellish stories or simply tell it like we do with different writing styles and so on. It could begin or end with Caregivers Gone Bad (this is a catchy title, don't ya think). Any creative geniuses out there?

I know I appear to bitch a lot and I don't mean to. But I need a clearer perspective from unbiased outsiders. I'm definitely too close to this forest to see the trees. I am fortunate that my boss (the most wonderful company in the world) agreed to let me work from home. But I am still "at work" even though I'm just in the other room. Julian interrupts me a million times a day with mostly ridiculous stuff. I'm getting better about ignoring a good deal of it. Today's problem is that he is in a real snit because when he shouted to me the RX number of something he needed refilled, for the first time ever I told him to call the blanking pharmacy himself! Now he's going to pout all day. In general, it's easier to be a slave than to have to be around someone who pouts and sulks. Ok, I know I've always apoiled him, but this is to the point of the ridiculous. Bring me this, get me that, put a pillow under my feet, take the pillow out from under my feet, I can't reach my blanket on the sofa, do we have anything to eat (after 30 years you'd think he'd know there is always something to eat), would you get me a snack, etc ad nauseum. I have NEVER had anyone take care of me nor would I expect anyone to. I'm not sure if I have a real question here or if I just needed to rant again. This life sucks pond scum.

I also work at home and constantly get the request for food and drink. It bothers me and at times I ask him to get it himself, mostly it's easier to grit my teeth, suck it up and do it. He eats in his recliner by the way and has countless excuses for not coming to the table. I put my foot down on cathing in the chair. He did this at our other house because he could not access the first floor bath, but I will tolerate no excuse here for that.

Sometimes when I am in a snit I cannot help but reflect how different things would have been had this happened to me. I know he would have left me everyday to go to work and independance would have been forced upon me, like it or not.