Page 16 of 137 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Oh, Martha, maybe I'll go halfers with you on the doggie rescue ranch!

Stopped at a 'puppy store' last week on the way home; just on a whim; was feeling a little blue and puppies always warm my heart! Although I would NEVER buy a puppy from one of those mills.

Well. There was a little female mastiff about 10 weeks old, fawn-colored, who has taken my heart! She's about 25 lbs already and is so galumphy because her feet are so huge! When the handler put her in my arms to carry into the 'playroom', she just nuzzled right into my neck; I spent about a half hour on the floor with her, and she just couldn't decide whether she wanted to run around the floor or sit in my lap! What an absolute baby doll!

Now the head says - no way can you get another dog - you have two - you're moving - don't you know how BIG mastiffs get? - and they drool - and the other two will be jealous. I know, I know.

She gave me an absolutely lovely afternoon, and I hope she finds a wonderful family, but she's going to carry a little piece of my heart with her!

Oh - and Martha - I'd be happy to be your roomie!!!

Jackie, you are a brave soul to even walk past a pet store. I can't do it -- there are too many of them that just need to come home with me. And I do love BIG dogs.

You're also a brave soul to offer to room with me. Thanks!

Hi Vicky et all, I did read 'Lovely Bones'. It was interesting and kept me reading, but probably where I'm at it was at times disappointing. I would have preferred she was a little more content in the 'hereafter'. I don't think my daughter would like it at all, because her take on where Chad is, isn't at all like this 'story'!! So glad your life is going well...Good luck at Craig with Bri's further advancing in this challenging way of life. I read all the time, and love finding new things to read. It is definitely a great escape at times for me!! Love to hear of all the other smokers!! and dog lovers!! Isn't it fun to hear of the similarities we share.... Linda

I needed a laugh today......

and a friend provided it with the following explanation of why men don't make good secretaries.

Note on refrigerator from husband to wife:

Someone from the Guyna Colleges called. They said the Pabst Beer is normal. I didn't know you liked beer.

Mazey - Glad to have you back on board!

Martha - Guffaw!

Vicki - I'm a voracious reader, and love all the 'law' novels, and have gotten pretty good at figuring out who the serial killer is!

Marmalady, I just finished 'Dark Horse' by an unknown author to me, Tami Hoge?spelling. Didn't know the killer till very end, so fun!!
    I know this isn't a book club, just thought I'd share it, since I too, usually have figured it out earlier!!

Tuesday afternoon, and I think I'm finally recovered from the weekend! Brianna is out in Englewood, for her two weeks at Craig. We haven't been apart this long in four years...what to do with myself!!

Sunday was something else...I think flying to Denver and back on the same day is not going to become a habit for me...whew!

As to becoming a book club...hey, we all need to escape, right? (See "Caregivers Gone Bad") Mazey, we'll have to discuss "The Lovely Bones" when we get together! That was the book I read Sunday as I was sitting in airports and on airplanes...

We're getting more snow, and once again, my poor little car is at the bottom of the driveway...

How's everyone else?
    Vicky

Gads.

Leaving in 13 hours for Sarasota, not quite packed, animals not quite organized to their various vacation homes, none of us can quite believe we're actually doing this.

Original plan for the trip was: go visit my mom, who winters in Florida . . . except she spent most of this winter up in Michigan looking after her dying brother. Sunday she fell and broke a hip and is now post replacement surgery in a hospital near Ann Arbor . . . no cause for me to go there (I have seven brothers and sisters, most of them in Michigan), but we'll not be seeing her on our vacation.

Her dying brother is still alive, but also still dying.

Our choir director told us last night (finally) that he's going to have to take some time off to look after his dying partner, who might not live through this vacation I'm about to take. I'm on the brand new list of people willing to help in any way they can--which meant making lamb stew for the two of them on Wednesday night. My family was on a lot of people's lists for a very long time, and it feels good to be on the other side of that dynamic again. It's always someone's turn to be helped.

The newscasters keep talking about Al Qaeda threats and plastic sheeting and duct tape and how far away is North Korea, anyway? I listened to the UN Security Council debate this morning, did you?

On the Cure Forum, Wise is talking (again) about combining the strengths of various disability communities in the hope that we can (finally) get something done. I have such hope for a cure! I was so encouraged to read what he posted from China, my God . . . where is the person who can take this political/organizational thing on?

I'll hook up with you all in a week or so. Wish me well!

[This message was edited by Marmalady on 02-15-03 at 17:52.]

Kate, so sorry to hear about your Mom, Uncle, choir director's partner, But glad your mother came through the surgery and is recovering. Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery.

And, ENJOY YOUR VACATION!!! And tell us all about it when you get back.

martha

Happy, happy Valentine's day to a remarkable group of caregivers!