Page 15 of 137 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Correction

Okay, I should have said, "It's a wonder I'm not TOTALLY gray yet." I have very dark brown hair, and those random gray hairs seem to GLOW. But..when I was little, I was a blonde. So my story is...if anyone is indelicate enough to point out one of my gray hairs...that it's really a blonde hair, coming back. I like that thought MUCH better!

You know, that good book and hot coffee idea sounds great, especially since I've decided today's the day to do total housecleaning...

We'll see how much willpower I have!

Vicky

Vicky--- My apologies for being indelicate. I wasn't trying to pin you -- just noticing all of my gray suddenly.

To All of You In The Frozen North ----I hope you are all ok and not having problems with power outages or burst pipes (do they do that up there or only here where we aren't built for the cold?) or driving problems. Be safe, stay warm.

For me, this has been a yucky week. No business, dogs messing up everything and no energy to pick up after them constantly, Julian having more neuropathic pain this week and pretty much staying in bed or the recliner needing to be waited on hand and foot. No inspiration to cook. About the only thing I accomplished was the ton of laundry. And so it goes. Though we aren't having blizzards, it is too cold to enjoy getting outside. Just a gray week. Think I'll play hookie the rest of the day and crawl back into bed with that book. :-)

Winter is still here, isn't it? We're on the edge of that huge storm; I think we got about 5", maybe a little less. It's hard to tell sometimes because the wind is so strong up here; it blows completely away in some places, and drifts amazingly high in others.

Bri and I are getting ready for the trip to Craig this Sunday. She's trying to get her homework out of the way so she won't have to worry about it during the next two weeks.

Martha..no, no! I didn't think YOU were being indelicate when I read that. No apologies needed. Actually, I was thinking of my two younger brothers, who, even though they're both grown, can still exhibit bratty behavior at times! I hate those gray weeks; I think we all have them at times. What are you reading? (Asks the librarian)

Jackie...how's your weather?? Are you buried in snow?

Better go dig out the suitcase for Brianna..

Vicky

I'm embarrassed to admit to the librarian (or anyone else) what I read! Never much of substance. I have so much to read at work that is so dry, that when I have time to read for pleasure it is usually just novels. I read for escape and I love things like James Patterson and his Alex Cross novels or Patricia Cornwell or anything along those lines. Right now I'm reading her book on Jack the Ripper which I hope will be interesting. At least it's one more take on who he might have been.

Never say "Just novels"...

As a librarian, I've seen it all, believe me! I'm very much in favor of reading for pleasure and escape; I call it bubble gum for the mind. Cornwell's book on Jack the Ripper was fascinating! I bought it for Bri for Christmas, and stole it myself. I'm just starting the second novel in a new mystery series by Deborah Morgan. It's called "The Weedless Widow" (the first one was "Death is a Cabaret"). The really fun part is that the author is a friend of mine...and she mentions me in her acknowledgements!

Vicky

I read a book on Jack the Ripper by an Eton literature professor that speculated that he was really Lewis Carroll.
    Just thought I'd throw that in....

Friday 5 pm

Books??? You want to talk books? I'm reading obsessively these days--which usually means I don't want to pay the bills, do the wash, vacuum, clean the birdcages, grade papers, write . . . but, mmmmmm, some lovely hours this week curled up with:

Lance Armstrong's "It's Not About the Bike"--that guy rocks, for lots of reasons, but my personal favorite is how much he loves his wife, and how clear he is about that.

Karen Hesse's "Out of the Dust"--written for young teens and handed to me by my 7th-grader with instructions to stop whatever I was doing and read it right now. Happy to report that she has great taste, (but it made me cry).

A new one called "Bel Canto" that is turning out to be wonderful; I'll keep you posted, I'm only a little ways in.

Bruce took the kids out of school and up to Snoqualmie Pass today (in the Cascade Range just east of here).

Heather skied, Emily snowboarded, and he did his runs on the monoski.

He called a little while ago to say that they were all still in one piece, and heading home.

The snow was hard and icy, he said, so he crashed a lot . . . I still struggle to grasp the attraction of winter days spent on the side of a mountain. He struggles to grasp why I can't get what's so necessary about it.

(When he was in rehab, there was a snowboarder there--a guy from Alaska with a T-something injury. The nurses all told me how every winter they were getting lots of SCIed boarders, more every year.) When they come back from the mountain, I run their snow clothes through the laundry and stash them ready for the next trip up, and try to be glad they love it so much. What else can I do?

Young adult novels

Some of the best writing around today is being done for young adults, in my humble opinion. Kate--"Out of the Dust" was fantastic! I am slowly encouraging my 16-year-old niece that reading is not horrific. I hit on one book she LOVED ("Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson) and since then she will only read what I recommend. I gave her several books for Christmas; "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli, and "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes" by Chris Crutcher were two of the titles. Both are incredible, hard-to-put down. Kate, if your 7th-grader hasn't read "The Trolls" by Polly Horvath...have her try it. It's funny and touching.

Has anyone read "The Lovely Bones"? If so...reactions?

Lovely Bones--

No, not that one, but I did read her memoir ("lucky") about surviving being raped while going home to her dorm one night. Tough material, handled well . . . like a surgeon or something, she cuts very delicately to the center of the pain, and gets you.

For some reason, people, I am, like, so angry at the whole world lately. I keep catching myself snarling internally. Sucks.

Originally posted by kate:

For some reason, people, I am, like, so angry at the whole world lately. I keep catching myself snarling internally. Sucks.
    Kate, I definitely have those days and probably everyone else does too. I hope today is better for you!

Today I'm hoping to take Smokey Joe (the last foster dog) out to meet the dogs at an acquaintance's. If they all get along and like each other, maybe he'll have a new home. Though after 3 months or so, I have to say I'm awfully attached to him. I think I need about 100 acres fenced to run a dog rescue mission. There is definitely something wrong with me when I like dogs more than most people (all present company excepted of course). Maybe it's that unconditional love they give. Oh well, if I end up leaving him there, I can imagine bawling all the way home.