Page 2 of 137 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Vicky-re Sin Wagon

A few years ago, the husband of a lifelong friend left her and her 16 yr. old boy stranded, with her unemployed and broke, in New Summerfield, TX. I couldn't help much-but I did show up for the weekend with groceries, liquor and that CD. Lordy, we had a lot of fun listening to that and cussing him! Sin Wagon must be the best divorce song of all. Talk about onward and upward. Throw that red dress on! When I got out of rehab, she came (with a litter of pups) and stayed with me for a week. I was in heaven. Good luck, girlfriend-and to all the rest of you too. Betheny

Thanks, Betheny!

I agree..it's a great divorce song! Here's the thing that cracks all my friends up...I'm a librarian! There's something about a librarian on a "sin wagon" that just strikes them as hilarious.

What a wonderful "buddy" story you shared, too. Everyone should have a friend like that in life. My best friend is moving to Alaska in the spring...so we'll have to really work at keeping in touch.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's always welcome!

Vicky

A "buddy" story for you:

When my kids were, like, infant and toddler size and driving me nuts, I called another (more experienced) mom one afternoon and said, "What are you supposed to do when you feel like dropping them out the window?!!!" She didn't even pause.

She said, "I used to like to put them in their car seats and drive about a hundred miles . . . they could still be screaming, but at least I didn't have to touch them." Then she showed up about an hour later with a "care package" for me. Wine, chocolate, a trashy magazine, and DINNER. Truly a heroine, in one stroke giving me permission to be totally cuckoo and a reason to believe I'd come out sane, in spite of myself.

Good friends make anything possible--even living with sci

Marmalady,

Your post regarding your teenage son is soooooooooo correct. My brothers and sisters referred to me as 'grunt' between the ages of 14 and 17. I look back now and laugh. They were right.
    Andrew

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale blue moonlight?"

Hey, are you all snowed in??

Monday night. Elder kid doing homework, younger gooing out on cartoons. Dog asleep on the kitchen floor, cockatiel quiet for once. Christmas lights up on the front of the house and the deck, tree decorated, presents for out-of-town family sitting in a box in the garage . . . me, here, not wrapping presents, not doing paperwork, not cleaning.

Spouse GONE to Florida for the week--that's the big news. Left him at Seatac this morning, sitting in his chair with his suitcase and walker in his lap, and when he called a little while ago to say he'd made it, he said, DRUMROLL PLEASE . . . he didn't have to use the freaking aisle chair--could use the walker thru 1st class spaciousness, then navigate the coach aisle by holding on to the backs of seats for support. Major coolness!

Except he's in balmy Ft Lauderdale and I'm in cold, rainy Seattle. Where are you?

Snowed in - not really; we had about 7 inches on Thursday, and I would have gone into work, but Matt's aide called off, and I was afraid I'd get into work and get stuck. By about 5 pm it was done snowing and we were left with a beautiful winter wonderland. Call me crazy - I love the snow!

this week is just totally nuts. Trying to get family presents in the mail so we still have time for regular postage, not the two day ripoff at the last minute like last year! Hubbie has two office parties this week; I have to meet with the Medicaid folks to renew Matt's Medicaid on Thursday; I have about 10 different kinds of cookies to make; oh, and am proofing a copy of hubbie's book, which will be coming out on E-Reads print on demand. Sigh.

Kate, Tell hubbie way to go!! Friends of ours have 3 parrots, all of whom talk; a couple of years ago, baby #1 came along and - you guessed it - parrots learned to cry like the baby! But wait - it gets better - then they learned to say, 'is it the baby or is it the bird?'

Andrew - ""Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale blue moonlight?" " Yes.

Martha, what's up with the UTI's?

LOL, great parrot story!! The cockatiel just screeches until we give him a treat.

I also love snow. 7 inches in Seattle is, like, enough to shut the whole city down for a couple of days. We hardly ever get even a little dusting, so the city owns, like, 3 snowplows, plus there are a lot of very steep hills and curving roads and bridges to ice over . . . and only folk like myself (raised in Upper Michigan) have the slightest idea how to drive in such conditions. Not to brag, of course.

I admit I do NOT love snow enough to want to deal with it for four straight months every year, however. No. I will drink my latte and admire you from a distance.

Slow night tonight. The usual: homework, arguments about who left the bathroom a mess, the Gilmore Girls (of whom we can't get enough!), and missing Bruce. If he calls to tell me he went to the beach, I'll kill him.

No new snow, but...

It's cold tonight! I have roughly 3 hours left of my last day at work! What a strange feeling; it's good, and it's odd. I've been here seven years.

I'm still sorting and packing, and while things look worse, I feel they are more organized. Now I'm compulsively checking the weather in West Virginia...snow is okay, but the ice worries me.

So..I'm off to my last board meeting.

Kate, where in upper Michigan? Your story made me laugh. When I lived in Denver, and we got more than one or two inches, I was the one the neighbors called to go to the store for bread and milk!

No Kate, I did *not* go to the beach!

I spent the day staring at a computer screen and reading documents, plus I'm about as far in from the beach as you can be and still be part of the greater Ft. Lauderdale area. It's probably a $40 cab ride from here to the ocean.

There is a little lake next to the office building here that someone saw a crocodile in once. If I get bored out of my skull, maybe I'll go croc wrestling

- Bruce

Bruce!

How fun to find you here, listening in to my ramblings. I wouldn't REALLY kill you, of course. At least I don't think so. Sorry about the boredom; I actually wish you could see that ocean, esp. at sunrise. It's a wonder.

Vicky, I was born in Gladstone, lived in Duluth, Minn., for grade school, spent junior high in Marquette, moved south to Traverse City for high school, and then later spent one year in Houghton at Michigan Tech . . . so I guess, I'm from all over the UP. Where are you?