Page 12 of 137 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate's On Line Journal

whoops!

Thursday night

Boy, what I wouldn't give to see Jackie turning cartwheels! She's right, Martha. You're still yourself, and it's wonderful to hear you sounding happy. I think it was maybe a month or so ago when I realized I felt like dancing. I've taught step aerobics and sometimes line-dancing routines, but for the longest time it was like I'd become one of those people who just doesn't dance.

And then one day I realized I needed to turn on the Dixie Chicks and move the furniture . . . yeah.

Jackie, I did have a notion about a year ago (good memory!) to put together a humorous book about life with a mushed spinal cord. I wanted to find a way to show the actuality of it without being all heavy and/or medical. The literature about SCI is pathetic. Either you're reading a phony-sounding spiritual miracle of acceptance, or you're a brave soul soldiering onward, or you're up to your thighs in medicinal minutiae . . . yawn.

I got interrupted in this project by the realtime task of living gracefully (and humorously, dammit!) with this stupid injury, but it hasn't completely been abandoned. I struggle with time constraints. No, I just struggle, I guess.

Hey, guess what? My family is going to Sarasota in February! I've rented us a house near the famous white-sand beaches for a week, and WE ARE GOING TO LIVE WELL there. The big guy has been working hard on the treadmill . . . I mean to take a sunset walk on that beach with him, by God. He did 1.2 mph for a few minutes last night . . . that's practically strolling!

Kate, Bruce's progress is wonderful! You'll make that walk on the beach with him. And we'll all be grinning for you when you do! With your writing style, I wish you would put something together as you had planned. I know time is hard (impossible?) to find, but it would be great for all of those that come after us.

Jackie, thanks. Hope springs eternal that this time the light at the end of the tunnel isn't another oncoming train. And like everyone else, I would love to see you turning those cartwheels! I never could do that.....
    Bif sounds like a great cat. I love the fact that he knew just who to get friendly with.

Vicky, good advice about the foot. I'll try. As to color, I need help from someone with more taste than I have. My favorite colors are the deep jewel tones, but I don't want to paint a bathroom emerald green or sapphire blue or amethyst. Actually green is my favorite and since that's the "garden" bathroom I'm thinking of an almost white with just a hint of green. But then I'm not really a pastel type person. Maybe I should go back to being depressed and inactive if I can't even make such a minor decision!

Ok, there are lots more caregivers out there than are posting here. Is this because no one else needs/wants to "talk" or because they aren't comfortable doing so? I, for one, would love to hear from more of you. After all, the idea is to share experiences and feelings, good and bad, serious or comical. For instance, Russell where are you? You're always interesting! Anyone out there?

Today I am replacing door frames that were eaten by the ex-foster dog. Not my idea of a perfect Saturday, but for some weird reason I kind of get into the carpentry thing anyway. It's the painting that needs to be done that I dread -- moving furniture, etc. Ok to paint empty rooms, but yuck on the ones that are already full. And yes, the bathroom is being postponed due to inability to select a color.

Heh everybody. I managed to get away for 4 nights, 5 days to sunny, freezing Florida. I returned to less of a mess than I used to pre-sci. Remarkable! I paid my 17 year old son to take care of the dogs and he took care of everything else...guess he's growing up!

Hate that decorating thing, paint chips are always wrong and you never know it till ya buy a gallon and slap some on the wall. We have been in our new house 7 months and the cream color walls (per builder) have really grown on me. I did shop today for spring flowers, silk variety and was going to try my hand at arranging, only to realize the glue gun has not yet been unpacked... so do I unpack some more or start the annual tax thing which is what I had intended to begin? Anyone here have experience building a new home and familiar with possible deductions (when you start from scratch)? For instance, is it only the difference in price between a regular size door and a wider one or is it the whole door? Hardwood vs. carpet? etc. I guess I should talk with our accountant.

