Page 131 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3181121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1364

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

I am a bit mixed up...is this the forum that is private?
    No, this is a public forum, not private. Obie, Kate, lil'sis and myself were some of the originators of this thread many years ago, actually 7 years ago yesterday. Take a stroll and read, there are some real gems in this thread.

Read long enough and you will even get where the "Pass the pipe" began.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Obi, I had a feeling something was up with Bill's sore, sounds like a mess, a flapadoodle and a plain old drag. You guys have been dealing with sores forever, can't imagine how wearing it is. I'm so sorry. We have been extremely lucky not to have a sore in these 9 years, OMG 9 years! I do think having tilt on Jim's powerchair has been key and turning once during the night. For the first time, Jim has a serious cold and right now it is a day by day decision on whether to go to the ER, quad coughing and oral antibiotics will hopefully work, he hasn't been in a hospital since the accident 9 years ago and neither of us want to go that route due to the high rate of infection there.
    And your knee, shit! One would think we are getting older around here for cripe sake. Are you working? Hopefully you don't have to be on your feet all day. I had better open up another bottle of wine to correctly commiserate! My shoulder was wanky for about 4-5 months last spring, I babied it as much as I could. Ended up having to lift some heavy furniture and the pain just simply went away! It was freakin' miraculous, really! But it does bite that body parts are drooping, wrinkling and aching-I mean inside I still don't FEEL as old as I am. Anyway, take of yourself Obi, here take the pipe and relax.
    Cheese, who's sick at your house? The youngest boy? Oy vey, they keep you running! Are you saying Martha moved? Oops, gotta go cough-assist, later. Deb

Okay .. it's official I'm losing it .. I've resorted to using Miracle Mist on Bill's sore (ordered off the internet) . Hoping for a Xmas miracle I guess ...... I'm losing my optimism with this rotation flap thing .. in fact I think the tunneling has extended somewhat ... I just don't know anymore but I don't remember being able to stick that damn q-tip in so far (my measuring technique) I just can't see what good this flap did ...... aaaarrrrgggg ..... okay .... feeling a little better !!

But let's talk xmas a little bit .... I'm a nervous wreck and will remain so until Julie (aka Juliebug my oldest daughter) gets on the plane and lands in San Jose where she will be spending the holiday with Mr.Coffee. For those who don't know or remember she and Cory have been in a relationship for close to a year now ...... thanks to CC and XBox ..... she is going to help him decorate his tree, cook lamb for their dinner and then they are boarding a big boat for a Mexican cruise ... I'm so excited for the 2 of them ...... we Skpe with Cory often and its pretty clear to me they're crazy for each other .... I don't want to jinx them by yaking it up too much about their relationship here but I don't mind saying I'm very pleased she's seeing Cory .. he's such a great guy .. but if you read any of his posts you already know that ..... the long distance thing is becoming more and more of an issue for them so I realize it's just a matter of time before ... well you know !!

So besides being minus her for xmas .. and my snowbird parents .. and sister and brother-in-law we will be a smaller group this year but c'est la vie ..... more turkey and perogies for us ! How's everyones holiday plans going so far .... the stores are crazy up here... I lost my mind and took my mil shopping yesterday .. it was a nightmare ... but I did my duty as she is 92 years young and had been dropping hints for quite awhile threatening to drive herself .... her driving is becoming a real cause for concern so if anyone has any advice on how to handle "the talk" I would appreciate it. Not being able to drive would be a huge change in lifestyle for her but it really is time for everyone's safety !

We do the traditional meal pretty much .... I'm cooking the bird and taking it to my sis's. We all kind of pool our resources so there is always way too much food of course ..... I hope and pray you all have a lovely holiday .. remember to count your blessings .....

Obie
    ..... and say an extra prayer for our dear sweet Raven
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Hey Obie,

Just popping in to say, I had a stage 3 sore that wasn't healing and Miracle Mist actually helped a whole lot. Healing picked up and finally got rid of it. Was it a "miracle"? don't know but I would and do recommend it. Hope it does something for Bill. damn...

We all get a kick out of reading the posts of Mr. C and Julie, it's such a pleasure to see good come from a sci support board. Haha, we hope for a longtime romance too, otherwise they may stop posting.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Just a note to say that I am new to this site. Have read some of this thread and do plan to read the whole thing. I have looked at this sight every day since finding it. I wish I had found it earlier. I am the caregiver of my husband who has a T-4 level SCI. He had a motorcycle accident 4 years ago. He spent 3 months at Shephard Center in Atlanta. Things are pretty smooth with us at this moment (knock on wood). As you all know, things can go crazy in the blink of an eye. I am so thankful for this site. It's one thing to share with friends and family but to have people who have walked in your shoes is another. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Welcome georgiacare ..... our opening line here is "sorry you had to but really glad you found us".
    My husband Bill has a T5 injury he received almost 12 years ago now ... I know what you mean about knocking on wood it's like you're afraid to give air to the thought in case you jinx something ! But it's kind of indicitive of how we live our lives after a sci .... one day at a time ... savouring every moment in a way we took completely for granted pre injury .... even moment by moment.
    In fact you've caught me enjoying one of those moments right now since I'm still on a high from witnessing our Olympic victory yesterday in the hockey game ..... I hate to admit it but I'm one of those fair weather fans and only truly enjoy a hockey game when there's something in it for us ..... although all my kids played .... including the girls .... geez maybe I'm not really "canajun'" deep down ...... NOT ....
    Look forward to getting to know you gerogiacare ....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Thanks Obieone and congratulations on ALL of Canada's metals. I too am a fair weather fan of all sports, except for NASCAR. I'm down here in the middle of that and have been a huge fan since early 80's. I did watch some of the games this time and have to say the winter games are probably my favorite. I do love the equestrian events in summer though. We're on the brink of spring down here. The news today is rain and possible snow through midnight tonight. UGGH! I am so ready for spring. I ride and compete in barell racing and competitions start this weekend. Haven't had much saddle time either. I'll bet you are up to your eyes in snow up there? My husband too is tending a pressure sore. Had flap surgery in October and, bless his heart, has been in bed almost every day since then. He can get up but on days like this, he just opts to stay in bed and off of it. Well, better go, have to go to work.
    Last edited by georgiacaregiver; 03-02-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling correction

