Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

Just dropped in for a quick peek, and to see how everyone is faring. It seems so long ago that we were all here, day and/or night! This board, and the wonderful people here got me through some very rough times, and I will always remember all of you.

I just read about Dogger...and I can't believe it. I haven't processed that information yet. My heart is so heavy, and I hope his family, esp. his MonStars, are doing well.

I saw Martha was here...HELLO! I hope everyone is forging into the new year with hope and happiness..

Blessings,
    Vicky aka SCI Mom

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    ~Philo of Alexandria

Hi Vicky!!

How nice to hear from you. Yes the wheel of life grinds away and so some of us are still here sometimes limping along but "going forward" none the less ...... it's still so hard to believe Dogger is really gone .... a true gentelman and passionate advocate for finding a cure .... I like to think he is in a place where he can inspire and muse all the reseachers and government bodies to find the answers we all so desperately hope for free from the confines of his damamged body. I pray he is at peace.

How is Bri doing ?? Is she still in college? I pray all is well for you and your family. The newly elected adminstration has bouyed everyones hopes and dreams here at CC I think. Take care!

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 01-26-2009 at 10:08 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Still crazy after all these years

So, the newest drama (and I am married to the ultimate No Drama spouse. Obama's got nothing on him ~)

The newest drama is about a detached retina, which my dear gangly spouse got a few weeks ago. Picture a bizarre few weeks of anxiety, visits to the eye doctor, "positioning" surgery, nasty drops and ointments, nights of "sleeping" while "positioned" face-down over a little face-helmet.

By yesterday afternoon he was drilled just about down to his core, gallantly making the effort to sit at the dinner table with a fierce headache and waves of nausea from the weird vision.

Know where my lizard brain goes at times like this? Back to the winter of 1976/7, when my then-lover got cancer in his brain and I watched as it slowly took him over. He got strange in November and he was gone before Valentine's Day.

I mean, my cortex is smart, eh, and knows that things are different now, not the same issues, not the same person, etc. . . . . and still some part of me is watching and going, "Oh, I remember this part, I know what happens next," in the creepiest possible way. Same thing happened when my husband was in the ICU after his injury. Whispery lizard brain: "This is when he starts dying."

So, today when we made the 6th or 7th visit to the eye doc and he was like, "Yeah, this looks great. You can go back to your normal life as soon as it feels right, probably a week at the most . . . " I had to turn my face to the wall so no one would notice that I was the one with teary eyes.

Oh Kate, that's a terrible scar to carry. Thank GOD Bruce will be ok.

Obie! Thanks for the 'shout out'....I hope you and Bill are both well, and hanging in there. Brianna is still in college, but will graduate in December. She has her sights set on being a Victim's Advocate, and working for an attorney a little closer to home.

I'm so encouraged by President Obama's election, as well.

Take care...Vicky

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
    ~Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    The newest drama is about a detached retina, which my dear gangly spouse got a few weeks ago.................................
    So, today when we made the 6th or 7th visit to the eye doc and he was like, "Yeah, this looks great. You can go back to your normal life as soon as it feels right, probably a week at the most . . . " I had to turn my face to the wall so no one would notice that I was the one with teary eyes.
    Oh my Kate I'm sorry you had to go through that ........ but thank the gods he's going to be okay. Isn't it amazing how we keep pulling it out and pulling it out like a rabbit's magic hat ..... endless reams of guts and determination. Somehow we get through yet another crisis .... although I have noticed that it gets a little harder to bounce back.

We are investigating an elusive infection hiding somewhere in Bill's body so we are currently preparing for an overnight trip for him to have a white blood cell scan thing that comes in 2 parts (hence the overnight) We are barely speaking to one another just trying to get through this together ... it seems it takes all my energy just to put one foot in front of the other and get through a day. But that seems to be how I cope now ..... stay focused and be silent ... it never fails to read somewhere here that I am not alone facing yet another challenge. God bless us all !!

And p.s. Kate ...... gangly is good !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obie, you sure are NOT alone. And if your hubs wasn't a stubborn old coot that won't get on CC, he wouldn't be either!

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    We are barely speaking to one another just trying to get through this together ... it seems it takes all my energy just to put one foot in front of the other and get through a day. But that seems to be how I cope now ..... stay focused and be silent ...
    Been there, done that.

Picture me holding your hand, honey.

Hey you guys. Nice to hear from Vicky, I'm glad your daughter is doing so well. And yes, the change in Washington has been such a breath of fresh air. Jim and I, well okay, I cried while watching the inauguration; it has been such a long 8 years. Kate, it's good to hear that Bruce is better, eyes are especially scarey, I think. Jim gets retinopathy due to his Type I diabetes occasionally and it is not cool. And Obie (she says, while passing the pipe) I am so sorry. I am very lucky that Jim has never had a skin issue since leaving the hospital. I think the tilt feature on his w/c has been the saving grace, and he is one of those lucky guys that had an actual ass pre-injury, so he still has some padding. I saw the pic of Bill that your daughter posted and Bill looks alot thinner to me. I send you many thoughts and well wishes. You know, they say that the latter part of January is the worst for being down in the dumps, so you just keep that pipe for a while. We are holding onto our night out to see the Neville Brothers and Dr. John in early February to get through these days. It has been bitter cold with lots of snow again this year, I can just hear Dogger saying Why do you live there and shaking his head. Deb

Hey Lilsister: Been trying to get in touch with you but no replies to my email. Can you possibly send me a PM or email at my job.
    Big hug to you and Jim, I have been wondering about the 2 of you.
    Hugs,
    B~
    Every day I wake up is a good one