Kate, I have a very good friend who lives in Sarasota, need any restaurant or shopping suggestions? If you are looking for breakfast/lunch try their restaurant "First Watch". I believe there are 2 in town, delicious! I met a friend at First Watch for breakfast here in Cincy this morning. (they have many throughout our fine country.)Try the Turkey Dill,mmmmmmm. Hope you have a fabulous trip! We have not been on a family vacation in 3 1/2 years. I planned several all which were cancelled due to issues such as UTI, etc. so I stopped. I have taken our children for a few fun days in NYC., don't know what's next, no plans yet, but may go back to NYC. Our children continue to travel with friends and family. But when it come to hubby, I must hold a record in cancellations. We are having a literal heat wave today... sun shining, no wind chill, must be almost 30 degrees.

Martha,

sorry I will post more often. I read all the posts everyday and all you ladies are something else.( I would have said gals just to piss you off but Galveston is just a little too close for comfort if you took me seriously:&gt

We have a wonderful new PM&R doc who is now monitoring Steve's ITB Pump. She is Dr. Charlotte Stelly/Seitz. It was so funny the first time we met her. We were in the waiting room and this woman walks out to tells us it's time for us to come in to the office. A very friendly lady with a red sweater decorated with candy canes and other Christmas decorations etc. After she showed us into a room, she then introduced herself as Dr Seitz! I had thought she was a nurse at first. But she proceeded to thoroughly examine Steve and then refilled his Baclofen Pump.
    She also found it very interesting that Steve had been helped by the Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments at UTMB because she believes in them and actually supported some legislation in Texas promoting it for brain injuries. I look forward to our next appointment with her.

Russ Byrd

Russell surely you don't think I could be one of those violent, axe-wielding gals like Karla Faye do you? Glad to hear you're going to post more often -- I always look forward to your wit and to news of Steve's progress. I REALLY want updates on this new doc. Every visit with you-know-who drives me closer to the brink of insanity.

Vicky, have a great trip to Michigan. Have you considered kitty-napping the pets and relocating them?

Vicki - Where are you? We miss you! Tell Bri she HAS to share that computer!

Russ - Did ya see the get together post? Hope you can make it!

Wasn't the Dixie Chicks rendition of the National Anthem just totally awesome at the SuperBowl?!! Oh - and if you like the Dixie Chicks, try listening to Alison Krause and Union Station - a little different, but awesome.

Off to feed the dogs before they take my leg off! Ta for now. Jackie

Hey everybody!

...seems like everyone is staying busy. I didn't have too much chance to post, but decided to take a few minutes today to do a little update.

First I'm happy our dog can finally go outside and stay there (where she originally belongs), after spending a week inside the house due to cold teperatures. Needless to say, I got my floors cleaned up (I could be making sweaters - there is plenty of dog hair to use!) and everything else... Then, while comming home from work I run out of windshield wiper fluid, so I pull inside the garage to put some in and find out that my oil cap has been missing (for how long? I don't know.). Oh, well... Must have been the place that changed my oil last time, I guess. That was a few weeks back...
    Hubby is getting ready for a nose surgery on Friday... During his accident his face got a bit busted up, especially his nose and he was unable to breath thru it ever since. I just hope everything goes well... I'm a worrier!!!

Then we should be starting full blast refurnishing our house. We plan to turn our family room into his gym. But first things need to get out of there!!! He has the harness and the electric winch should be on the way and we need to make a trip to the store and buy elliptical trainer... So hopefully, after he is recovered from the surgery, he can give it 100% again.

OK so much for the journal entry today... There is a bench in my hallway wanting some serious glue/screwdriver attention... maybe I will wait for hubby to give me hand w/it...

krajaxa

Hey all~

I have LITERALLY two minutes on my brother's computer. My trip to Michigan has been nothing but running around, but I'm accomplishing everything that needed to be done, so that's good...

I'll be home Friday, and back to normal! Whew...I can't wait!!

Saw the "get together" thread..what a GREAT idea! I'll post more later, after I catch up on the reading here, but my first thought : we should all meet in Galveston and paint Martha's guest bathroom!!

Vicky