Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    Martha, the starter of this thread, a belated happy birthday. Thought of you all day girlfriend but never sent an email, sorry

May this be a kick ass year!

cheesecake, thanks so much! You're so sweet to remember.

I popped in here for a refresher course. While it's certainly not SCI, I'm joining the caregiver's club again for the next 3 months while my husband is immobilized. He shattered his tibial plateau and had surgery to put in two plates, heaven only knows how many screws and bone grafts. I was shocked when he was actually in the hospital for a week -- I didn't think they did that for anything short of SCI these days. Now that he's home, I'm finding I'm not so good at the caregiving thing any more. So, where did I come but to the safety of the 'cave'.

I haven't had time to read and catch up, but I hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Martha .... sorry to hear about your hubby's bad luck but it's nice to feel your aura back here in Caregiving ..... it's still a sanctuary but its become more like the tomb of silence lately ... and the pipe ... the pipe appears to be lost (either that or Deb's hogging it ... for like 4 months now ) !! Nice to hear from you ... truly ...

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by martha View Post
    cheesecake, thanks so much! You're so sweet to remember.

I popped in here for a refresher course. While it's certainly not SCI, I'm joining the caregiver's club again for the next 3 months while my husband is immobilized. He shattered his tibial plateau and had surgery to put in two plates, heaven only knows how many screws and bone grafts. I was shocked when he was actually in the hospital for a week -- I didn't think they did that for anything short of SCI these days. Now that he's home, I'm finding I'm not so good at the caregiving thing any more. So, where did I come but to the safety of the 'cave'.

I haven't had time to read and catch up, but I hope everyone is doing well.
    Martha: Sorry to hear about hubby. What the hell did he do to shatter his leg like that? Hope he is on the mend soon and that he is a decent patient.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Hi Martha .... sorry to hear about your hubby's bad luck but it's nice to feel your aura back here in Caregiving ..... it's still a sanctuary but its become more like the tomb of silence lately ... and the pipe ... the pipe appears to be lost (either that or Deb's hogging it ... for like 4 months now ) !! Nice to hear from you ... truly ...

Obie
    The pipe, actual, not metaphoric has been in use in my house since Dec. I will be happy to pass it off.

Cheesecake, we honestly don't know what happened but he managed to fall onto the tile floor and landed in just that perfect way to cause as much damage as he possibly could. The whole thing is a little too "deja vu all over again" at the moment.

Obie, I still haven't read much, but glad Bill's wounds are healing. That's such an ongoing struggle and so hard to fight. Good job!
    Last edited by martha; 06-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Hey all - well the summer is fast a fleeting {{sigh}} ... the nights start getting shorter !!
    On the up side fall is really pretty spectacular here on the prairies .. the colour of the leaves and the glorious smells! The change in seasons is good for the soul .. and I know that ... it's just that it's so much easier getting out and about for Bill {{{sigh}}} which of course .. in turn .. makes my life easier !!
    But ... enough feeling sorry for myself ... we are here .. right now .. so no sense wasting time thinking about what can't be changed ... so let's just enjoy this moment ....
    How's everyone's summer been going so far?? It's been unusually cool here on the prairies .... but apparently the forecast is for above normal temps for the rest of Aug .... no pontoon boat rides this year .... yet .... as some of you may recall we had a little oopsie daisy last year so we will be much smarter about that this year if we ever get out again ...

Love to hear how everyone else is doing .....

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 08-08-2009 at 01:54 PM.

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obie? Are you alright? Deb

Hi Deb .....

.... in a word ..... no not really .... but since you asked ......

Bill had what is called "rotation flap" on his right isichium (which is that same damn sore we've been treating for over 2 years now) about 3 weeks ago .. it was healing well and then of course the stitches came apart at the end of the incision so the surgeon had to re-stitch it ...... ugh .... it looks okay again and the doc says the flap is still viable but I'm not very optimistic ! We'll see .... with xmas coming and the change in the weather(about 4 feet of new snow) I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment ...... oh and the icing on the cake .... I blew my good knee and can hardly put any weight on it ... looks like I'll have to have another replacement sooner than later .... I've tried everything to get some relief for the pain but not even my reiki hands help ... if I could just figure out how to loose about 30 pounds it would help alot and I know this .. but when it hurts so much to move ... well its a catch 22 ......

On the upside Bill has been very attentive and kind to me .... doing whatever he can .. but I'm always after him to get back into bed and get off his butt ..... we sound like like Ozzy and Sharon in a sad pathetic sort of way ..... anyhoo ... this to shall pass as it always does but I won't lie it gets harder the older I get .... just don't bounce back like I used too !!

I do love xmas though and I look forward to the kids coming home and all the food and family time ...... the wine ..... I'm doing all my shopping on line this year and found some great websites with nifty gifts http://shop.thehungersite.com/store/...FcZM5Qod0yBVpg ..... some of the proceeds going to worthy causes close to my heart ..... an easy way to give twice ....

Hope all is well in your world ....... I do wish our journal was more active .... I worry everyone here just "stuffs it " and doesn't share like we all know we should to stay sane .... but I guess everyone is just busy living life .... when I get overloaded I find it hard myself to pop in here to touch base with you all ......

....... and that darn pipe still seems to be awol ..... wonder where its gotten to?????? .... maybe under that rock with the Enya CD's and ice cream ....... {{{{{hug}}}} ......

Helloooooo ..... anyone out there ........ ???? ......

Obieone

Jane Siberry

Obie~ Sorry it is going so rough for you and Bill again.
    That damn pipe took up full residence in my house last December and my son has been puffing on it daily since--jusst like with the original pipe.
    I think of this post often but you are right, I keep it bottled like I am sure many others do. I think if I posted I might start crying and never stop.
    Maybe not the worst thing for any of us to do.

Martha, moved out from under the rock and has also moved. Anyone who hasn't heard from her and wants to be in touch, send me a PM.

This is my all time favorite thread. I think of the ladies from this thread often. I even hear from Kathy every now and them which makes me smile. I miss Marm, and lil'sis, we hardly ever hear from you either.

Anyway, know that I hold you all close and near and dear to my heart. Hope you have a good Christmas everyone.

Love ya

P.S. Love your link for shopping
    Last edited by cheesecake; 12-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.

I am a bit mixed up...is this the forum that is private? the caregiving or caregivers? Lately haven't been posting much as dummy me didn't realize I have opened my life online to some I would prefer not knowing about my life....
    Obie, I too wish this thread had more action...and I am so sorry with all you have been dealing with...maybe I'll do my rant in the womans forum...sending ya hugs!