I'd like to join in this online journal. I am another SCI mom. I'm having some rough times lately dealing with my daughter's anger and non-comliance issues and lack of socialbility My daughter was in her accident July 4th 2008 while my husband and I were riding our Harleys to Ashland OR. At that time, Meadow was 13-yrs old and now just turned 15 in January. We just got home from Shriner's Hospital where she was supposed to spent 2-3 weeks in their advance PT program; however, she was sent home because she didn't want to participate fully. She's rude to people and will tell you straight out she doesn't like people. I'm the only one who can see the positive qualities in her becasue I'm the only one she allows to see them--the laughing, the heart-felt talks we have on what her goals in life are, her sense of humor and playfullness. Leaving her at Shriners and on her own, was a test run for bigger things supposed to happen this summer, like Project Walk in Southern California, which is expensive and I would need to take off 3 weeks off from work. My husband and I are not sure if we would be spending our money wisely since she was so non-compliant at Shriners, although, project Walk does not impose nearly the same rules. We don't impose a lot of rules in our home as long as she follows the basics, but I'm not sure if I am enabling her. I want her to be successful and strong-willed, but I don't know how to redirect her strong-willed temperment towards recovery. Can anyone out there give sound advice on getting my SCI teen out of this dark place. I'm a social worker that works with family of special needs children and I just can't apply my knowledge to my own situation.

Quote Originally Posted by u2treasure View Post
    I'd like to join in this online journal. I am another SCI mom. I'm having some rough times lately dealing with my daughter's anger and non-comliance issues and lack of socialbility My daughter was in her accident July 4th 2008 while my husband and I were riding our Harleys to Ashland OR. At that time, Meadow was 13-yrs old and now just turned 15 in January. We just got home from Shriner's Hospital where she was supposed to spent 2-3 weeks in their advance PT program; however, she was sent home because she didn't want to participate fully. She's rude to people and will tell you straight out she doesn't like people. I'm the only one who can see the positive qualities in her becasue I'm the only one she allows to see them--the laughing, the heart-felt talks we have on what her goals in life are, her sense of humor and playfullness. Leaving her at Shriners and on her own, was a test run for bigger things supposed to happen this summer, like Project Walk in Southern California, which is expensive and I would need to take off 3 weeks off from work. My husband and I are not sure if we would be spending our money wisely since she was so non-compliant at Shriners, although, project Walk does not impose nearly the same rules. We don't impose a lot of rules in our home as long as she follows the basics, but I'm not sure if I am enabling her. I want her to be successful and strong-willed, but I don't know how to redirect her strong-willed temperment towards recovery. Can anyone out there give sound advice on getting my SCI teen out of this dark place. I'm a social worker that works with family of special needs children and I just can't apply my knowledge to my own situation.
    Hi, u2treasure

I don't have a disabled child -- my husband broke c6 9 years ago yesterday -- but I do have a couple of daughters, now 19 and 21, who were in middle school when he got hurt.

What's Meadow's injury level? How incomplete is she? What form did the noncompliance at Shriner's take? Was she antisocial before the accident, or is that new?

I'm sure you've heard this before, but it's important to remember that it takes a long time for both body and spirit to recover even a fraction of the old energy, and that pretty much goes for all of you . . . I've heard Wise say that a cervical injury will steal 5 years of your life, a lower one at least 2.

Seems about right to me. Maybe some others here can speak to your specific question, but in the meantime I wanted to say good job, Mom! Sounds like she's lucky to have you.

-----------

On another note . . . been awhile since I read this journal, or wrote in it, for that matter. The daughter I was helping with her math all those years ago is graduating from college in a couple of months, and getting married right after that. Yikes!

I remember when the four of us were in his hospital room, the night before he finally got to come home. By that time I'd realized what a tough thing was ahead of us . . . those wretched first months trying to adjust & keep our heads up and not look back at how it used to be. My terror about whether or not I could manage, whether or not he'd be okay, whether or not the girls would ever be happy again. I said then that I just didn't want to deal with the next few years, that I wanted it to be 5 or 10 years later, like magic.

And now it is. My instinct then was right . . . somehow we did get through to the other side, and all of us sort of found ways to cope and even thrive. But I still hate SCI passionately and completely.

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    I remember when the four of us were in his hospital room, the night before he finally got to come home. By that time I'd realized what a tough thing was ahead of us . . . those wretched first months trying to adjust & keep our heads up and not look back at how it used to be. My terror about whether or not I could manage, whether or not he'd be okay, whether or not the girls would ever be happy again. I said then that I just didn't want to deal with the next few years, that I wanted it to be 5 or 10 years later, like magic.

And now it is. My instinct then was right . . . somehow we did get through to the other side, and all of us sort of found ways to cope and even thrive. But I still hate SCI passionately and completely.
    Amen Kate.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!